Amplifier recommondations

Ransyh

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
So I jumped on an offer for a set of Tannoy DC6T SE for 800$ (they're usually 1715$ so I just couldn't resist :) ) and I'm now looking for an amp to pair them with.

I was looking at the Music Hall a15.3 but I'm unsure if it will be strong enough, and I'm unable to audition it since there's almost no sellers in my country.

I'd prefer if has a built in phono stage and NOT a dac, since I'll be buying that separate (Music Fidelity V90 - I think, might change my mind). Preferable in the 500-600$ area though I might be convinced to add some more.

Do you guys have any recommendations? :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/which-2nd-hand-power-amplifier

Plus if you live in a country with 110 volt mains, check out US and Japanese ebay.

Ransyh

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
hey

Arcam FMJ A19 if you want new - that might be a good match.

I've considerd them, but I've read that the speakers are quite heavy to drive, and I'm worried that the 50 wats just won't be enough.

I've also read that they are greatly influenced by their electronics, and choosing a proper match is more important than with other speakers. *unknw*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ransyh, look for something that would have been towards the the top of the range when it was new.

Something heavy and substantial as power supplies are important in amps.

Don't restrict yourself to a handful of models. Keep an open mind. There have been hundreds, maybe thousands of different amps made in the history of the Universe that will sound really great in your system and that can be bought for your budget.

Just go for what you fancy most or what seems the biggest bargain to you (making as sure as you can that it's genuine and fully working before you part with your cash or that the price makes allowances for any repairs).

Ransyh

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I live in Norway. I guess you're right, and that I'll just have to see what is available and read up on those. Is there any minimum wattage that I should be aware of?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Why not try an Abrahamsen V20 for 5400 NOK or the UP version for 7000 NOK direct from the manufacture?

Edit sorry the hasty post, it would seem an ideal solution especially you living in Norway 70 watts although not to important huge PSU and weighs in at 16Kg !! my Sugden weighs 13Kg, and im thinking of "down grading" to Abrahamsen when i sell my Sugden. Suposidly sounds simular to a Electrocompaniet EC3-i EC5-i 1/3 price.

www.abrahamsen.no

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ransyh. I'd be looking at German ebay, as well as any Nordic sources of 2nd hand amps.

With your speakers, minimum wattage is less important than having a speaker with a good power supply (to cope with the low impedance) and a high damping factor (for tightest bass). |E, a decently engineered solid state amp.

Ransyh

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the input! I'm still a student so won't be making the buy befor after christmas, but I at least have some ideas as to what to look for now!

I'll be readying up on what to look for in amps, and will follow up with a post when I finaly decide on something!

Agian, thanks for all the feedback :)

Ransyh said:
I live in Norway. I guess you're right, and that I'll just have to see what is available and read up on those. Is there any minimum wattage that I should be aware of?

Not heard the DC6s but did hear the Precision 6.1s and I would heartily recommend Arcam of some description, Nad, Marantz or Roksan Kandy (LIII or K2).

As you reside in Norway, look at Electrocompaniet P1.

If you can't dem make sure the seller has a returns policy, so should it not be your bag you'll have a built-in safety net.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts