Another expensive mistake!

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
i.e. replacing the old Cambridge Studio Reference interconnects on my tuner with the Chord Chorus 2 interconnects from my CD player: The tuner has now come alive and I can't tear myself away from Radio 3. This means I have to keep changing interconnects by hand or buy another set of Chorus 2s, but I've also seen some deals on Anthem 2s..... Could this improve my CD player even more or would the Anthems be a step too far? Disclaimer: I was sceptical of cable upgrades but if you search my posts you wil see I have done extensive testing and am happy in the real improvement for my system rather than brand psychology.

Musical Fidelity A3.5 amp and CD, old Musical Fidelity Elektra E50 Tuner (roof ariel), MA GS10 speakers with Chord Odyssey 2

Another vote for the Merlin Chopin! Pretty highly rated when they first appeared and I currently have my recently acquired tuner connected with them. Probably a bit cheaper than the Chords as well although the rest of my system is currently connected with the original Chord Chorus interconnects.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you have more treble, the tuner appears to have a very poorly designed output if a cable affects it, but it's open season on poor design these days.

I suggest you make up/get made up a pair of cables yourself using Maplin gold connectors and TV aerial coax so you have a very low capacitance interconnect.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a law of diminishing returns where I/Cs are concerned, and it comes down to whether you are think the improvement is worth paying for.

How revealing/expensive your hifi is, also comes into the equation. Always spend your money in the area that will give the biggest improvement. In an expensive system this can often be the cables.

FWIW I think that you have found a good balance. The Anthem will be better but probably not worth the extra (unless you score a great deal on ebay).

Have you considered power cables? IMO They can make a worthwhile difference. Try something like Clearer Audio's Copperline Alpha +, which can be returned if not beneficial.

Cno

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Not treble in particualr, just more detail (particulalry LF) and les distortion in the music. Well the tuner is 15 years old so I guess "these days" have been going on for a fair while. FWIW cables do make a big difference to my system (and I suspect many others), although I wish they didn't as I'd rather spend money on other things. I would be interested in trying the coax option, but I would be surprised in the HiFi manufacturers don't alow for some cable capacitance in the interconnects

Kevin Stephens said:
Not treble in particualr, just more detail (particulalry LF) and les distortion in the music. Well the tuner is 15 years old so I guess "these days" have been going on for a fair while. FWIW cables do make a big difference to my system (and I suspect many others), although I wish they didn't as I'd rather spend money on other things. I would be interested in trying the coax option, but I would be surprised in the HiFi manufacturers don't alow for some cable capacitance in the interconnects

As a conventional interconnect the Chopins are extremely good throughout the frequency range. Of course cables are, more than most components, a very personal thing. Very impressive nevertheless....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Kevin Stephens said:

As a conventional interconnect the Chopins are extremely good throughout the frequency range. Of course cables are, more than most components, a very personal thing. Very impressive nevertheless....

Good man PP, tonight I was starting to feel like a lone voice in the wilderness.....

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Kevin Stephens said:

Good man PP, tonight I was starting to feel like a lone voice in the wilderness.....

One can but try, CnoEvil, can but try...;)

A

Anonymous

Kevin Stephens said:
I spent the money on a bulk order of CDs from Amazon instead :)
I suspect they will sound alot better than new interconnects.

A

Anonymous

YUP! :clap:

TV Aerial wire has very good frequency response BTW, from DC to 500MHz, so if anyone needs to push the boat out for that elusive last MHz that's the one to go for. You can also get it in B&Q - a win-win.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts