Any advice hugely appreciated!!!! Newby in the midst!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Where to start! I adore music, mostly dance, indie and rock, Guns and Roses / AC/DC being firm favs, and a little Frank sinatra when I've crashed after a long weekend! Since I brought my new place two years ago I've been stashing whatever i can away and am now sick of listening to decent tunes on a bose alarm clock! My budget is just over £1000 which having read many posts and reviews i now realise is pretty small fry![:$] However I do seem to be getting hooked on the separates gig and I can't wait any longer!!! My front room is around 40m squared, approx 10m long and 4m wide, 2 chimney breasts with alcoves either side, exposed floorboards. I get the impression that this information matters??? I've had a look round and a little listen hear and there. Asked Richer sounds in southampton a few (apparently stupid) questions and they made me feel like an idiot. I found seven oaks far more helpful. I'm thinking about this set up:- Marantz cd6003 - pm6003 4 x monitor audio br2's Chord carnival silver screen cable. I don't have any stands, do I need them? Or an equipment rack. I personally like to hear some good punchy bass but not so much I compromise the quality of anything else! Am I on the right track???? Apologies for the essay a friend of mine told me for the best advice details are necessary!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Try Audio-T at Chandlers Ford. Always very helpful, and willing to give long demos. They also carry interesting gear.

Agree with you about Richers in Soton - supercilious and unfriendly.

A

Anonymous

Hi Craig,

Either side of the two chimney breasts which are on the same side of the room. As for why 4, the room is quite long and I'd like a decent sound through out. Am I barking up the wrong tree????

A

Anonymous

Cheers Tarquinh!
emotion-1.gif

GDAE??????

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You dont need 4 speakers; 2 is enough more so for stereo
emotion-1.gif

IMO the NAD C326BEE integrated amp, MarantzCD6003 and the B&W 685's on Atacama Nexus 6i stands would do you very well. Add the Chord Carnival Silverscren speaker cable and the Chord Crimson or Atlas Equatro interconnect and youre laughing
emotion-5.gif

I listen to a fair bit of AC/DC, GnR, SOAD, Metallica, Iron Maiden and the likes as well as a lot of electronica music (Fischerspooner, Massive Attack and more) and the above system would sing very well indeed
emotion-1.gif

The Marantz amp is very good but IMO it maybe a little smooth for that kind of music hence the NAD option.

Other amps to consider would be the Rotel RA04SE (doesnt come with a remote though) and if youre happy with 2nd hand, the NAD C352 integrated.

Although saying that the NAD C355BEE in Silver is available at Richersounds for c£249/299! Brilliant amp that'd last you a long time and a lot of upgrades as well!

The likes of the Dali Lektor 2's and the M/A BR2's would be worth demoing as well. Pushing the budget a bit at £400 are the Monitor Audio RX1's and theyre superb!

A

Anonymous

First of all welcome to the forums.

£1k is a very small budget for a room the size of yours to fill it with a good sound stage.

Starting from scratch is a good way to start. I suggest you put price issues to one side for a moment and find a system who's sound you enjoy that will fill the space you have. Use your ears.

That will give you clarity of what you are after. Say for instance you like the sound of Cyrus gear, you could look at buying 2nd hand at good prices and your money will go much further.
Same with say MA RS6's or preferably 8's now that the new RX range is out good buys to be found perhaps.

Hope that helps you a little.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Welcome Tug.

As trevor has said its a small budget for a big room and you need plenty of power to energise that room. My room is 8x4 and i use an amp rated at 300 wpc @ 4 ohms.

Personally i would save some more and rethink at 2k.

There are some relatively cheap powerful amps out there i would look at and demo if possible. Two off the top of my head are Jungson JA88d and Harmon Kardon Hk 990. Both these amps are powerful and are well thought of and can be found on line at good prices if you search around. I would build the system round a powerful amp by demoing the speakers.

I would also use floor standers and not bookshelf so you wont need stands.

If you don't have somewhere to put the stereo then a rack would be ideal.

Cables are a personal choice, try a few brands and go with what you like.

Good luke.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Welcome Tug.

As trevor has said its a small budget for a big room and you need plenty of power to energise that room. My room is 8x4 and i use an amp rated at 300 wpc @ 4 ohms.

Personally i would save some more and rethink at 2k.

There are some relatively cheap powerful amps out there i would look at and demo if possible. Two off the top of my head are Jungson JA88d and Harmon Kardon Hk 990. Both these amps are powerful and are well thought of and can be found on line at good prices if you search around. I would build the system round a powerful amp by demoing the speakers.

I would also use floor standers and not bookshelf so you wont need stands.

If you don't have somewhere to put the stereo then a rack would be ideal.

Cables are a personal choice, try a few brands and go with what you like.

Good luke.

Just to add if you demo at home all the better.

A

Anonymous

I think the above is good advice. There's a lot to be gained by saving £2k over £1k, especially if you go used. You can be quite smart about the spend but you'll need to do some homework. For example, my AVI preamp was £150, £1k when new. My Quad power amp was £100 off eBay and I had it rebuilt/upgraded by Netaudio for £400. It's a lot of amp for £650.

At £2k another option presents itself. The AVI ADM 9.1 with matching sub. The speakers have built in amps and DAC so you only need to feed it a computer source. These cost £1.2k ('ish). You can then add the matching sub for £800 (I think) later on to fill out the bass and scale.

John Duncan

Pish and tish to those who say your budget isn't big enough. Your room is big but it's not that big. And your idea of having two pairs of speakers isn't such a bad one if you want to have the option of music down one end of the room but not the other, though I wouldn't have them facing each other from each end of the room, there'd be a point in the middle where it sounded very strange indeed. However, I would actually start with one pair and see how you go, and then add another 'zone' down the other end (with the caveat above) if you feel it's necessary.

To this end, I'd be looking at the two deals that are on Richer's website at the moment - the Marantz and Cambridge systems - both of which offer you the option of adding another pair of speakers within budget later if you wish. Personally though I'd stick with one pair of speakers, take the Cambridge setup, and add a sturdy pair of stands for the Mezzos (or try and negotiate a pair of Q 1030s instead).

EDIT - I now see the proposed speaker placements, so ignore my caveat...

A

Anonymous

It's not even quadraphonic, it's just four speakers. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fully agree with JD on this one

£1k isnt a poor budget for a system; you can do very well with £1k brand new and/or 2nd hand or a mix of both!

There have already been some good options made re seperates for a system coming in at around £1k so give the OP a chance!

He may have taken a long time to save that £1k so an extra £1k may be out of the question full stop!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
your budget is fine as jd says, it's not that big a room, about the same size as mine and you're firing across the room. my speakers are at one end of the room, firing across the width and it sounds fine at the other end, no need for 4 speakers. alcoves and chimney breasts can mess with the sound, boomy bass usually, so you really need a home dem of the speakers at the least. if you can't, make sure the shop say you can take them back if you don't like the sound at home, or they need too much free space around them.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tug.1,

I was sorry to read of the poor service you have received from our Southampton store.

We do work hard towards giving all our customers the best possible customer service whilst, at the same time, offering impartial advice tailored to each individual customers needs.

With this in mind, it is disappointing to read that we have failed to do so on this occasion and I therefore offer my sincere apologies for this. Indeed, I would be most interested to hear which sales assistant you spoke with at the time. I will then be able to take this matter up with the individual concerned to find out what went wrong on this occasion. My direct e-mail address is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com.

In the meantime, if you still require any advice in choosing a system, or if I can be of any further help whatsoever, then please do let me know and I will do my best to help and resolve to your satisfaction.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

A

Anonymous

am a bit of a newbie myself. imo see recent posts and guide about room accoustics and speaker placement-ultra important. do consider 2nd hand and ebay to get most bangs for your buck. am very happy with my chord odessey 2 spkr cable-again good prices on ebay 2nd hand. recent got new kit-spkrs and cable but what made biggest diff was learning about room accoustics and speaker placement-even the wise heads here would agree with that bit.

good hunting and enjoy the shopping part-am i the only one that loves the looking and researching bit when getting new kit.

cheers

pedro

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts