Any Yamaha Soundbar owners.....

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have been looking at a Yamaha Soundbar as an alternative to a 5.1 set up. Could really use something simple (1 box ) but not sure how good they are. Don't expect perfection but a nice warm clear sound with some 'sideways' effects would be great. Although not HD Audio compatible i have seen the YSP-600 at a good price, mainly watch Sky so DD and DTS would be ok. I would however save for a YSP-4100 if they are as good as they sound.

Anybody own one and would be willing to share their thoughts?

Worth mentioning that i sit 3m from tv with settee back to wall.

Thanks,

Cookie Monster

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Cookie Monster for taking so long to answer but I have just finished working the night shift for the last 2 months..

I have the YSP 30D model which has some more cinema settings and DAB tuner over the YSP 600 owned by a neighbour. They are cracking bits of kit with good surround effect. It will work ok with your 3m placing and the "my surround" option configures to your living room. If you relish a deeper bass then the matching slim subwoofer is a must - YST FSW100 or the cheaper 50 model. I have used the optional docking station add on listening to itunes on the 5 channel stereo setting which is the better audio setting.

They are compatible with DTS DD Dolby pro logic II etc and mine works fine with the Sky HD Box. I would try to audition one first to make sure it is the one for you as there are some good 2.1 speaker alternatives. Obviously the 4100 will be superior to the 600 but it all depends what features you are after. The Yamaha AV site will give you direct comparisons and links to their Manuals.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking seriously about getting the YSP-600 too.

Not seen a bad word about it yet. Great feedback on amazon, good 5 star WHF review, good reviews 'elsewhere' (are there such places?).

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chebby,

My neighbour is chuffed with his and he has the Subwoofer too. My first audition was the older 1100 model and it is amazing how it throws the sound around. Richer Sounds and Sevenoakes normally stock one of these creations to audition if you have access to either of them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Shado.

Not a fan of big bass so I think (from what I have read) the YSP-600 on it's own will suffice. (I am also a 'clutterphobe').

It is going to be significantly better than a TV's own built in speakers and be compact and simple with minimal cabling. That'll do me.

What height is optimal for the YSP-600?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
shado:
Hi Chebby,

My neighbour is chuffed with his and he has the Subwoofer too. My first audition was the older 1100 model and it is amazing how it throws the sound around. Richer Sounds and Sevenoakes normally stock one of these creations to audition if you have access to either of them.

I set up a Yamaha one recently for my father in law. I can't remember the model but it was £299 from Richer Sounds. I thought it was better than I expected, decent all round sound, well built and great looking.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And I just set my Dad's new Yamaha YSP-4100 soundbar up - sounds great; definitely the first of these that you really can do without a separate subwoofer in a smaller room/neighbour-wary situation.

Again, i'd urge a demo- -plus considering the dimensions/layout of your room. To maximise the surround effect from the YSPs, you need to consider where the system's going to bounce that virtual surround back to your ears from; not all room shapes/layouts will maximise the potential of the clever technology they contain.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Thanks Shado.

Not a fan of big bass so I think (from what I have read) the YSP-600 on it's own will suffice. (I am also a 'clutterphobe').

It is going to be significantly better than a TV's own built in speakers and be compact and simple with minimal cabling. That'll do me.

What height is optimal for the YSP-600?

In the manual it says leave at least 2 inches above or below the Soundbar however not all AV stands are equal and mine only has 1 inch Height but 7 inches Depth and has resulted in no loss of performance, so in answer to your question taking into account the height of the soundbar ideally it should be 170mm.

If you are enquiring as to what height my Soundbar sits off the ground it is approx 1 foot but you can place it above your TV if you so desire according to the manual.

The range of the Surround Sound is as follows:

Width 10-23 ft, Height 7-11.5 ft, Depth 10-23 ft.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all,

and big thanks Clare. Great to get owners opinions of their kit. Thanks for the points regards bouncing the sound behind you. We sit flat to a wall with TV in the corner which can be aimed at listening position so may suit the 'My surround' option as 3m from kit.

Has anybody tried the 'My surround' option and willing to comment on its performance?

Getting a little sound to the sides would suffice as i have to position my current kit in line with the 'Dolby set up' -surrounds 90 degrees ish to the sides of my listening position.

Thanks,

Cookie Monster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts