Arcam A85 Amplifier Monitor Audio RS6 Silver now gone. What now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
max337 said:
I assume you mean Model C? Jeez they are oddities to look at, which doesn't matter really. Expensive too. Hope I get to hear them.

Haha, lol at the SA1s bass description. Never heard that about them. That couldn't be improved via amp & cables, no? Cyrus or K2? Mind you considering their price though, PMC are within range as are the Model C, just. Thanks PP.

No. It's purely cabinet capacity (or lack of).

GO.AND.BUY.ARROS.NOW.AND.ARCAM.

If you're worried about s/hand gear, I'm sure the dealer could use some antiseptic wipes, if you ask nicely. *blum3*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:
Haha, lol at the SA1s bass description. Never heard that about them. That couldn't be improved via amp & cables, no? Cyrus or K2? Mind you considering their price though, PMC are within range as are the Model C, just. Thanks PP.

They work fine in a small room, provided you don't need a lot of scale. They sound very fast and natural, with great imaging, but I suspect they may not have enought bass for you....but are worth a listen.

The problem they have is that they need their own expensive stands to sound their best and the LS50s are better (imo), while costing much less.

I'll forget about SA1s then. LS50 are way up on the list, the ugly things hehe. Apparently prosper with a powerful but good amp? What would you pair them with for an audition?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

They work fine in a small room, provided you don't need a lot of scale. They sound very fast and natural, with great imaging, but I suspect they may not have enought bass for you....but are worth a listen.

The problem they have is that they need their own expensive stands to sound their best and the LS50s are better (imo), while costing much less.

I'll forget about SA1s then. LS50 are way up on the list, the ugly things hehe. Apparently prosper with a powerful but good amp? What would you pair them with for an audition?

Since the LS50s are £800, it leaves £1200 for an amp...so I would be looking at:

Arcam A19 (A39 if you can afford it).

Creek Evolution 50A (100A if possible)

Musical Fidelity M3si

Croft Intgrated

Sugden Mystro

Electrcompaniet PI-1

Peachtree Nova 125

Rega Elex R (Elicit R if possible)

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
haha, it's not that! Good to see humour abound on the forum, even if it is at my expense. In all honesty I would love to do that PP but it's part of the reason I got shot of my current system. It is tough being me. :(

You 'normal' people with your wider choice and more bargains. Waaah.

I'm learning a bit here. Muchos grassy arse.
thumbs_up.gif

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, nice list. I didn't expect to be entertaining the idea of a Sugden Mystro or Electrcompaniet PI-1 tbh.

Are the LS50s really THAT good then, considering the amount of great speakers hovering around the same price bracket or below £1000?

Given you have an allergy to pre-owned stuff, have you thought about actives?

Most of the owners of AVI describe them as defying science, but they could well fit your budget and love of deep bass -- you could add a sub with a pair of DM5s and still have change for a weekend in the country.

(No, I've not heard them, nor do I want them)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
Thanks, nice list. I didn't expect to be entertaining the idea of a Sugden Mystro or Electrcompaniet PI-1 tbh.

Are the LS50s really THAT good then, considering the amount of great speakers hovering around the same price bracket or below £1000?

IMO. Yes....but with some provisos:

- They need correctly set up with room to breathe.

- They need solid stands that have been filled/part filled.

- They need a good amp.

- They do great bass for their size, but won't match the scale of the likes of the R500s.

I personally think they are easily the best speaker in their price range....they have great headroom, and will go on getting better as the system improves.....though get the above points wrong, and they can sound very ordinary.

They are a "must listen" speaker, as they are quite truthful (but still musical).

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Most of the owners of AVI describe them as defying science, but they could well fit your budget and love of deep bass -- you could add a sub with a pair of DM5s and still have change for a weekend in the country.

I've looked and hope to hear them. As I mentioned I am happy to forego that extra bass if the speakers are on par or above the RS6s as I was happy with them for years. A touch more bass would be nice, but only nice, all things considered. My list is growing! I'm moving to the country, kind of, so I'll spend the excess on overly expensive cables and interconnects, not!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

- They need a good amp.

- They do great bass for their size, but won't match the scale of the likes of the R500s.

I personally think they are easily the best speaker in their price range....they have great headroom, and will go on getting better as the system improves.....though get the above points wrong, and they can sound very ordinary.

They are a "must listen" speaker, as they are quite truthful (but still musical).

I too think they're a must listen, just from reading. I shall mix them amongst the amps you and PP have mentioned and maybe I need look no further. Are you familiar with the Arcam A85 and MA RS6 combination? That's what I'm used to so anything like it but better (subjective I know) would be great. Thanks.

max337 said:
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

- They need a good amp.

I too think they're a must listen, just from reading. I shall mix them amongst the amps you and PP have mentioned and maybe I need look no further. Are you familiar with the Arcam A85 and MA RS6 combination? That's what I'm used to so anything like it but better (subjective I know) would be great. Thanks.

Okay, the closest I've heard to Arcam presentation is Creek. However, I've not heard the latest incarnation, the Evo 50A. Speakerwise, if the 50s are similar to the Evo2, then look at Focal 714V. Similar size and presentation to the RS6s.

But... you'll be getting something a little different, not better.

If you want better but DON'T want to exceed your 2k budget, they don't come much better than the Arcam A38 and Totem Arros.

Yes the Kef LS50 are fabulous speakers, but aren't exceptional. If you go for Arcam A19 and LS50 (heard this combo together, alongside MA GX100) you'll get a very good sound with both. The A38 and Arros, even better IMHO.

Easy choice for me.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I highly recommend the DM5 with the AVI subwoofer. I couldn't be happier with mine as I've never heard any other system which I prefer.

You can read my impressions of the DM5's and the AVI subwoofer here in posts number 1, 38, 47 and 49. Clicky

But that said, I suspect that the larger AVI DM10 speakers for the same price as the DM5's plus subwoofer (£1500) would be the better option for most peoples needs. I chose the DM5's over the DM10's because I like small speakers for near field listening at a computer desk and the deeper bass that the sub provides comes in handy when watching movies, playing games and listening to electronc dance music that I'm so fond of.

But if it's purely just a regular music system and you're not too bothered about having a subwoofer to give you ultra deep bass that goes below 30Hz for movies and stuff then check out the DM10's. They have deeper bass than the DM5's on their own, go much louder and have slightly better clarity (which I struggle to imagine considering the DM5's are the clearest speakers that I've ever heard). Or if you can stretch your budget to £2300 you could get both the DM10's and the matching subwoofer and have the best of both worlds.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Another option which is well within your budget are the Mackie HR824 Mk2 active speakers for around £1000. Lots of volume and deep bass as well as good sound quality. Not quite at the same sound quality level as the AVI, Genelec and Opal speakers mentioned above but still very good and probably better than your previous system.

Hope there's some food for thought for you in these suggestions as it's always worth considering alternative options. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you insist on having a demo first, another good active option worth consideration are Genelec speakers. You can buy some very nice Genelec's like the 8040A for your budget. Just add a DAC/pre-amp such as the Matrix Mini or something similar and you're ready to roll for about £1900.

For even deeper bass consider the Genelec 8050A and Event Opel speakers both of which have 8" woofers but these are pushing the limit of your budget over £2000 when you include a DAC/pre-amp.

The sound quality of all these speakers for the price is very high. Super clear, smooth and unhyped. Very natural and pleasent sounding. They're a much better option than the regular passive hifi speakers and amplifiers for the same price IMO.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:

I am familiar with the Arcam sound, both old and modern and quite familiar with MA....and they work because together they integrate well (tonally)...the Arcam stops the MA sounding too "sharp".

One thing to bear in mind about the Arros, is how narrow they are....so make sure there are no kids or animals to knock them over

CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

I am familiar with the Arcam sound, both old and modern and quite familiar with MA....and they work because together they integrate well (tonally)...the Arcam stops the MA sounding too "sharp".

One thing to bear in mind about the Arros, is how narrow they are....so make sure there are no kids or animals to knock them over

That was one of the reasons why I didn't buy the Arros. Mind you, the big advantage the Arros have over the TB2s is I didn't have to look at those fugly stands.

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

I highly recommend the DM5 with the AVI subwoofer. I couldn't be happier with mine as I've never heard any other system which I prefer.

You can read my impressions of the DM5's and the AVI subwoofer here in posts number 1, 38, 47 and 49. Clicky

But that said, I suspect that the larger AVI DM10 speakers for the same price as the DM5's plus subwoofer (£1500) would be the better option for most peoples needs. I chose the DM5's over the DM10's because I like small speakers for near field listening at a computer desk and the deeper bass that the sub provides comes in handy when watching movies, playing games and listening to electronc dance music that I'm so fond of.

But if it's purely just a regular music system and you're not too bothered about having a subwoofer to give you ultra deep bass that goes below 30Hz for movies and stuff then check out the DM10's. They have deeper bass than the DM5's on their own, go much louder and have slightly better clarity (which I struggle to imagine considering the DM5's are the clearest speakers that I've ever heard). Or if you can stretch your budget to £2300 you could get both the DM10's and the matching subwoofer and have the best of both worlds.

See, I do recommend them... not often but...
wink_smile.gif

@ the OP: If you decide to buy AVIs you'll need to swear an oath. This entails rolling up your left trouser leg and practise a funny handshake. You must abide by Ash's rules that all passives are s**** and all passive owners are sad, misguided morons.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

@ the OP: If you decide to buy AVIs you'll need to swear an oath. This entails rolling up your left trouser leg and practise a funny handshake. You must abide by Ash's rules that all passives are s**** and all passive owners are sad, misguided morons.

:D

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

Wow, thanks. I really do have my work cut out come demo time! It's not an area I really considered although am aware of those actives. I have a lot of thinking to do also, not even moved into the new house yet so can't get a grip on placement etc. What fun! :D

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
If you insist on having a demo first, another good active option worth consideration are Genelec speakers. You can buy some very nice Genelec's like the 8040A for your budget. Just add a DAC/pre-amp such as the Matrix Mini or something similar and you're ready to roll for about £1900.

For even deeper bass consider the Genelec 8050A and Event Opel speakers both of which have 8" woofers but these are pushing the limit of your budget over £2000 when you include a DAC/pre-amp.

The sound quality of all these speakers for the price is very high. Super clear, smooth and unhyped. Very natural and pleasent sounding. They're a much better option than the regular passive hifi speakers and amplifiers for the same price IMO.

Cheers, I think I may have given the impression that I require MUCHOS bass, when I don't really. I think my combo lacked in that department only slightly. I had never heard of these speakers either, I'm hoping that I will be able to demo them as I think I was lucky blindly buying my system. I'm new to the active arena but am eager to hear what all the great reviews are on about!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Another option which is well within your budget are the Mackie HR824 Mk2 active speakers for around £1000. Lots of volume and deep bass as well as good sound quality. Not quite at the same sound quality level as the AVI, Genelec and Opal speakers mentioned above but still very good and probably better than your previous system.

Hope there's some food for thought for you in these suggestions as it's always worth considering alternative options. :)

Again, thanks. I will note those. You're quite right, it's always best to have as many options but I fear needing to demo them I may only get around to actually buying something this time next year! :D

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
max337 said:

Ah, I am tempted to 'go with what I know' i.e. another MA and Arcam setup but I think I may be missing out on that elusive ME system. No, kids are grown now but then again, that's no assurance that neither of them will knock them over!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

Hahaha. :D I have gauged a similar *tongue in cheek* air from active owners.

max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

Hahaha. :D I have gauged a similar *tongue in cheek* air from active owners.

There seems to be a 'them' and 'us' about AVI owners in general (not all). As a simpleton, I can't subscribe to that mentality.

My previous post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek swipe, but there's more than a element of truth.

The way they worship Ash, think 1930s Germany and you won't be a million miles off the mark.

(There goes my Xmas card from AVI)

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, ACTIVES FOR EVERYONE! Lots of divisive subjects on here I notice, let's not talk about bi-wiring eh? :/

If they blow my socks off fair enough, I am unsure how my hearing is nowadays after much abuse.

Maybe after all this I will end up with one of those Sony Midi Systems. The cool looking black ones with the beefy speakers that have vents and ports all over them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts