An evening with Touraj Moghaddam (Vertere)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's pretty much what you said to me, but I wanted to show it works both ways. You want me to pass an ABX test and I want you to listen to the product I'm commenting on.

I will be happy to give these cables an audition at the first opportunity when they become available in the shops.

Would you be willing to take part in a blind ABX test with mains cables? (and if not why not?)

CnoEvil said:
All assesments of whether a sound may be good or pleasing to an individual, is unsubstantiated....all reviews that that are in WHF or on this forum are unsubstantiated.....which is why personal experimentation is key.

An ABX test doesn't show which cable sounds the best. The test would simply show whether or not you could hear any difference at all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
It's pretty much what you said to me, but I wanted to show it works both ways. You want me to pass an ABX test and I want you to listen to the product I'm commenting on.

I will be happy to give these cables an audition at the first opportunity when they become available in the shops.

Would you be willing to take part in a blind ABX test with mains cables? (and if not why not?)

CnoEvil said:
All assesments of whether a sound may be good or pleasing to an individual, is unsubstantiated....all reviews that that are in WHF or on this forum are unsubstantiated.....which is why personal experimentation is key.

An ABX test doesn't show which cable sounds the best. The test would simply show whether or not you could hear any difference at all.

Hi Steve, I'm due for major back surgery on Tues 6th Nov, so ABX tests are the very last thing on my mind.....though if you get to hear these cables, I would like to get your feedback.

Cno

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your back. Hope the surgery goes well on Tuesday.

I'll have a listen to the cables if I see any in the shops. I'll also have a listen the black ravioli again and experiment with the positioning as you advised. I'm still very sceptical though but I have a open mind and will report back with my findings.

Hopefully you'll have a go at some ABX cable tests in the future when you're feeling better.

:cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Sorry to hear about your back. Hope the surgery goes well on Tuesday.

I'll have a listen to the cables if I see any in the shops. I'll also have a listen the black ravioli again and experiment with the positioning as you advised. I'm still very sceptical though but I have a open mind and will report back with my findings.

Hopefully you'll have a go at some ABX cable tests in the future when you're feeling better.

Thx Steve....and if I make it out in one piece, you'll probably hear all about it!

With regard to Black Ravioli, the website gives placement instructions:
http://www.blackravioli.com/_images/br-set-up.pdf

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
What we don't have, however, is a scientifically precise method of measuring sound quality. In fact, our methods of measuring sound remain crude. I'd be intrigued to read a report of audio equipment and cable tests using sophisticated measuring devices (something akin to a spectrophotometer, albeit for sound). I'm not aware of any such tests or appropriate equipment, though I'm happy to be corrected and may be entirely naive in this regard.

There is some info on the Cardas Audio website under "Insights", such as:

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=10&pagestring=Measuring+Cable+Resonance

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=46&pagestring=Signal+in+an+Audio+Cable

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=11&pagestring=Do+Measurements+Matter? (see George Cardas's contribution)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Likewise, I wish you all the best with the surgery. While it's inevitable that you'll feel anxious about the prospect, I'm sure all will be well and I look forward to your forum return.

Puts pedantic deabtes about cables into perspective, doesn't it...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Likewise, I wish you all the best with the surgery. While it's inevitable that you'll feel anxious about the prospect, I'm sure all will be well and I look forward to your forum return.

Puts pedantic debates about cables into perspective, doesn't it...

Thank you, I appreciate the sentiment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if any of you have read the November edition of Hi-Fi+....when I was removed from the 5* comfort of my private hospital (own room + TV), and put in a general ward (much better craic), I sent Mrs Cno for some Mags.

Well as luck would have it, there was an equipment review of Vertere's D-Fi Minijack -> Phono cable. The review starts of by saying:

"This is perhaps the single most important cable HiFi+ has ever reviewed. That's a pretty bold statement, but it's true, because the D-Fi is not only a cable - it's a generational gateway".

Here are a selection of other quotes:

"...Touraj believes the headphone output is better than most people expect. It also means the D-Fi doesn't become pointless if someone pitches up with another brand of phone and didn't become out of date when Apple changed its connector"

"I tried it with an 80GB iPod Classic packed full of both lossless and AAC files into all manner of systems. To say it did well is a Gold Medal Understatement"

"..The D-Fi proved itself a perhaps unsurprisingly up-beat and natural performer....what I expected was a clean tidy sound, but what I didn't expect was that deep and boppy bass that comes with it. I think the best accolade I can put to the D-Fi was that it was unexpectedly good".

"The fact it also sounds so damned good is perhaps the icing on the cake, but it's damn good icing at that. Highly recommended? This goes far beyond that.."

"...if Vertere can makes the iPod sound this good, I can't wait to see what it does with Interconnects and Speaker Cables..."

Alan Sircom also tried it with the h/phone socket of his laptop, replacing the USB/DAC arrangement "without ever once finding fault with the sound". There was "more space around the instruments and a wider soundstage" with the Dac, but the D-Fi seemed to "bring out the presence region more than the Mac + Dac arrangement", thus always making it "an entertaining and musically satisfying experience".

If I am deluding myself, it's good to know that Alan Sircom is as well, as he seems to have come to exactly the same conclusion, where this cable is concerned.

Hi Cno

You kindly highlighted this from your 'I'm back...' thread, and I've read pretty much everything here. (Just got distracted by an incoming email from the US from those nice Olive people who have new kit on the way, though as I feared each model goes out of date quickly, a bit like iPads)

To be brief(ish). Not surprised the smaller system sounded very good and in some ways more enjoyable. That has often been the unspeakable truth in much of my hi-fi listening over the decades. Back in my sales days, enlightened buyers would be downsold on complexity and upsold on accessories to extract the best. It is often much easier to get modest kit sounding great, while luxury gear gets muddled or can simply be 'too much' for a typical room. This is often apparent at shows, and may well have been the case at Kronos (esp. judging by the pics). Even my aging but decent kit is bottom of the range from Krell and SF, for example. The amps were even meant for AV, dammit - hence the name.

Most cables demos are incremental, though my Chord experience last year included a lowest to highest jump, when I was the last person left. Light and day, frankly. You know I'm a believer. The best comparison I ever did was when we persuaded the boss of the shop I worked in to bypass the switchbox that was de riguer in those days for speaker demos. Unsurprisingly the sound was massively superior!

Glad your views have been so heartily endorsed by the other mag. I must seek out a listen.

Your write up was a model of clarity, and well worthy of printing in the mag itself with a bit of expert editing. My congratulations! I know how hard it is to do interesting and balanced.

Best wishes.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Your write up was a model of clarity, and well worthy of printing in the mag itself with a bit of expert editing. My congratulations! I know how hard it is to do interesting and balanced.

Best wishes.

Thank you NP, I really appreciate your feedback.

If you manage to hear these Vertere cables, please report in, as I do think Touraj may have hit on something interesting and different.

Cno

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm just bummed out that Touraj is no loger part of Roksan. Cables, Verter? He could have done that over at Roksan, develop eccentric Hi-End segment...

Another great company broken.
cry.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts