Anybody been Record Shopping today?

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Had some spare cash...

So I went into my local shop and got :

Nils Frahm - Screws Reworked

Olafur Arnalds & Nils Frahm - Loon

The Tallest Man On Earth - Dark Bird Is Home

But then I went on Amazon, so there's a delivery coming today...

and then I went on Burning Shed (my favourite online retailer, by a long way) - and bought enough that the parcel is coming by courier today rather than Royal Mail :D

Ooops!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Bought on ebay.

White Noise - An Electric Storm

white_noise.jpg

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Bought on ebay.

The original Island lp is pretty rare; I haven't seen one for ages. One of the few electonic records that I actually like!! Hope you like it.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got a mid-70s pressing, which I bought years ago on the basis of it involving Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (and the Doctor Who theme). I wasn't that keen on it, but must dig it out again and give it another try. Thanks for reminding my of it, Big Bern. My favourite electronic music (in the wider sense) album of the time is probably Holger Czukay's Canaxis 5.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Bought on ebay.

The original Island lp is pretty rare; I haven't seen one for ages. One of the few electonic records that I actually like!! Hope you like it.

An original was a bit out of my price range, so I've gone for a recent, official reissue.

I bought the 2nd White Noise album at a car boot last year, not knowing anything about it, and I really liked some of it, so I've been seeking out the first album ever since.

In Whitby, I found a little music shop inside Abbey Wharf, they have a lot of used vinyl, and CDs.

I found a Copy of Sepultura - Beneath the Remains on vinyl. It wasn't exactly cheap, at £20 but was in excellent condition.

It made my day.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

frank.custers said:
It was a good day! Here we go:

Neil Young - Harvest

Neil Young - Live Rust

Womack & Womack - Conscience

Chaka Kahn - Chaka

Eric Clapton - E.C. Was Here

Cuby + Blizards - Desolation & Groeten Uit Grollo ( Dutch blues band)

James Brown - Live: Hot On The One

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live!

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Emerson Lake & Palmer - In Concert

I was looking throught this thread the other day, and I noticed how many top quality albums this guy was getting at markets and similar in Holland.

He hasn't been on here for years, but I wish he was, so I could find out exactly where he found these gems.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well for the love of god !!

I already have Kate Bush's - Ariel

Was just passing my local chatiry shop - hadnt been in for ages get bored of flicking through the Jim Reeves........

Yes I found another copy of Ariel for a blinking £10 !

I calmly took it out of the mint sleeve and there it was a lovely pristine slab of vinyl - I have 2 copies now anyone know the going price?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, what a find, Steve. I'd love a copy of Ariel, although not at the going prices. Bern's advice is good, I've seen it going for around the £200 mark a few times.

I have a copy of the new album by Gogo Penguin (terrible name, but the music sounds good: acoustic electronic music, if that makes sense) waiting for me at my local shop, but haven't been able to pick it up yet. Am looking forward to hearing it properly.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I found a Copy of Sepultura - Beneath the Remains on vinyl. It wasn't exactly cheap, at £20 but was in excellent condition.

I bought my copy back in the day. One of the best thrash albums full stop.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Well for the love of god !!

I already have Kate Bush's - Ariel

Was just passing my local chatiry shop - hadnt been in for ages get bored of flicking through the Jim Reeves........

Yes I found another copy of Ariel for a blinking £10 !

I calmly took it out of the mint sleeve and there it was a lovely pristine slab of vinyl - I have 2 copies now anyone know the going price?

Wow! That's a fantastic find.

https://www.discogs.com/Kate-Bush-Aerial/release/588079

There's only one UK seller on Discogs that has it at the moment, and they are asking £500. That's probably being a bit greedy, but you could comfortably ask for around £250.

There are no records on ebay (which is good), but If you do sell on ebay, they'll take 10% of both the selling price and postage price, and then Paypal will take another 5% of the total too.

I would put it on ebay at £350 buy it now, with an option for buyers to make offers. Make sure you post it with a fully tracked and insured service, don't risk being scammed.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I knew Ariel was over a ton but never realised that much - jesus !

While I was at it had a look at the 3 x 180g Heligoland - Massive Attack thats going for £150 too jesus better get these put away for my retirement fund

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my copy of the new album by Gogo Penguin this afternoon. Possibly the second-worst band name ever, but the music sounds pretty good. A sort of acoustic version of electronic music. Quite jazzy, in a 'nu' way, and I'm surprised to see that it's actually released by Blue Note.

Charlie/Jim, might be your cup of tea. Or not. If not, let me offer you a cup of tea.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I discovered a record that I didn't know existed, and which I've longed for for some time, but it was on record site in Japan. I've got to have this, so I managed to persuade my wife to buy it and get it posted to her mother. My wife is going back to Japan in July/August, and will bring the record home with her when she returns, though she's going for 6 months or more, so I'm unlikely to see the record for another 12 months.

The record in question, is:

Twinkle - Golden Lights

R-4837253-1417951999-2512.jpeg.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

A couple of charity shop purchases over the last couple of weeks.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene/Equinoxe (double album)

Funk Inc - Hangin' Out

I did get some exciting news today though, and I may have some seriously good records coming to my collection on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Finally (after at least two months) managed to get my grubby mitts on a copy of Kamasi Washington's The Epic today. Look forward to hearing that at last over the weekend.

Also picked up Congo Natty's Jungle Revolution and Jungle Revolution In Dub, which I stumbled across on Ninja Tunes' site when trying to find a copy of Kamasi. Groovy!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Found This Mortal Coil - Blood in a charity shop today for £6. I already have a copy, but this one looks like it has better vinyl, and the one I already had has a better sleeve, so I should get an almost mint copy to keep, and a reasonable copy to sell on out of the two.

I'm hoping to pick up some records tomorrow from a client, though she was struggling to find them in her attic on Tuesday. I've been promised original Beatles and Stones albums, and some great Jazz, so I've got my fingers well and truly crossed that she comes up trumps.

I did manage to pick up some records from another client on Tuesday though, as she was in touch with the other lady, and was about to get rid of a few boxes full. Nothing special, but some Peter Gabriel, Cook & Moore, Jacques Brel, and some French singers I didn't really know, plus a bit more comedy stuff. All free, and all very welcome. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS