Arcam A19 up to ATC SCM12?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hi Alberich

I've used our A19 with ATC monitors over eighteen months and a NAD C325BEE over nine years without issue. Both amplifiers can be improved on however as long as they are used sensibly then they are perfectly capable with SCM11 and SCM19's.

Our clients are aware that even greater performance can be had from their SCM40's. However the Solo Mini suits their needs and offers them levels of power and performance with SCM40's which the are happy with. Again after seven years no issues with reported with the Solo Mini or SCM40's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
If you're going to be upgrading system in the future what is the harm in running them now with your Arcam? Unless you are going to be playing at rock concert levels it should be fine.

Hi Al ears

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cheers Rick.

Much is made on here of ATCs needing massive amplification but I have not found it so. The fact the OP is talking about upgrading this later makes it a bit of a 'll brainer' if he can get those speakers now for a decent price.

Yes the A19 can be bettered but it will suffice in the meantime.

The OP clearly states he wishes to know how the A19 will cope driving the 12s, albeit temporarily.

Jaso_o

I would be a bit careful regarding the advice from All Ears. I initially had the same query as yourself an All Ears gave me contradictory and frankly fickle advice.

All of the posters here have experience with ATC no doubt but I can guarantee I'm one of the few who have direct experience trying to drive the SCM11s with an A19.

ATC Clearly state recommended amplifier power 75w to 300w for the 11s and the 12s for good reason.

I would question the advice given to you by people like All Ears who have no direct experience with the combo that concerns you. Just know my comments regarding your post are based on direct experience with the A19. So filter through as best you can the conflicting advice given here.

Please retract your comments about my as they are false.

They are correct in that I personally do not rate that particular Arcam but that's just me. It will suffice though.

Are you also implying Rick has no experience with these either?

What makes you think the 19 will suffice? Have you any direct experience with an ATC A19 combo?

Your repeating of the 'rock concert levels' and 'constant disco levels' mantra suggests to me that you have no direct experience with the combo in question and your opinions are based on hearsay.

Quite a misleading thing when the OP is looking for serious advice.

I know its an exhausted debate but ATCs do need power. First hand experience dictates and the Arcam is particularly impotent with them. Your well aware that ATC increased the recommended minimum power for the 11s from 50w to 75w because of returned speakers with burnt out voice coils.

Regarding your question about Rick. I'm not implying he has no experience with the combo in question, but it does baffle me how he can recommend the A19 ATC combo. It's quite possible that in Rick's busy Environment he may not have noticed how stressed the A19 was driving the 11s and 19s. Not stating a truism but it's possible.

It's quite misleading all these comments suggesting 'it will be fine' It won't be fine. My A19 nearly pooped itself.

The answer is yes I do have experience of that combo. I have owned the speakers and my brother has the combo.

He has no trouble with it. Personally I don't like the amp but he seems to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts