Apple TV has a iphone dock?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if the question is a bit stupid, but I am very new at the Apple's world and wondering if the Apple TV can be used as a dock station also for iphone and connected to my DAC which goes to the amplifier?

Like for example connecting the iphone through USB and the Apple TV to the DAC...how?

Thanks

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
No you can't physically attach the phone/iPod to the Apple TV. You can stream anything directly from the phone or iPod touch to the Apple TV tho, so they don't need to be physically connected.

This works well and is fine for casual listening (and is the only way to get spotify for eg through the Apple TV). All music on your mac/pc will automatically be available to be steamed go the Apple TV once you have linked the two.

It has a digital out as well as the hdmi tho, so you can use your dac.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:
No you can't physically attach the phone/iPod to the Apple TV. You can stream anything directly from the phone or iPod touch to the Apple TV tho, so they don't need to be physically connected.

This works well and is fine for casual listening (and is the only way to get spotify for eg through the Apple TV). All music on your mac/pc will automatically be available to be steamed go the Apple TV once you have linked the two.

It has a digital out as well as the hdmi tho, so you can use your dac.

Ok, this is what I thought. yes it would be absolutely for casual listening as I have a proper streamer for all my music collection which is stored on my NAS in FLAC format.

This is more for when I have friends over and they want to stream their iphone/ipod music on my hi-fi. In terms of quality do you have any dropping?

Thanks for the quick response

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So I could connect the apple tv to the network through ethernet cable, my tv through HDMI and the apple TV through the toslink to the DAC. Pity as I already have the streamer connected to the DAC through toslink. I would have been nice to have another output on apple tv (like coax for example)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
This is more for when I have friends over and they want to stream their iphone/ipod music on my hi-fi. In terms of quality do you have any dropping?

No dropouts yet on AirPlay here so far. (19 months)

However, if you really want a physical dock then you could get the Onkyo ND-S1 and attach that to your DAC. (It's a digital dock/transport so bypasses the iPhone's own internal DAC.)

The Onkyo also charges and has remote control and has a coax digital output option so you don't have to unplug the streamer (assuming your DAC has a spare digital coax input).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
acalex said:

No dropouts yet on AirPlay here so far. (19 months)

However, if you really want a physical dock then you could get the Onkyo ND-S1 and attach that to your DAC. (It's a digital dock/transport so bypasses the iPhone's own internal DAC.)

The Onkyo also charges and has remote control and has a coax digital output option so you don't have to unplug the streamer (assuming your DAC has a spare digital coax input).

The Onkyo would be a good option, thanks for suggesting that. The fact of having a coax digital output is a big plus as my DAC has indeed a coax and a toslink also. So I would keep my streamer on toslink and add the dock for iphone. Pity it wont be compatible anymore with new Iphone 5 :(

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually found the Pure-I20 which basically does the same thing at a fraction of cost. It has both coax and toslink output...pity it's not black. It also has a nice remote...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Anything else which has both toslink and coax out? If it's also nice looking and black would be a plus.

If it also is below 100 euro it would make my day :)

For now I found the Ipure 20 which checked all boxes a part from being black (at least not on amazon uk)!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts