Any details re: new KEF Q series ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:Hmm. Interesting. What was the sound like? Warm / Bright. Did they sound like anything else on the market and most importantly did they make your foot tap?

My description would be a very open and dynamic treble, very detailed, with a nice fullsome bass that's not overdone, and not as lean as previous KEF speakers. Plenty of attack, very transparent, very musical. The presentation started off with what I thought was a bit of a sales line - "forget what you know about iQ" as the Q is totally different. But it was true. Because of the extent of the changes, which is basically everything as far as design and materials are concerned, this statement held true.....

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Can we expect a review of the Q300 soon ?
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
audio15: Doh, there was me thinking the curved cabinets on the previous ranges were intended to;

'All in an elegantly curved cabinet that's designed to maximise cabinet stiffness and minimise

internal reflections'
As you say, the larger cabinet volume does help bass response. And yes, it is cheaper to make a normal box cabinet than a curved one, but that money has gone elsewhere. The new UniQ driver costs more to make, and there are more drivers in the new Q series too - even if some of them are ABR's. The larger tweeters use larger voice coils, which adds up.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Watch out Monitor Audio Loudspeakers - there is a new kid on the block ready to snatch some awards
emotion-5.gif

Two months ago I heard some KEF 201/2 being run in (15K!?) with a Cyrus 8XPDQX and 8 Power Amps and it didn't sound that great especially in the Bass department. Fair one it was being run in but I suspect the level of equipment needed to make it sing would have been 2 Monoblocks and Xpd pre/power amps - If these could manage it at all!

Can't believe I am now the owner of a "Classic Q Speaker". I await the full review with trepidation.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
shado:
there is a new kid on the block ready to snatch some awards
emotion-5.gif

Sadly KEF has confirmed it won't be able to get us any production models of the new Qs in time for our Awards judging (the issue/website will be live in exactly one month's time).
emotion-6.gif

But we'll hopefully be running reviews in early November - and the speakers will, of course, go up against whatever speakers do win our Awards (and you ain't read all them tests yet - plenty of First Tests to appear in the Awards issue itself
emotion-14.gif
)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Tell us about it!
emotion-7.gif

It's getting to the pointy stage with judging now - rounding up the very last products and doing many lengthy, hotly contested reviewing sessions.......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shado:Two months ago I heard some KEF 201/2 being run in (15K!?) with a Cyrus 8XPDQX and 8 Power Amps and it didn't sound that great especially in the Bass department. Fair one it was being run in but I suspect the level of equipment needed to make it sing would have been 2 Monoblocks and Xpd pre/power amps - If these could manage it at all!

The 201's need more than an 8xpd and 8 power, that's tickling them. That's why the bass wasn't good. A Quad 909 does a pretty good job, but ideally you'd be looking at Mono X's for those. Then they sing.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:audio15: Doh, there was me thinking the curved cabinets on the previous ranges were intended to;
'All in an elegantly curved cabinet that's designed to maximise cabinet stiffness and minimise
internal reflections' As you say, the larger cabinet volume does help bass response. And yes, it is cheaper to make a normal box cabinet than a curved one, but that money has gone elsewhere. The new UniQ driver costs more to make, and there are more drivers in the new Q series too - even if some of them are ABR's. The larger tweeters use larger voice coils, which adds up.

OK, if you say so. I'll pop along to Best Buy to take a listen then!!!

Sliced Bread

Clare Newsome:
Tell us about it!
emotion-7.gif

It's getting to the pointy stage with judging now - rounding up the very last products and doing many lengthy, hotly contested reviewing sessions.......

Does the pointy stage have a grapefruit on it? You know, to make it sharper!

manicm

Yeah, KEF are making some bold claims for the new Q series on their site. And they've moved away from the curved cabinets. They're now pretty square like B&Ws - I'm sure they did this for more bass impact.

In either case I can't wait!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They did manicm. Having heard the range, the claims are justified!

Obviously like all speakers, they may not be to some people's taste, you'll always get that with every brand, but this is a real step forward for the Q series.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:I agree with David, the new range is a real improvement and some models in particular - the Q300 and Q900 represent real value for money.

The 300's £450, any idea what the 900s will cost?

A

Anonymous

Hi, The Q900s will have an MSRP of £1200 (pair),

AGAIN, EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

A

Anonymous

Sure, the Q200C (smaller centre) £350, the Q600C (larger centre) £500 and the dipoles £600 (pair)

I dare'nt say anything else, clearly as a manufacturer employee I cannot publicise the brand, sorry MODS, ooops!
emotion-10.gif

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Dear Ron Locke,

Why is there such a lack of choice on the finish - only 3 unless you are targetting pipe and slippers category?

Surely with the wider ice cream choice of colour on your Reference series I am surprised with this conservative approach which could be another landmark in KEFs historical calender.

Yours Shocked!

A Classic iQ 50 Owner

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For full info purposes:

Q100 standmount loudspeaker £ 380/pair
Q300 standmount loudspeaker £ 450/pair
Q500 floorstanding loudspeaker £ 700/pair
Q700 floorstanding loudspeaker £1000/pair
Q900 floorstanding loudspeaker £1200/pair

Q200c centre speaker £350/each
Q600c centre speaker £500/each

Q800ds dipole surrounds £600/pair

Q400b active subwoofer £480/each

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
For full info purposes:

Q100 standmount loudspeaker £ 380/pair
Q300 standmount loudspeaker £ 450/pair
Q500 floorstanding loudspeaker £ 700/pair
Q700 floorstanding loudspeaker £1000/pair
Q900 floorstanding loudspeaker £1200/pair

Q200c centre speaker £350/each
Q600c centre speaker £500/each

Q800ds dipole surrounds £600/pair

Q400b active subwoofer £480/each

So the prices are close to the Gloss finished Monitor Audio RX series...

I'm not sure how much opportunity you got to listen to the KEFs, but do you have an opinion on how they fare against the competition (such as the aforementioned RX series)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts