An opinion on my hi-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I have just joined the What Hi-Fi Forum and would like an opinion on my system, which now is quite old.

Technics: Amplifier A900 Mark 2; Tuner ST - GT550, Cassette Player 1 RS - AZ6, Cassette Player 2 RS - TR515,

CD Player SL - PG590. B&O Record Player Beogram 1700, KEF A Speakers Cresta 2.

I do not have B Speakers connected, but I have B&O Beovox S 50 Floor Standers, would they be suitable for connecting up in tandem with the KEF's. which incidentally are not bi-wired

T

the record spot

Hi and welcome to the forum. IIRC, the amp, tuner and RS-AZ6 tape deck were all very well regarded in their day, no idea about the second deck - is it a twin cassette arrangement?

The CDP is fine, I used to have its predecessor, the SLPG-580A which was very good value for money and I'd assume the 590 continued the trend. If, unlike the 580A, it has a Digital Out, or similar, which would enable you to add a DAC, then this would let you hold onto the player, use it as a transport and you have a cheap upgrade using the likes of a Musical Fidelity V-DAC (circa £150).

The amp, unless you have a problem with it, was - as aforementioned - very well liked in the mid- to late-90s, so unless there's a significant reason why you want to change, leave as is.

No idea about the B&O turntable, or the floorstanders, but like Messiah (God love 'im) (sorry, been waiting to use that for months), I'd avoid partnering them up in tandem. Unless, that is, the amp lets you run two sets of speakers for different rooms, etc.

The Cresta 2s were another good speaker in the late 90s and landed a five star review I think. So all in all, it's unlikely to be a poor system overnight now.

Depending on what your feelings are over your system, you might want to change something or not if you enjoy the sound still. Plenty of new gear out there, but, as a glance at my system below shows, a lot's to be said for older equipment too!

A

Anonymous

Hi. In relation to your question about 2 sets of speakers, I run Mezzo 2s and Tannoy DC6s off a CA 740A together and it works really well, despite what others who have never heard it may say. Try it out, only you can decide. How could we possibly know without hearing it?? Some may feel they know better than your own experience or tastes, but just ignore them. Theories won't put a smile on your face and get you dancing round the room!

T

the record spot

Yes, by all means try it out, and for the benefit of Cidershed, I believe the OP asked for thoughts, opinions and the like. Your problem is really with his question then, and not the responses he's received so far.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The Technics SUA900 MK2 is a fantastic amp. It looks the business and whilst not having the most detailed sound in the world is never the less very enjoyable and easy to listen to. I still have mine in my spare bedroom system. It's 15 years old and still going strong.

Although the amp could drive 2 sets of speakers at the same time (I have tried with mine in the past) it makes no sense musically and the power and control over the speakers would be compromised. The A/B speaker connections are meant for playing one set of speakers or the other e.g. speakers in different rooms or speakers with different characteristics in the same room. For a while I had my Kef iQ5se's and Epos M12.2's hooked up to the amp but they took up too much space so the Epos's are in hibernation under the stairs at the moment.

The amp will take advantage of upgrade to source, speaker and cable upgrades. E.g. when I upgrade from the standard bundled interconnects to £40 ones from Monster, the bass was deeper and tighter/more punchy. Currently using Chord Chameleon Silver Plus in that system and they improved the sound even more.

If you're looking for a big change to the sound, try the Epos M22i speakers. Superfi have them in Red Cherry at half price at the moment and I think that would be a great value for money upgrade on the Crestas.

Messiah

Cidershed:Hi. In relation to your question about 2 sets of speakers, I run Mezzo 2s and Tannoy DC6s off a CA 740A together and it works really well, despite what others who have never heard it may say. Try it out, only you can decide. How could we possibly know without hearing it?? Some may feel they know better than your own experience or tastes, but just ignore them. Theories won't put a smile on your face and get you dancing round the room!

Maybe I should amend what I put. In my experience from running 2 sets of speakers from one amp in tandem in the same room, the result was a mess.

However, try it. If you like it then great. That is what counts!

A

Anonymous

Mr record spot, looking at your signature, do you run your laptop through the AE to your amp? Is that because it sounds better than the audio output on the laptop?

Regarding speakers it was no disrespect to yourself, more a response to sceptics who criticize such an idea without hearing the effect, which in the case of my set up would be a mistake. It sounds the business, fills the room and sounds well integrated. Maybe I'm lucky, I'm sure there's plenty of speaker combinations which would sound pretty awful.

T

the record spot

I run the AE wirelessly, but for iTunes use a network cable directly to avoid dropout. Sound-wise it's fine, and I'm not looking to run more wires than the network cable to the laptop. I'd prefer, if anything, to avoid them altogether to be honest!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts