An Old Rega

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Hi there my fellow old timer(s) :)

I'm probably being thick (won't be the first time :doh: ), but how do I go about deciding on a pair of speakers? From what you say the chances are that a speaker that doesn't sound that great in the shop might sound great in my room? What if I hear a speaker that I like the sound of at the shop but can't tell what it's like at home with no other components to drive them until I buy them? What if, once I buy the other components but then don't like the sound? How will I know if it's the speakers or the other components? This is why I'm very tempted to build my own speakers based on my old Kefs, because they sounded good in my two previous homes. It's all very confusing!

Cheers...Freddy

part of the seceret is to bild up rapport with your local hif dealer if you have one, its a very timne consuming affair - but is worth to avoid making expensive mistakes.

However in reality sometimes it isnt possible to do this so its all a compromise.

Most decent hifi dealers will let you borrow their demo speakers for you to try at home

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
As Steve says try to get a home demo of the speakers and other items you are interested in.

You are going to be spending money with them so I am sure any dealer would be happy to do this.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I agre-you have to home demo, Freddy. Look at it logically: how else are you going to know what anything sounds like in your house? As steve says, build up a relationship with your hifi shop. Most places I know are happy to let you take stuff home.

Anyway, it's time you went and heard some speakers-you can get some idea in the shop.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have! A pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's and Dali Ikon 6 Mk2's, both very disappointing, no bass...

It was suggested to me (by Davedotco) that the amp was probably at fault...

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
If the tannoy had no bass, I would ask what kind of bass you where listening for. If you wanted the rumble of indistinct bass, that is basically a tunless one note drone then you would need to be looking for some older 3 ways from Kef or Wharfedale, they where usually quite good at that. (duck the incoming). If you want clear, well deliniated bass, then you probably need to be looking at some 10" drive units, which would swamp most smaller rooms unless treated. You appear to have a choice of Hi Fi shops in the Bristol area, why not try and and have a listen to Neat, Spendor and Rega speakers. Each have their own take on how it should be done

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there :)

Let me describe, if I can, the sound that my old Concords had. To my mind, they didn't give bass that didn't exist in the original recording, so were never 'boomy'. The bass was always under control, and tight. But, should the need arise, they were very adept at letting you have it! I had a CD of the 1812 overture, recorded using real canons, can you imagine? It was like having those canons in the room! Kettle drums had real weight and depth, just how it should be, imo. And yet, they also displayed the more subtle sound. On those same kettle drums, one could easily detect the sound of the drumstick as it made contact with the skin of the drum. Accoustic guitar was really crisp, and it was easy to hear the plectrum as it crossed the strings. I guess some may say they sound muffled by todays standards, and in comparison, they do, but to me, they were awesome. I guess you may think I'm being nostalgic, but I assure you, I'm not. Btw, the Concords had 8" drivers :)

Cheers...Freddy

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
hope you get a nice system soon

Thanks Steve :) Just out of interest, I still have my Rega wall-mount thingy. Is this considered the best way to site a TT? I had it in mind to use one of those racks made by 'HiFI Racks' to mount the TT on. What do you reckon?

TRENDING THREADS