Arcam A85 Amplifier Monitor Audio RS6 Silver now gone. What now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Max,

Another suggestion for your long audition list and in budget.

Dali Ikon 6mk2 - less than £1000 from RS - more cohesive and better vocals than B&W 683 S2 to my ears. Saw OMD concert on SKy Arts the other day and the Ikons might suit your taste in music. They are well matched to my Marantz AV amp so suggest the PM8005 which Chris will vouch for. Build like a tank in their Japanese high end facility, now available at bargain £679. Am tempted myself.

max337 said:
Hehe, ACTIVES FOR EVERYONE! Lots of divisive subjects on here I notice, let's not talk about bi-wiring eh? :/

If they blow my socks off fair enough, I am unsure how my hearing is nowadays after much abuse.

Maybe after all this I will end up with one of those Sony Midi Systems. The cool looking black ones with the beefy speakers that have vents and ports all over them!

If AVIs really blow your socks then fair play. But personally speaking, its never been whether they are any good or not but some of the owners.

Anyway, another thought: Our long-term member Joelsim used to have the A85 + P85 with Dali Ikon 6 speakers and loved them.

But if you're looking for that Arcam sound then I would suggest... Arcam. Every make have their own distinct sound/presentation.

I've always said that my Leema has the attack and punch of a flagship Cyrus and the subtlety and smoothness of Arcam, but it isn't a Arcam sound-a-like.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Max,

Another suggestion for your long audition list and in budget.

Dali Ikon 6mk2 - less than £1000 from RS - more cohesive and better vocals than B&W 683 S2 to my ears. Saw OMD concert on SKy Arts the other day and the Ikons might suit your taste in music. They are well matched to my Marantz AV amp so suggest the PM8005 which Chris will vouch for. Build like a tank in their Japanese high end facility, now available at bargain £679. Am tempted myself.

I seriously like those speakers and they'd match my Zensor 3 - 5.1 nicely. I'd fancy them as my front 2 channels in that system and give a pair of 3s to my son but that whole 2 amps, 1 speaker set thing is a nightmare. They're a definite listen already thanks. Never considered the Marantz, have had them before and never disappointed.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
max337 said:
steve_1979 said:
If you insist on having a demo first, another good active option worth consideration are Genelec speakers. You can buy some very nice Genelec's like the 8040A for your budget. Just add a DAC/pre-amp such as the Matrix Mini or something similar and you're ready to roll for about £1900.

For even deeper bass consider the Genelec 8050A and Event Opel speakers both of which have 8" woofers but these are pushing the limit of your budget over £2000 when you include a DAC/pre-amp.

The sound quality of all these speakers for the price is very high. Super clear, smooth and unhyped. Very natural and pleasent sounding. They're a much better option than the regular passive hifi speakers and amplifiers for the same price IMO.

Cheers, I think I may have given the impression that I require MUCHOS bass, when I don't really. I think my combo lacked in that department only slightly. I had never heard of these speakers either, I'm hoping that I will be able to demo them as I think I was lucky blindly buying my system. I'm new to the active arena but am eager to hear what all the great reviews are on about!

All of the models that I suggested are more about having deep powerful well controlled bass rather than having just more bass if you know what I mean.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
Given you have an allergy to pre-owned stuff, have you thought about actives?

Most of the owners of AVI describe them as defying science, but they could well fit your budget and love of deep bass -- you could add a sub with a pair of DM5s and still have change for a weekend in the country.

(No, I've not heard them, nor do I want them)

I highly recommend the DM5 with the AVI subwoofer. I couldn't be happier with mine as I've never heard any other system which I prefer.

You can read my impressions of the DM5's and the AVI subwoofer here in posts number 1, 38, 47 and 49. Clicky

But that said, I suspect that the larger AVI DM10 speakers for the same price as the DM5's plus subwoofer (£1500) would be the better option for most peoples needs. I chose the DM5's over the DM10's because I like small speakers for near field listening at a computer desk and the deeper bass that the sub provides comes in handy when watching movies, playing games and listening to electronc dance music that I'm so fond of.

But if it's purely just a regular music system and you're not too bothered about having a subwoofer to give you ultra deep bass that goes below 30Hz for movies and stuff then check out the DM10's. They have deeper bass than the DM5's on their own, go much louder and have slightly better clarity (which I struggle to imagine considering the DM5's are the clearest speakers that I've ever heard). Or if you can stretch your budget to £2300 you could get both the DM10's and the matching subwoofer and have the best of both worlds.

See, I do recommend them... not often but...

@ the OP: If you decide to buy AVIs you'll need to swear an oath. This entails rolling up your left trouser leg and practise a funny handshake. You must abide by Ash's rules that all passives are s**** and all passive owners are sad, misguided morons.

Hahaha. :D I have gauged a similar *tongue in cheek* air from active owners.

There seems to be a 'them' and 'us' about AVI owners in general (not all). As a simpleton, I can't subscribe to that mentality.

My previous post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek swipe, but there's more than a element of truth.

The way they worship Ash, think 1930s Germany and you won't be a million miles off the mark.

(There goes my Xmas card from AVI)

How dare you talk about the Messiah in that way!

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
Given you have an allergy to pre-owned stuff, have you thought about actives?

Most of the owners of AVI describe them as defying science, but they could well fit your budget and love of deep bass -- you could add a sub with a pair of DM5s and still have change for a weekend in the country.

(No, I've not heard them, nor do I want them)

I highly recommend the DM5 with the AVI subwoofer. I couldn't be happier with mine as I've never heard any other system which I prefer.

You can read my impressions of the DM5's and the AVI subwoofer here in posts number 1, 38, 47 and 49. Clicky

But that said, I suspect that the larger AVI DM10 speakers for the same price as the DM5's plus subwoofer (£1500) would be the better option for most peoples needs. I chose the DM5's over the DM10's because I like small speakers for near field listening at a computer desk and the deeper bass that the sub provides comes in handy when watching movies, playing games and listening to electronc dance music that I'm so fond of.

But if it's purely just a regular music system and you're not too bothered about having a subwoofer to give you ultra deep bass that goes below 30Hz for movies and stuff then check out the DM10's. They have deeper bass than the DM5's on their own, go much louder and have slightly better clarity (which I struggle to imagine considering the DM5's are the clearest speakers that I've ever heard). Or if you can stretch your budget to £2300 you could get both the DM10's and the matching subwoofer and have the best of both worlds.

See, I do recommend them... not often but...

@ the OP: If you decide to buy AVIs you'll need to swear an oath. This entails rolling up your left trouser leg and practise a funny handshake. You must abide by Ash's rules that all passives are s**** and all passive owners are sad, misguided morons.

There seems to be a 'them' and 'us' about AVI owners in general (not all). As a simpleton, I can't subscribe to that mentality.

My previous post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek swipe, but there's more than a element of truth.

The way they worship Ash, think 1930s Germany and you won't be a million miles off the mark.

(There goes my Xmas card from AVI)

How dare you talk about the Messiah in that way!

Oh no he isn't.

(You can probably guess what this is). *ROFL*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
max337 said:
Hehe, ACTIVES FOR EVERYONE! Lots of divisive subjects on here I notice, let's not talk about bi-wiring eh? :/

If they blow my socks off fair enough, I am unsure how my hearing is nowadays after much abuse.

Maybe after all this I will end up with one of those Sony Midi Systems. The cool looking black ones with the beefy speakers that have vents and ports all over them!

If AVIs really blow your socks then fair play. But personally speaking, its never been whether they are any good or not but some of the owners.

Anyway, another thought: Our long-term member Joelsim used to have the A85 + P85 with Dali Ikon 6 speakers and loved them.

But if you're looking for that Arcam sound then I would suggest... Arcam. Every make have their own distinct sound/presentation.

I've always said that my Leema has the attack and punch of a flagship Cyrus and the subtlety and smoothness of Arcam, but it isn't a Arcam sound-a-like.

Trust me, you get a similar attitude everywhere. BMX restoration forums, sci fi forums, computer ones blah blah and twitter, let them have their jollies. Probably doesn't happen often for them.

I would love to hear the Leema Elements as it's a good pedigree and is digital. Cyrus and Arcam are some of my favourites.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Committing the cardinal sin of recommending something I've not heard,but dali Rubicon 2 with rega elex r. Any dealer should give you at least 10% off this time of year of maybe more, so just about in budget. If you are missing bass I wouldn't recommend brio r as it is on the lean side although although very sweet sounding. The elex may also be on the lean side....but maybe not. Not my most insightful post but I would want to hear these going by the reviews.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
Committing the cardinal sin of recommending something I've not heard,but dali Rubicon 2 with rega elex r. Any dealer should give you at least 10% off this time of year of maybe more, so just about in budget. If you are missing bass I wouldn't recommend brio r as it is on the lean side although although very sweet sounding. The elex may also be on the lean side....but maybe not. Not my most insightful post but I would want to hear these going by the reviews.

Thanks, I am keen to hear the Rega stuff, I nearly went and bought a brio-r and RS3s as it 'sounded' like my kind of thing. Thought better of it until demo time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
I am keen to hear the Rega stuff, I nearly went and bought a brio-r and RS3s as it 'sounded' like my kind of thing. Thought better of it until demo time.

You did well not to buy blind.

FWIW. I find Rega speakers pleasant, if a little unexciting.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I like the look of them, heard they have a decent bass, then again so do many but as I am interested to hear the Brio-R and Elex-R I was intrigued as to how the 'synergy' would come across. I'm curious if with their own amps, the speakers may sound better than a more expensive speaker or more expensive amp with the RS3s.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
max337 said:
I like the look of them, heard they have a decent bass, then again so do many but as I am interested to hear the Brio-R and Elex-R I was intrigued as to how the 'synergy' would come across. I'm curious if with their own amps, the speakers may sound better than a more expensive speaker or more expensive amp with the RS3s.

I only heard the Rega Brio R with the Rega RS1s, for me the RS1s were not good, probably worst speakers I heard, lacking clarity. Im sure the RS3s will be better.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/demo-review-kef-r100s-ls50s-and-rega-rs3s-rega-brio-r-apollo-r-combo

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
max337 said:

I only heard the Rega Brio R with the Rega RS1s, for me the RS1s were not good, probably worst speakers I heard, lacking clarity. Im sure the RS3s will be better.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/demo-review-kef-r100s-ls50s-and-rega...

If you want 'synergy' you should try AVIs

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
max337 said:

I liked the RS3s - a lot - but prefer my older Rega R3s. (Better sound to my ears, slightly smaller, much better looks and available in Maple, whereas the RS3's only wood veneer option is cherry.)

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
max337 said:

Hi, yes. I've already read that. Although they seemed decent the poster didn't think they rated more than third. Still worth a listen as whilst I know the others there are meant to be 'Stonkers' the Regas might be my cup of tea.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just seen Tannoy Precision 6.1 available for £499, £400off, that is a great deal, I liked the 6.1s in some ways I preferred them to the LS50s, if you want a relaxed sound I think they are worth trying.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
Haha, lol at the SA1s bass description. Never heard that about them. That couldn't be improved via amp & cables, no? Cyrus or K2? Mind you considering their price though, PMC are within range as are the Model C, just. Thanks PP.

They work fine in a small room, provided you don't need a lot of scale. They sound very fast and natural, with great imaging, but I suspect they may not have enough bass for you....but are worth a listen.

The problem they have is that they need their own expensive stands to sound their best and the LS50s are better (imo), while costing much less.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:

Me too. Never experienced Rega but the word 'musical' seems to crop up regarding them a fair bit. Meant to be excellent with their own speakers too but will need to try as many as possible. Hope I can find a decent dealer. Travel will be necessary. :(

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
max337 said:

?

If you want  'synergy' you should try AVIs 

I intend to. I want to know what the claimed difference is. I can only imagine it at the minute. Seems an odd idea to me, but hey, if it sounds good...

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
max337 said:

I liked the RS3s - a lot - but prefer my older Rega R3s. (Better sound to my ears, slightly smaller, much better looks and available in Maple, whereas the RS3's only wood veneer option is cherry.)

Ah OK. Out of curiosity do you recall what was driving the RS3s?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
max337 said:

Not at all. Active speaker ownership is a serious religious choice. It is a way of life that is not to be taken lightly. *wacko*

Will I be requiring much tin foil were I to be swayed over to that side?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
Just seen Tannoy Precision 6.1 available for £499, £400off, that is a great deal, I liked the 6.1s in some ways I preferred them to the LS50s, if you want a relaxed sound I think they are worth trying. 

I can't listen to them though. I was sorely tempted the other day with Tannoy DC6T SE (I think) gone right down. Hopefully I can hear some on Thursday and maybe...just maybe....

I'm unfamiliar with them personally but they are obviously highly praised from what I've read.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
Ah, I am tempted to 'go with what I know' i.e. another MA and Arcam setup but I think I may be missing out on that elusive ME system. No, kids are grown now but then again, that's no assurance that neither of them will knock them over!

If you have an open mind and an eclectic mix of brands to demo, your system can often head in an unexpected direction. I'm delighted that you are holding out for that "Me System."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts