Apple TV 4 connection to Cambridge CXA60 amplifier

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Merry Christmas!

I just bought a Cambridge CXA60 amplifier which has an optical input and an apple TV 4 which doesn't have optical output. The older version of apple TV (ATV3) had optical output. I also have a Smasung smart TV. I connected my ATV4 to my TV using an HDMI cable, and I connected my TV to the amplifire using an optic cable. In a nutshell:

ATV4 --> HDMI --> Smasung TV --> Optic Cable --> Cambridge amplifier

I noticed that, fortunately the HDMI input to optic output bypasses the internal TV amplifier.

My question is: Does it bypass the TV interal DAC too? Do I loose any sound quality through this connection? What other suggestions do you have for me?

Thank you very much!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Impossible to say whether it gets passed through as is or goes through a D to A then A to D conversion of some sort.

I guess you could buy an HDMI to optical converter and then compare.

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I have an old ATV3, which has optical output. I connected ATV3 to the amplifier using an optical cable, I played a track which I had purchased from iTunes before. I played the same track on ATV4, looks the same to me. It’s difficult to say though, because I have one optical cable and I have to disconnect one and connect the other.

The bad thing is that ATV3 doesn’t support Apple Music and at the end I have to use ATV4. This is why I don’t like apple stuff. But, still iTunes is the biggest music library ever.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how the interface is with the new ATV remote, but I stream from my computer or phone to my ATV 3. Mostly just from my phone as it's easiest when seated on the couch.

Then again, as Apple Music is compressed I don't get hung up about minor things that may or may not affect sound quality.

Also the reason I didn't purchase the atv4.no optical out to go to my dac and then they don't open up apple music to atv3 users,it's a disgrace if you ask me.Think I'm just going to stay with Spotify and connect on my Amazon fire tv box (last gen)as they've done exactly the same thing with their new box of tricks.But cheers for the heads up on the hdmi audio extractor thingy jig.that could be useful in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts