Any details re: new KEF Q series ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ear:So..square boxes now sound better than the curved shape?...seems like economy for KEF.

My suspicion is that the money to curve the cabinets was spent on adding a 4th driver, increasing the size of all 4 drivers and increasing the size of the enclosures. So it is possible, that the new line are actually better value for money than the old one... Though of course, none of that means anything unless they sound better than the old one...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
my predictions: standmounters will sound like the older ones, floorstanders with aluminium cones and rear ported will sound much different like...dont know what.mordaunt short?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ear:my predictions: standmounters will sound like the older ones, floorstanders with aluminium cones and rear ported will sound much different like...dont know what.mordaunt short?

Looks like the floorstanders don't have ports... Apparently the 2 drivers in the middle are passive radiators (which explains why the new models are just 2.5 ways instead of 3 ways)...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I was at the launch of the new Q series product and the new range is a real step up from what has gone before.

We will need to get them in store ( hopefully early next week ) to properly test against the competition but from what I heard I am expecting good things. The new drive unit really does work well with a real lift in top end performance. The square cabinets are adding that extra bit of internal volume and that helps the bass performance. Fit and finish is very good for the price point. The Q900's really stood out for me.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
9199_1283681070.jpg

The Q300. Beautiful !!! I really like the design.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I love KEF, I really do. But you think those are beautiful?

Yes. I really like the minimalistic, futuristic design. Much better looking than the old ones.

A

Anonymous

The news story says they use trickle down tech from the concept blade......... I wonder how much of a trickle it will be. I was given a 20 minute demonstration of the concept blade at the Bristol show and came out feeling like my ears had been torn inside out...... not a pleasant experience. Everyone else seemed quite pleased with the demo.........................I retired for a pint and a regroup.
emotion-22.gif

Sliced Bread

What is very interesting is that if you look on their website at the speaker packages, the Q700 7.1 package comes with two different types of rear speaker in one package (according to the picture).

So floorstanders, centre speaker, subwoofer then one pair of the wall mounted dipole speakers AND then one pair of the bookshelf speakers.

Is this just to show the options available or do you think they are recommending this setup?

A

Anonymous

Doh, there was me thinking the curved cabinets on the previous ranges were intended to;

'All in an elegantly curved cabinet that's designed to maximise cabinet stiffness and minimise
internal reflections' (take from the KEF brochure) So obviously a square cabinet gives 30% more cabinet volume, that means more bass. Are you sure it's just not cheaper to make? Metal cones too..................oooo. It looks like they got so upset by Monitor Audio RS/RX, they decided to copy certain aspects.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread: They arn't pretty, but I suppose they do have a traditional charm to them. They might suit a home with more traditional decor.

They're quite big though. Even the smallest floor standers are quite large.

http://www.kef.com/GB/NewRelease/QSeries

I quite like the wide sweet spot of my fathers Q50s so hopefully these will be pretty special. I attended the dealer launch over the last couple of days, and I must say that they look way better in the flesh. In photos, they tend to look quite big and boxy, but not when you see them, they are smaller than they look.

As far as sound goes, they sound amazing. Forget anything the the current iQ does, these just do it better, there doesn't seem to be any similarity to the iQ's at all - that goes for looks as well as sound. Everything about the product is different.

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi:I attended the dealer launch over the last couple of days, and I must say that they look way better in the flesh. In photos, they tend to look quite big and boxy, but not when you see them, they are smaller than they look.
As far as sound goes, they sound amazing. Forget anything the the current iQ does, these just do it better, there doesn't seem to be any similarity to the iQ's at all - that goes for looks as well as sound. Everything about the product is different.

Hmm. Interesting. What was the sound like? Warm / Bright. Did they sound like anything else on the market and most importantly did they make your foot tap?

A

Anonymous

Hi SB,
EDITED BY MODS - House Rules
I can reveal that the new Q Series (all models) will be featured at the Manchester Show (in association with What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision and the Sound and Vision partnership) 16/17th October

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

All the best

Ron @ KEF

TRENDING THREADS