any advice on soundproofing?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Gave the new tannoy surround package it's first test at the weekend. Cranked it right up and it sounded amazing. Crazily loud with no distortion and floor moving bass!

However, I have neighbours, so I can't crank it often, so i'm thinking of soundproofing/deadening the floor and walls.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Budget of around £2000.

Many thanks 

A

Anonymous

What are you trying to soundpoof? Rear firing bass ports into walls? Floor? Opposite walls? Whole room?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It's the whole room, really. The tannoys are rear ported, so the walls need doing, and the bass from the sub going through the floor will get on the people downstairs wick, so I need to do the floor, as well. Ceiling is ok as is.

A

Anonymous

Sub wise, to save taking your floor up and if you don't mind the looks, this will work wonders by decoupling it from the floor (the £44 version is large enough for most subs). As for the rest Auralex do something for every situation look around under Auralex on the same site and find the product that fits your problem.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Bookcases (filled with books!) along connecting walls may help a little.

A friend had a builder make a room connected to a garage sound proof, which wasn't cheap. I'm don't know exactly what they did (put in sound-deadening panels, I think), but it wasn't too effective.

You could also take a look at this site . If you search for 'sound proofing' on Google you'll find a surprising number of suppliers!

A

Anonymous

The best way to sound proof an existing space is to decouple the internal walss from the external walls by creating a "room within a room."

ÿ

This is not a particularly difficult process but does require a fair bit of building work. Have a look at the website of the Green Glue company www.greengluecompany.com and you will find detailed explanation of the construction required.

Grren Glue is a frankly amazing product that greatly improves the efficiency of sound isolation in a room and is my main choice for the home cinema designs I am involved in.

ÿIt is also important just to make the distinction between sound isolation and acoustic treatment for improved performance. Sound isolation is specifically targetted at preventing sound travel from one place to another. Acoustic treatment is targetted at improving the sound within a space. Acoustic panels that can be put in a room (such as Auralex sell) are for acoustic treatment and will have almost no impact on sound isolation. Good sound isolation is relatively easy to design but it must be designed in to the room as once it is built there is no easy way to integrate without further construction.

ÿ

HTH

ÿ

Neilÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts