Any speaker sugestions??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any speaker sugestions? I have a cyrus cd8se project rpm6, with the speed box, class A mono blocks(transistor) with seperate power supplies which I built myself. It has 4Amp supply rails, so it is around 46-50rms per channel. I am currently using Wharfedale diamond 9.2 with the sw150 sub.

A

Anonymous

The amps measure and sound excellent, my worry is 46-50wpc.

A

Anonymous

Would it not be worth spending a bit more for a better speaker, or are the Usher 520's that good?? The reason I have to ask this is I live in Australia on a cattle property 2 hours to the nearest hifi shop, who carries very little stock, but can order most things. So a demo is out of the question. The only real possibility of demos is in a couple of months when I will be back in the UK to visit family, so I would like to come prepared with a short list .

A

Anonymous

I fairly recently demo'd the Usher 520's and was very impressed indeed. Unfortunately I heard the X719s first which buttered my muffin very nicely. The 719's are smoother and bigger sounding (they are enormous standmounts though). Horses for courses but agree with Thaiman - very good. IMO better than I expected from the WHF review.

A

Anonymous

Who makes the x719s(sorry I have been living in Aus for 4 years and I am a bit behind on models).Also how much are they in the UK as things are normally the same price here, in Aus dollars of course.

A

Anonymous

Any one got any other ideas for a short list so I can audition them next month when I am over in the UK to visit family.Nothing over a grand sterling .

A

Anonymous

Without knowing anything about the presentation of your amps nor your personal and room requirements, the best advice would be to book some appointments at reachable hifi stores to try a shortlist based on what they stock. If I were to spend

1) Spendor S3 (small bookshelf)
2) Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signatures (small bookshelf)
3) Proac Studio 100 or 110 (small/med bookshelf)
4) Dynaudio Focus 110 (small bookshelf)
5) PMC DB1i (small bookshelf)
6) B&W 685 (bookshelf)

The usual suspects really.

John Duncan

igglebert:Without knowing anything about the presentation of your amps nor your personal and room requirements, the best advice would be to book some appointments at reachable hifi stores to try a shortlist based on what they stock. If I were to spend

1) Spendor S3 (small bookshelf)
2) Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signatures (small bookshelf)
3) Proac Studio 100 or 110 (small/med bookshelf)
4) Dynaudio Focus 110 (small bookshelf)
5) PMC DB1i (small bookshelf)
6) B&W 685 (bookshelf)

The usual suspects really.

And now you can add the AVI Neutron V
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

My amps is like a cross between a good valve amp and a good transistor without the downsides of each( I also have a ming da mc300aa, which I dont use since I built my amps as the base is bloated is comparison).My room is 7m x 4.30, but the sofa is maybe at the 5m point .The floor is tiled, but I am thinking to get a rug.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone heared Wharfedale 9.2 as they are my current speakers and I dont want to make a side step???

A

Anonymous

esky:Who makes the x719s(sorry I have been living in Aus for 4 years and I am a bit behind on models).Also how much are they in the UK as things are normally the same price here, in Aus dollars of course.

Sorry - the X719's are made my Usher. I wasn't aware of them before I went to listen to a few speakers, so had no preconceptions - no reviews read, no recommendations or otherwise - only what I heard. Paid for them then and there and amazed every time I play them!

Whether they're right for you and your kit is something you'll have to find out though - but I guess the point is to be open minded to things other than the 'usual suspects' that get recommended on this particular forum (every forum seems to have its favourites!).

I got them xdem, but I think the new price is a tad under £800.

Where are you visiting in the UK?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
esky:Has anyone heared Wharfedale 9.2 as they are my current speakers and I dont want to make a side step???

ÿ

None of those mentioned are a sidestep from the Wharfys, I will add Dali Ikon 6 to the list as I think they are excellent speakers and I know somewhere you can get them for around your budget too.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Bloney, All over really as my parents are in the Wirral, but I went to uni in Manchester, so I will visit some mates there.Me and the other half lived in London for a few years before we leftso same applies.

A

Anonymous

As much as I do prefere standmounts as they tend to be a bit more dynamic I am not adverse to a floorstander if it is really worth it.By the way thanks to everyone for all the advice so far, it is going to give me quite a bit to think about, well listen to anyway.

A

Anonymous

I can understand your desire to get auditions done whilst inthe UK, and near to a wide stock variety,but when you get home you're going to have to take your setup to audition the shortlist of speakers. (Streuth, you'll have to lug it all in a Ute, to the Big City)

There is only so much previous experience on other set ups can can help you with but you're left with the prob of finding the right supplier with the stock. You'll be spending a lot of time with it so you want to balance the system to your tastes as best you can.

If worse comes to worse make sure a return would be acceptable.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:

without knowing how good your amps are, I think i should recommend what I normally do...Usher 520s
But I can't find anywhere remotely nearby to audition them (SE England) - Devon seems to be the nearest, which is hardly near to me... I also struggle to find any internet retailers for them. Any advice?

A

Anonymous

I totally understand what you are saying, but basically I have a couple of options: First check out some speakers on the most similar set up to mine as I can, which is really difficult as I built my amps, then come back to Aus and order from Cairns which is 4 hours round trip. The shop in Cairns is only small, so he can order something but I cant return it unless it is faulty....Technically It would be possible legally, but next time I wanted some Hifi he would tell me to F*** ** so not best plan.If I went To a bigger city like Brisbane(not that big) it is 1700km away, and a better option for Hifi would be Melborne, which is about 4000km away and the speed limit on most roads is 100km hour. The last possibilty is to buy in the UK and send here with some of my stuff which didnt get sent when we first came out..possible. The end of the day whatever I do I wont be able to here them with my system and I will have to take a chance. This is why I apreciate so much any feedback as it is a far from ideal situation.I also have esl57's which I brough over when we first came I like them, but if you what to listen something else than Jazz or classical they struggle, so a down grade I know but I bought the Wharfedale 9.2's, which sound realy good for the money and work well with most things. Really though they are by far the weakest link in my system.What I am looking for is something well made with a flat frequency response, good bass response, although a sub can be used so if the speaker is good in all other aspects then this is not a problem.The Cyrus cd8se tells it how it is , and so do the amps, so maybe something fairly true to the sound would suit.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
pusey:Thaiman:

without knowing how good your amps are, I think i should recommend what I normally do...Usher 520s

But I can't find anywhere remotely nearby to audition them (SE England) - Devon seems to be the nearest, which is hardly near to me... I also struggle to find any internet retailers for them. Any advice?

SE England? Where is that (as in town, city?)

A

Anonymous

ILook Pusey please thise is a serious question and you are messing about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Apart from pusey,whoever you are, I thank everyone for their input it is greatly apreciated. When I finally get my speakers I will post what i got and my thoughts.Thanks!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
esky:ILook Pusey please thise is a serious question and you are messing about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think that
emotion-18.gif
?

The nearest Usher dealers near you is sound of music in Heathfield.

The best dealer near you I think is Oxford audio consultants but no Usher there although Opera speakers they sell are damm fine too, think Sonus Faber without high price tag and you are not far off the truth.

A

Anonymous

It seemed Pusey was repleying is if he was me.When I come to the UK I will be visiting a friend in OXford, although you said there is no Usher dealer there, so is there one in either Manchester, Liverpool, or anywhere near London as I will be visiting these places too.AlthoughI would also like to listen to Opera as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts