An Old Rega

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks, my first post
smile.png

In the non too distant future, I plan to build up a new 'system'. I do however have a 20 (ish) year old Rega Planar 3 fitted with an RB300 tonearm. Am I right in thinking that this will still be up to the mark? Does it still measure up to the current RP3? I really don't want to replace it if there's only neglible difference.

Cheers...Freddy

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya ifor, thanks for that.

I may be missing the point, but that link seems to apply for both old a new models? I just want to know if my old Rega compares with the newer versions.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
If Roy Gandhi wanted to add some mass to the table, he could easily and cheaply do so. Probably that TT would be cheaper to make then what Rega is doing. Sure the "improvements" look nice and sound different, but it is completely different concept.

Your deck is just fine, not up to RP3, but more then fine to start a new system with.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
nima said:
If Roy Gandhi wanted to add some mass to the table, he could easily and cheaply do so. Probably that TT would be cheaper to make then what Rega is doing. Sure the "improvements" look nice and sound different, but it is completely different concept.

Your deck is just fine, not up to RP3, but more then fine to start a new system with.

Is the newer version that much better?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

I may be missing the point, but that link seems to apply for both old a new models? I just want to know if my old Rega compares with the newer versions.

That I don't know, but I do know that many, many people rate the Inspire upgrade and it is very well reviewed.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
ifor said:
Freddy58 said:

That I don't know, but I do know that many, many people rate the Inspire upgrade and it is very well reviewed.

Sounds expensive....

If no-one can give a definitive answer, it seems prudent to hang fire until I build my new system before I decide on any change

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
i would look at having the upgraded motor unit fitted on a 20 year old p3, fit a new belt, clean the bearing well and put new oil in and your good to go. As to the inspire, I have one, its a good enough deck, but i prefer the rega unmolested, and it will be on ebay shortley.

respe said:
i would look at having the upgraded motor unit fitted on a 20 year old p3, fit a new belt, clean the bearing well and put new oil in and your good to go. As to the inspire, I have one, its a good enough deck, but i prefer the rega unmolested, and it will be on ebay shortley.

I'd agree here and also note that the older Planar 3's had a motor held in by a rubber belt which perishes over time. Don't know if yours has this feature but as stated the motor could probably do with an upgrade anyway.

Personally I do not think the newer RP3 is that much better that a well set up Planar 3, the cartridge you attach to the RB300 arm is more important - what does the OP have attached at the moment?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
what does the OP have attached at the moment?

I can't remember off-hand, but it's probably a Shure, my favoured brand back then.

I'm beginning to think that it might be worth biting the bullet and buying a new one. By the time I've upgraded and renewed the lid (which is marked), there won't be THAT much difference in cost. It'll save me a job too :)

Edit : Just remembered, it's an Audio Technica.

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

I can't remember off-hand, but it's probably a Shure, my favoured brand back then.

I'm beginning to think that it might be worth biting the bullet and buying a new one. By the time I've upgraded and renewed the lid (which is marked), there won't be THAT much difference in cost. It'll save me a job too :)

Cartridge might need an upgrade. Wouldn't bother about the lid, its only there to keep the dust off. :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

Cartridge might need an upgrade. Wouldn't bother about the lid, its only there to keep the dust off. :)

My old Rega hasn't been used for maybe 10 years? All in all, I'm thinking that buying a new one is the way to go. Thanks for your input folks :)

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

My old Rega hasn't been used for maybe 10 years? All in all, I'm thinking that buying a new one is the way to go. Thanks for your input folks :)

Your choice of course but personally I'd spend the money on upgrading what you have got, you could end up with a lot worse looking at recent Rega posts. :)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/rega-rp6-build

etc

I get the feeling that from posts concerning Rega quality and control concerns that are appearing in this forum of late, when there used to be none, would generally imply that popularity and outsourcing means they do not have the control they used to have over each item itself. Personally I'd rather have an older Planar 3, but that's just me. :)

you could end up with a lot worse looking at recent Rega posts. :)[/quote]

Oh?

[/quote]

Don't let me put you off by any means. I've had a lot of very good Rega kit in the past. I would suggest however you actually view the item itself rather than buying blind and indeed audition first if you can. But then I'd probably say the same about any manufacturer.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
I would suggest however you actually view the item itself rather than buying blind and indeed audition first if you can. But then I'd probably say the same about any manufacturer.

Thankfully, I have a few dealers of Rega locally, so I will buy from one of them. Thanks for that good advice ;)

Freddy58 said:
As an aside, would the Elys2 be as good a choice as any? A good all-rounder?

In my opinion it would only be a good choice in that you could probably get he dealer to fit it for you.

I do not rate the cheaper Rega cartridges very highly and would like to suggest you look at something along the lines of the Nagoaka MP-110.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the classic budget turntable with a giantkiller of an arm, mate. Bit of a clean, a service, new belt and she'll be apples. I'd keep it and go for a new cartridge.

What other gear are you going to get?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think I concur with the Inspire upgrade.

If you can afford it you get a turntable that looks far, far more expensive than the total cost.

However, I can't vouch for sound as I haven't heard it :)

regards

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
What other gear are you going to get?

As yet, nothing is set in stone. I'm probably going to go for the Marantz 6005 cd player, based not only on reviews, but they always struck me as being very musical. I find the reasoning of using a matching amp quite persuasive, and I'm leaning towards the 6005 Marantz amp. I quite like the look/price/review of the Tannoy's DC6T. Of course, all of this is just inside my head and just based on impressions, I will need to hear before deciding. When the time comes, I'll start a thread :)

As for the turntable, I'm now totally confused :doh:

Cheers...Freddy

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds decent gear! As to the turntable - and bear in mind I left turntables behind some years ago - I'd give it that service and see how you go before replacing it. The Planar three still gets good money on ebay, it was always one of the best budgets and that hasn't changed. Give it a whirl anyway, and it you find you're listening to a heap of records, look to upgrade the turntable to something like a Michell or a Roksan.

TRENDING THREADS