Tighter, firmer bass

gasolin

My basic low budget hifi system

Duck Audio G3 amp, Senucn Tube -T1 tube preamp with jan ge 5654 vacum tubes ,Hifime sabre 9018 dac, Yamaha CDX-570 cd player,Denon DR-M33 tape deck, Reloop RP 2000MK2 turn table with a Ortofon OM 10 cartridge.

95% of the time i use my pc for listening to music

Speakers Wharfedale diamond 225 on isoacoustics. Cable clicktronic casual interconnect and usb cable, Qed graphite performance (usb soundcard) speaker cable 2x 1.5m profigold air bass flex 1.6 (bi-wire version).

I wanted to try one of the ultra small and cheap class d amp and it turned out to be so good a TDA7498E based amp from audiophonics france has been sent yesterday, to try a different amp and mabye to get even better sound, power theres only more of if i change my 24v 6a power adapter,supply to one with 32-36 volt, than i should have up to 2x50 watt in 8ohm.

The last 14 days i have wanted a more tighter ,firmer bass (a bit more i wouldn't mind) i have tried different cables i have and changed my focusrite soundcard to the one i use now. That is also one of the reasons i wanted to try a better amp.

It's not a subwoofer i need, i have 2 times, long time ago asked about basic sounddampening (the cheapest set from amazon or thomann.de), never got any advice i could use for basic "cheap" sound improvemnets.

I have looked a new passive speaker but at a low price,budget i couldn't find anything that is not bright and has a tighter,firmer bass. Even Wharfedale diamond 11.2 (not expensive) isn't really an upgrade over my 225's (i wish they did since i can get a pair for only a little more than 260 euros and i think they look good, look at the stereophiles reviews both speakers they have reviewed)

Have thought about active studio monitors, those with amplifiers in both speaker not powered pc speakers but i don't need something that extreme

I can't do alot of different speaker placement on my desk

I don't need more power (more power is just nice to have), i don't need deeper bass, better highs,midrange, those things are just nice to get if the new amp i have ordered sounds better than what i have.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Read up on EQ APO. I use it for my PC-based source to tame room nodes.
Use a 3dB boost Q=1.4. Start at 160Hz and move down the frequency range until you find a setting you like.

Chris

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Bass tonality is down to frequency response. My suggestion would provide a small increase to the bass "impact" that happens in the 90-180Hz range.

I'd recommend grabbing a measurement mic and doing it properly, but a small EQ tweak is likely to be a step in the right direction for you, and much easier than learning acoustic measurements from scratch.

Chris

gasolin

Really ? https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-225-loudspeaker-measurements
317WD225fig4.jpg

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
You need to measure the speakers in your room to properly assess what's going on. The quasi-anechoic measurements presented by Stereophile should be taken as guidance, but below a couple of hundred Hz it's very room-dependent.

If you really want to know what's happening, you'll need to measure your system in your room.

For what it's worth, though, EQ APO is a really useful tool, and you might find it interesting to try out anyway.

Chris

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts