Any details re: new KEF Q series ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

£600 for a pair of dipole surrounds
emotion-3.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They're all about the same price as the RX series (400/500/750/1000).

As I mentioned in a piece o the new Q series which I doubt I'd get away with posting here, it's hard to say how they're going to fair against each other until I get them in the same room with the same system. The old iQ series was quite smooth compared to previous iQ, which I welcomed, but others didn't seem to. This new range is much more energetic and lively, When MA chaned from the lively RS to smooth RX, even thought the speakers were obviously better, I felt they went a little too smooth for my liking.

Horses for courses, we're all different. I'll post up a few details when I get to do a direct comparison - possibly tomorrow if things aren't too busy
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:£600 for a pair of dipole surrounds
emotion-3.gif

It may sound a little excessive at first, but if you look at what you get, it's not so bad. In each dipole, you have two new UniQ driver arrays - that's twice as many as a pair of Q100's at £380....

So they could quite easily cost you £760......
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello there,

I decided to sign up because I'm getting a pair of these myself so thought I'd share my thoughts on them once I get them. I will be ordering them as soon as I get the notification that I can go ahead :)

I also found this on google, looks like KEF's msrp in american dollars:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4391/kefqseriesprices.png

Finally I had a question. Does anyone know what the Canadian MSRP will be on the entire series?

Thanks.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Jeffrey88:
Hello there,

I decided to sign up because I'm getting a pair of these myself so thought I'd share my thoughts on them once I get them. I will be ordering them as soon as I get the notification that I can go ahead :)

I also found this on google, looks like KEF's msrp in american dollars:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4391/kefqseriesprices.png

Finally I had a question. Does anyone know what the Canadian MSRP will be on the entire series?

Thanks.

I just checked a few sites and those are definitely the US prices... No idea what the Canadian MSRP will be though...

Anyway, those US prices are very good... much better than I was expecting...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
They're all about the same price as the RX series (400/500/750/1000).

As I mentioned in a piece o the new Q series which I doubt I'd get away with posting here, it's hard to say how they're going to fair against each other until I get them in the same room with the same system. The old iQ series was quite smooth compared to previous iQ, which I welcomed, but others didn't seem to. This new range is much more energetic and lively, When MA chaned from the lively RS to smooth RX, even thought the speakers were obviously better, I felt they went a little too smooth for my liking.

Horses for courses, we're all different. I'll post up a few details when I get to do a direct comparison - possibly tomorrow if things aren't too busy
emotion-1.gif

Energetic and lively sounds good to me... Looks the new KEFs will be on my must audition list...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
And the good thing was that the speakers were heard with the sort of electronics that most people would have - the Q100 and Q300 were listened to via Marantz 6003 (or 7003, I didn't check) amp and CD.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
emotion-3.gif

It may sound a little excessive at first, but if you look at what you get, it's not so bad. In each dipole, you have two new UniQ driver arrays - that's twice as many as a pair of Q100's at £380....

emotion-1.gif

what a perfect answer
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Shado,

The 3 finishes were specifically chosen due to trends in furniture designs and the most popular colours offered and sold within that industry.

Off course, it would be great to be able to offer a wider range of colour options but as a manufacturer you have to be careful not to fill your warehouse full of colurs that don't sell.

We also have to look at historical data and which finishes were more popular than others, this forms part of the decision to make the colours we do. Trust me, if demand was there, I'm sure we would do something about it.

Reference Custom Colours is something completely different, these are premium products which sell in much less quantities than our Q Series, plus, they are made here in Maidstone, so it's easy for us to react to a specific demand, albeit, at a premium on the price.

All the best

Ron

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi:
emotion-3.gif

emotion-1.gif

Yes but the MA RX-FX cost £400 which is the same as the RX1. That has double the tweeters, which ok are not going to be as expensive as double the mid drivers, but even so
emotion-5.gif
It would only cost you £760 if you also doubled the cabinet costs, the distribution, research costs, profit margins and everything else.

I must confess that, the price of the rear speaker will probably put me off. I just couldn't justify spending more on the rears than on the front, if I was going for the Q100's. I can begin to see their appeal in the context of the speakers further up the range though.

A

Anonymous

We used Marantz PM8003/CD8003 on the Q500 & Q700 demo and the PM6003/CD6003 on the Q100 & Q300 demo wth Chord interconnects, this combination worked extremely well.

We endeavour to use sets of electronics that are real world in terms of matching the performance and price of the speakers, no bells and whistles or trickery, it's a crucial case of 'keeping it real'

Ultimately, we first look at the hot reviews from WHF? S&V to closely match any demo we do, from any range (Hi-fi or AV).

All the best

Ron

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:Yes but the MA RX-FX cost £400 which is the same as the RX1. That has double the tweeters, which ok are not going to be as expensive as double the mid drivers, but even so
emotion-5.gif
It would only cost you £760 if you also doubled the cabinet costs, the distribution, research costs, profit margins and everything else.I can see where you're coming from, but looking at what you get for your money, I was using the 'double cost' thing as a guideline as to why they cost more. The RXFX use two HF units and one LF unit, whereas the KEF's are two HF units and two LF units. As I've already stated, these new UniQ drivers cost more to make than the older ones, which I'm sure Ron will confirm and maybe tell you how much more they cost percentage-wise.

I must confess that, the price of the rear speaker will probably put me off. I just couldn't justify spending more on the rears than on the front, if I was going for the Q100's. I can begin to see their appeal in the context of the speakers further up the range though.Those that don't want to spend £600 on rear speakers can always go with the Q100 option, which would be cheaper, but not as effective in a home cinema system.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ear:On that american site the G500 cheaper than the standmounters?

No. The price on the towers is per speaker, while on the monitors is per pair...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm:David how would you say the Q300 compares with B&W 685?

I would like to stress that I've said before that I don't want to say for certain what they're better than until I get to hear them in our demo rooms, but based on what I've heard so far, they're competition for ANY speaker at their given price points, and that includes ATC.....

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
manicm:David how would you say the Q300 compares with B&W 685?

I would like to stress that I've said before that I don't want to say for certain what they're better than until I get to hear them in our demo rooms, but based on what I've heard so far, they're competition for ANY speaker at their given price points, and that includes ATC.....

Are they THAT good ?
emotion-1.gif

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi:Sliced Bread:I must confess that, the price of the rear speaker will probably put me off. I just couldn't justify spending more on the rears than on the front, if I was going for the Q100's. I can begin to see their appeal in the context of the speakers further up the range though.Those that don't want to spend £600 on rear speakers can always go with the Q100 option, which would be cheaper, but not as effective in a home cinema system.

This is true. The systems I've heard with Kef's bookshelf speakers on the rear in the past have done a pretty decent job
emotion-5.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Cypher:Are they THAT good ?
emotion-1.gif

From what I've heard, I think so. KEF have gone all out on this Q series, and it shows in the final product. Some people like the 'as neutral as you can get at the price point' ATC's, some don't, same as anything really.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:This is true. The systems I've heard with Kef's bookshelf speakers on the rear in the past have done a pretty decent job
emotion-5.gif

And with the wider than normal dispersion UniQ qualities, they tend to do a better job than other monopole speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Just watched the video and I'm mellowing...

Same here. I don't think the cabinets look great but that driver seems like a work of art.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Same here. I don't think the cabinets look great but that driver seems like a work of art.

I know they're back to the good old box, but they do look a lot better in the flesh - I'd say about B&W CM quality as far as finish is concerned.

TRENDING THREADS