Analogue or Digital or HDMI

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hya - advice would be appreciated.

Some here advise NOT using HDMI for audio. Should I use analogue out (phono) to my Yamaha 2065 from Sony BD570 or digital coax? I guess the former would use the Sony DAC whilst the latter would use the Yamaha's. 'Testing' is a pain to get at some of my plugs !

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Cheers

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
According to Sony website your blu ray player only has left and right phono. This means you wont get full HD surround sound through your receiver.

You will only get the full 5.1/7.1 by using hdmi. So that would be best option, unless you plan to buy another blu ray player soon.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry - the S570 does have digital coax and optical though I dont like toslink very much and most say that optical/coax is very much the same. However - I do use HDMI for cinema but I was hoping to improve my sound for playing CDs. Sorry for not making myself clear. Thanks Ian

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest connecting blu ray player to receiver using phonos, as this is seperate cable for each channel, rather than one coax cable for both.

A

Anonymous

Hi ya Robin,

As previously said on another thread i use a phono lead for cd playback as i haven't got any spare optical sockets on the amp but i must confess i didn't realise the s370 had a coax socket.

So i think i'm gonna have to buy a lead to try it out as in theory the yamaha dac should be alot better than the sony's

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Ian but the 1/2 wire is irrelevant - its the DAC/decoding issue really.

Prof - agreed I think the Yamaha should be better suggesting the coax.

Stu - (how did yr bros box go?) I replaced my 370 with a 570 hence the digital output. (Not sure it was a great upgrade but good price and sold old one on Gumtree. Cant sell my rack tho' - I digress.

I guess i will try both and see how they sound. Thanks all for your suggestions - here we go again - wires, solder, blutac, bleeding knuckles, furniture mayhem ..... Fighhhht (Prof)

Cheers

A

Anonymous

ianb76:I would suggest connecting blu ray player to receiver using phonos, as this is seperate cable for each channel, rather than one coax cable for both.

Though phono is analogue thus using the Sony DAC and optical/coax is digital so will use the amp DAC.

I favour optical over coax, I would try both phono and optical and see which sounds best. I have a 570 connected optically to an older Yamaha AV amp and it sounds fine though my AV speakers are not ideal for music.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Yup - phono and digital is better than HDMI. recon the coax is marginally better - using the Yamaha DAC. May try optical v coax but guess (as always) there is always useful advise to be found here.

HDMI seems muddy and less solid compared to coax. Dire Straits ROCK on. ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts