An Old Rega

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Welcome to the forum matey. Confused is what you generally get when you post on forums where so many people have differing opinions.

However, ultimately, we try to be helpful. :)

As most people would tell you it's your hearing / room layout / front end that is going to matter the most. Go out and audition as much as you can. In the end its got to suit you and your budget and that's it really.

(Whatever you do factor in some good money for a new cartridge it will make a world of difference).

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
You've got a TT that works, why ditch it for the sake of it. The money would surely be better spent on the kit you don't have and a new cartridge/service for the Rega. Saying that I'd love to upgrade for the sake of it, at the moment it feels like I'm just replacing bits as they brake.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think that you're asking the questions that most of us ask ourselves ie Could this be better? What if? etc ad nauseam. For what it's worth, I'd also keep the Rega Planar and spruce it up with a new cartridge such as the Nagoka MP110. It's a very good turntable and I think that it's at least as good as the current equivalent Rega models. I've heard several people comment on forums that the old Rega's are better built and sound better: I don't know because I haven't compared them in one sitting. Or two, for that matter.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Freddy58, this is my quandary, too. My Planar 3 is still as it was in the 80's, and as you can see from my sig., the cartridge is a good one, but can't decide about the arm.

It's tempting to flog it, complete with anti-skate belt replacement, and buy a new deck, but I can update the motor and arm separately, so the cost can be spread. I did find an iprovement with a white belt, but less certain about a ceramic ball bearing.

I guess it's going to depend on how critical your hearing is, and how you like your music to sound. And as with all sources, better quality recordings will sound terrific. You'll never truly replicate your home system when at a dealer, but at least you have a deck which can be transported relatively safely (don't forget the packing piece below the sub-platter, and clamp the arm) for auditioning.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya Geoffrey

I still have plenty of time to decide what to do, as I won't be building my new system for two or three months yet, following my house move. I may well yet hang on until the rest of the system is built, then have a listen to my old Rega and then decide. It's very tempting though to get started sooner....you know how it is with this Hi-Fi milarky :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I see they are selling 'seconds' on E-Bay, RP3 = £359.00, tempting :)

And for £350.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP3-Turntable-Slight-Seconds-/380846590649?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item58ac39cab9

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
I see they are selling 'seconds' on E-Bay, RP3 = £359.00, tempting :)

And for £350.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP3-Turntable-Slight-Seconds-/380846590649?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item58ac39cab9

Yeah :)

I think the sensible thing to do is hang on until I get the rest of the Hi-Fi set up first, and stick something like the Nagaoka MP200 into my existing Rega Planar 3. I can always get another TT later. Trouble is, I'm not very sensible :doh:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Just to add, given the diverse opinions on the Rega Planar 3 compared to the RP3, I'm not convinced that getting an RP3 would be a significant upgrade. If anything (looking down the line) the RP6 looks like the way to go :) Any thoughts?

Cheers...Freddy

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Just to add, given the diverse opinions on the Rega Planar 3 compared to the RP3, I'm not convinced that getting an RP3 would be a significant upgrade. If anything (looking down the line) the RP6 looks like the way to go :) Any thoughts?

Cheers...Freddy

I'll take that as a "no" then....

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It's a quiet night, stick with us Freddy.

Get your Planar going first, and if you're not happy with it, go for something else. I prefer Pro-ject to Rega, as I had a Debut III for 5-6 years, without the slightest trouble, so do consider a Pro-ject if the Planar isn't up to the job.

Goodnight.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy, like BBB says stick with it - there are a few of us who will try and help you!

IMO the RB303 does the business on the RP3 & RP6 - not sure what arm is on the Planar 3 - but the arm does make a big difference, also on the RP3 its easier to add the external TT PSU for another step up in SQ.

Bearing in my mind, dunno what budget you have but in hindsight I would of gone straight to an RP6 - its a lovely deck and can be tweaked. CSJF has a tweaked P5 I think and by all accounts sings like a canary.

Steer away from the Rega carts though, but you will need a spacer for the arm - thats easy to do - also you cant play with the lid down - just something to consider.

Back later if any more advice needed.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy, like BBB says stick with it - there are a few of us who will try and help you!

IMO the RB303 does the business on the RP3 & RP6 - not sure what arm is on the Planar 3 - but the arm does make a big difference, also on the RP3 its easier to add the external TT PSU for another step up in SQ.

Bearing in my mind, dunno what budget you have but in hindsight I would of gone straight to an RP6 - its a lovely deck and can be tweaked. CSJF has a tweaked P5 I think and by all accounts sings like a canary.

Steer away from the Rega carts though, but you will need a spacer for the arm - thats easy to do - also you cant play with the lid down - just something to consider.

Hiya Steve, thanks for that :)

Just for your information, my Rega is fitted with the RB300. As I said, I think I'll stick with my old TT for the time being, but stick in an MP200 and see how it goes.

Cheers...Freddy

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:

Hiya Steve, thanks for that :)

Just for your information, my Rega is fitted with the RB300. As I said, I think I'll stick with my old TT for the time being, but stick in an MP200 and see how it goes.

Cheers...Freddy

Hi Freddy, try the 'white belt' before you shell out on a PSU, when I tried, it it did a similar job at only £21. Even better IMHO the 'Edwards Audio Little Belter' blue belt, available at £15 from Deco Audio, Google their web site. Then the next upgrade is a metal Sub-patter and Ceramic thrust bearing, about £135 from Isotek, an under-slung arm counter weight is worth a look to. One of the Nagaoka cartridges every one is whacking on about is a good investment to, swap that to a new TT when you do change?

Rega TT's have the big advantage of easy upgrade ability . . . do it in small financial stages, get to know and understand your TT/system as you go, this knowledge alone is worth its weight in gold IMHO

CJSF

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya CJSF :)

Fortunately, I'm in no real hurry. As I said right at the start, I don't intend to set up my new system for a couple of months yet, which is when I move house. It might be even longer than that, because the system I thought might work for me was very disappointing when I listened to it yesterday. I might even consider making my own speakers, based on the Kef Concords I used to have, and then try a few amps through them. This of course, will take time, to investigate and then build. Hi-Fi, never straight forward :)

Cheers...Freddy

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
if the system you thought would work for you was based round Hi-Fi mags, or forum suggestions, especially the former, then it really is no surprise it did not work for you. As you say you will not be starting the system until after the house move I would suggest you dont start at all. The biggest pain in the but is getting speakers that integrate into your room well. When you have sorted that look for the flavour of amp that best matches your ears and the speaker requirements.

If you are hand why not go to the wam show this weekend, more chices of set up than you can shake a stick at, in all sorts of room sizes. Most of the exhibitors are fighting the room accoustics, but manage a decent representation of how their systems sound normally. (Its at Melton Mowbray)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
respe said:
if the system you thought would work for you was based round Hi-Fi mags, or forum suggestions, especially the former, then it really is no surprise it did not work for you. As you say you will not be starting the system until after the house move I would suggest you dont start at all. The biggest pain in the but is getting speakers that integrate into your room well. When you have sorted that look for the flavour of amp that best matches your ears and the speaker requirements.

If you are hand why not go to the wam show this weekend, more chices of set up than you can shake a stick at, in all sorts of room sizes. Most of the exhibitors are fighting the room accoustics, but manage a decent representation of how their systems sound normally. (Its at Melton Mowbray)

+1 for the above. I've spent far too many hours messing about with amps and speakers that are simply just not suitable for the room in which they're situated. Why? Recommendations and 5* Awards in hifi mags: nothing much wrong with the products, apart from the limitations of modern budget hifi amps as pointed out by a few forum members, but they weren't suitable for the room acoustics. Room acoustics boss everything and, in my opinion, hifi reviews, whilst providing some indication of quality, fail to acknowledge this crucial aspect of decent audio reproduction. Once you've sorted your speakers out, as the guy above said, get a decent amp and don't trust the phono stage of a modern budget amp, whatever the review states; yes, they're adequate and, yes, you can play records but a £100 phono stage will usually trounce a built-in input. This is less so with older amps, manufactured at a time when the phono stage had to sound good, so you may want to look at older integrateds like the Arcam Alpha's, NAD's or Quad amps. Then again, you may want new but I think you have to consider paying a fair bit (£7000-£1,000+) for a decent modern amp. As for turntables, I buy and prefer older tables but you have to know what you're doing and know the problems associated with every model and manufacturer: ie fried psu caps, poor arm-bearings, crappy motors, inadequate platter, speed stability problems. However, there are bargains on ebay; you could always find something and ask in the forums. In your case, I would keep your Planar and fit a Nagoka cart-the best one you can afford.

Regards, old-timer!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there my fellow old timer(s) :)

I'm probably being thick (won't be the first time :doh: ), but how do I go about deciding on a pair of speakers? From what you say the chances are that a speaker that doesn't sound that great in the shop might sound great in my room? What if I hear a speaker that I like the sound of at the shop but can't tell what it's like at home with no other components to drive them until I buy them? What if, once I buy the other components but then don't like the sound? How will I know if it's the speakers or the other components? This is why I'm very tempted to build my own speakers based on my old Kefs, because they sounded good in my two previous homes. It's all very confusing!

Cheers...Freddy

TRENDING THREADS