Amplifier servicing

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
When and how often do you service a amplifier and when it’s time for a service where do you send your amplifier for a service in the UK that services probably with good parts if needed .

does Yamaha have a service centre in the UK ?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
When and how often do you service a amplifier and when it’s time for a service where do you send your amplifier for a service in the UK that services probably with good parts if needed .

does Yamaha have a service centre in the UK ?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. *smile*

If it's more than 10 years old and you don't know it's history then it might be worth getting it checked over.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
designed and built to be long lasting (just looking at the specs on the Yamaha website) using high quality components in a well built case.

as long as you keep the top of the amp free of dust and it has plenty of ventilation around it then I don't think you need to "get it" serviced at all unless it develops a problem.

I have recently put together a simple two channel system using an old yamaha amp I had in the loft for at least the last 10 years, it was still in its original box, plugged it in and it still works perfectly, giving a good quality of sound but I won't be rushing to have it "serviced" anytime soon.

*music2*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If it works doesn't mean it's not broken, as has been demonstrated with recent Cyrus kit.

The achilles heel of amplifiers like all electronics are the electrolytic caps. Good quality Japanese caps should soldier through 10+ years in a Class AB amp with no problem. More heat means less longevity. After 10 years of regular daily use, one should consider general checkup of state of electrolytic caps, cracked solder joints, heat spots and other possible ills.

Maintanance every 5 years should be simple cleaning dust, cleaning open type switches, relays and potentiometers (closed type not as frequent). Bias and DC offset should be checked and reset if its off. Such process doesn't take more than 1 hour.

Speaker cable and interconnects should be plugged/unplugged once a year to clean oxidation. Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or specialty sprays is also a good idea. If the speaker cables are bare wire, it's good idea to cut and strip fresh ends say every 2 years. Shouldn't take you more than 5-10 mins.

Western culture has moved to disposable goods. Cars are bought, abused for 10 years and ditched, typically with no maintanance inbetween. Electronics flood garbage disposal sites. The profession of electronics repair tech has essentially dissapeared. In economies of scale everything is made to survive the warranty period and no more.

Due to this new way of thinking about material goods, I see how my suggestion about maintanance might sound waste of time and pedantic OCD rituals of no benefit. But since the OP asked I thought I'd share my practice.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
But my speaker cables cost £9000 per metre. Should I be stripping away 2cm on those every year? That would be a loss of £180 per cable per year.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If it works doesn't mean it's not broken, as has been demonstrated with recent Cyrus kit.

The achilles heel of amplifiers like all electronics are the electrolytic caps. Good quality Japanese caps should soldier through 10+ years in a Class AB amp with no problem. More heat means less longevity. After 10 years of regular daily use, one should consider general checkup of state of electrolytic caps, cracked solder joints, heat spots and other possible ills.

Maintanance every 5 years should be simple cleaning dust, cleaning open type switches, relays and potentiometers (closed type not as frequent). Bias and DC offset should be checked and reset if its off. Such process doesn't take more than 1 hour.

Speaker cable and interconnects should be plugged/unplugged once a year to clean oxidation. Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or specialty sprays is also a good idea. If the speaker cables are bare wire, it's good idea to cut and strip fresh ends say every 2 years. Shouldn't take you more than 5-10 mins.

Western culture has moved to disposable goods. Cars are bought, abused for 10 years and ditched, typically with no maintanance inbetween. Electronics flood garbage disposal sites. The profession of electronics repair tech has essentially dissapeared. In economies of scale everything is made to survive the warranty period and no more.

Due to this new way of thinking about material goods, I see how my suggestion about maintanance might sound waste of time and pedantic OCD rituals of no benefit. But since the OP asked I thought I'd share my practice.
I just wanted to no as I was planning on keep my amplifier for good as I am not interested in changing it ever so when the time comes I wanted to no when to take it in for a service as it does get used every day .

i obviously want to look after my amplifier and when it came to the time of a service where would be the best place to take it for a service so I got like for like quality parts so I didn’t have crappie parts put in .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
But my speaker cables cost £9000 per metre. Should I be stripping away 2cm on those every year? That would be a loss of £180 per cable per year.

Oxidation is indiscriminate of price.
regular_smile.png

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d recommend checking out if the firm services old amps as if it’s not sounding right to you and you think it needs a service it may well be that the really old model is no longer serviceable etc. I know cyrus don’t Service really old 10 plus years old amps.

But I agree with you if you think sq could degrade year after year, When is service due? As always apply common sense.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I’d recommend checking out if the firm services old amps as if it’s not sounding right to you and you think it needs a service it may well be that the really old model is no longer serviceable etc. I know cyrus don’t Service really old 10 plus years old amps.

But I agree with you if you think sq could degrade year after year, When is service due? As always apply common sense.
my amplifier only 16 months old and still Yamaha’s current model so not that old

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
switches cables and caps. However I have seen odd-shaped square waves from tired transistors so it depends how deep you want to go. My amp has a 5 year warranty and if I can wangle a full inspection of soldered joints and a recap before it's up, trust me I will. Im tempted to try some tube rolling but I need to see if this will dump on the warranty.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:

my amplifier only 16 months old and still Yamaha’s current model so not that old

thats a comfort then, definetely.....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
paulkebab said:
switches cables and caps. However I have seen odd-shaped square waves from tired transistors so it depends how deep you want to go. My amp has a 5 year warranty and if I can wangle a full inspection of soldered joints and a recap before it's up, trust me I will. Im tempted to try some tube rolling but I need to see if this will dump on the warranty.
I’ve got a 3 year warranty on my Yamaha so half way though it

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
but at say 30 months you could always claim there's a distortion issue at med/high volume. Personally I think Yamaha are excellent, as are others, in regards to quality and integrity so I couldn't go down that avenue. What you could do is just have a full recap at some convenient time after the warranty runs out then you've eliminated the major cause of problems in modern electronics.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s good to point out that sometimes these amps are baddies from day 1, so if you can argue that, get one that’s a ‘goodin” from day 1

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
paulkebab said:
but at say 30 months you could always claim there's a distortion issue at med/high volume. Personally I think Yamaha are excellent, as are others, in regards to quality and integrity so I couldn't go down that avenue. What you could do is just have a full recap at some convenient time after the warranty runs out then you've eliminated the major cause of problems in modern electronics.
yep Yamaha amplifiers are good work horse and cross fingers no issues with my amplifier so far but you never no so it’s good to no where to send it if a problem happened with it .

i might buy a second Yamaha A-S2100 for backup as I really like this amplifier a lot

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
paulkebab said:
yep Yamaha amplifiers are good work horse and cross fingers no issues with my amplifier so far but you never no so it’s good to no where to send it if a problem happened with it .

i might buy a second Yamaha A-S2100 for backup as I really like this amplifier a lot

That one will deteriorate and will need maintanance even if not used. You just take good care of this one. Yamaha will produce plenty more nice amps.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I get the feeling you're overreacting or you've got money to burn, buying another amp for spares seems a bit OTT. Most of the parts inside would be surface mounted therefore not easily if at all repairable, meaning a Yamaha supplied module swapout. Discrete components will be high quality easily replaceable so no problems there, and IMO it is these that will cause most issues not modules laden with SMC's. I know where you're coming from as I love my amp too but if it dies it dies, as one day it will which is when I get the next model up ;)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
paulkebab said:

That one will deteriorate and will need maintanance even if not used. You just take good care of this one. Yamaha will produce plenty more nice amps.
at least Yamaha do not bring out a new amplifier every 5 seconds like other companies do and they just end up making little changes I like a company that’s been making great hifi for the last 80 years that’s important to me and the Yamaha A-S2100 is a cracking amplifier and it’s well engineered

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
paulkebab said:
I get the feeling you're overreacting or you've got money to burn, buying another amp for spares seems a bit OTT. Most of the parts inside would be surface mounted therefore not easily if at all repairable, meaning a Yamaha supplied module swapout. Discrete components will be high quality easily replaceable so no problems there, and IMO it is these that will cause most issues not modules laden with SMC's. I know where you're coming from as I love my amp too but if it dies it dies, as one day it will which is when I get the next model up ;)
it wasn’t for that purpose i was think of a second one as a stand in amplifier while my main one was sent of for a service so I would not be without music for ages that’s all I had no intention of using one to rob parts for .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
I get the feeling you're overreacting or you've got money to burn, buying another amp for spares seems a bit OTT.

I know exactly how he feels. After a long and expensive search, just about when you thought the rabbit hole never ends so you might just as well give up, you find the right ONE. And its true love. You want to pamper it, keep it clean and healthy, perserve it, clone it.
regular_smile.png

Happy owner paranoia, a rare sighting in this hobby.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean and how Sabbs feels. We've spent a lot of time earning disposable income to be where we are and it can sometimes make us feel insecure. The dreaded 'what if' situation - it's not nice at all to imagine your investment go pop and either

a) cost you a lot of money OR

b) cost you a serious amount of money.

Be positive, it's a quality amp that will last longer than most and like you say it's not Yamaha philosophy to make changes every 5 minutes. They make something good, and stick to it. Just use and enjoy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts