amplifier for bass-oriented music

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm looking cheap (300 euros) integrated amplifier for bass-oriented music e.g. trance and dubstep. I'm not sure how much influence amplifier have's to sound-quality and "punchness" of the bass. I've heard that some amplifiers play bass more precise and punchy than others.

I have found these models already:

NAD C316BEE

Pioneer vsx-520

Sony STR-DH810

They all got good feedback, but I'm just not sure, which is best for my purpose. The RMS doesn't matter at all, because I will use external power amp with line-converter if necessary.

My speakers are Cerwin-vega VE-12F

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ntune said:
I'm looking cheap (300 euros) integrated amplifier for bass-oriented music (...) The RMS doesn't matter at all, because I will use external power amp with line-converter if necessary.

I guess I'm missing your point here but why would you be looking for an integreated amp since you'll be using an external power amp?

correct me if I'm wrong but what you're trying to do is to amplify signal to speaker level (using integreated amp) then deamplify it back to line level (usinf line level converter) and then amplify it again up to speaker level (using external power amp). that's really brilliant! I would even add some graphic equaliser in between to even further complicate signal path!

as you might have guessed I dissaprove this idea. in hi-fi, as they say, less is more. just get yourself a preamp to feed the power amp and you're ok to go. I don't know what input connectors your power amp has. if it has RCA inputs you could easily get yourself a passive pre within your budget. passive preamps don't add distortion unlike active electronics (and that's a good think of course). if you have only XLRs in your power amp I'd suggest looking for a pro audio preamp. for some reason hi-fi gear with XLRs is way more expensive than budget stuff.

A

Anonymous

If you're buying used, have a look for an Arcam A85, very good amplifier for bass. The Musical Fidelity A3 is also good, but the high bass isnt as pronounced as the Arcam. Sony's TAFB-940R is another bargain to be had. Try to avoid the lower end NAD's, the bass performance is rather unstable and affects the majority of the sound quite badly.

If you're set on buying used, the NAD would be your best option, unless you can find something Ex-Dem somewhere.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My point is, that I'm not sure, if 40W is enough to drive those speakers. If it is, it's OK, but if not, I will buy external power amp later. This way I save much of money.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ntune said:
My point is, that I'm not sure, if 40W is enough to drive those speakers. If it is, it's OK, but if not, I will buy external power amp later. This way I save much of money.

well, it really depends on what is it that you want to get. if you want to listen to music at neighbour friendly volume levels in your bedroom or living room then you certainly don't need a power horse of an amp. but if you want to throw wild rave parties in your home and want the music to be deafening even in the backyard then 40Wpc might not be up to the task.

those speakers seem to be quite sensitive at 93db/1W/1m (at least on paper) so it's a vote in favour of week hi-fi integreated amp. but on the other hand those speakers have some huge 12" subwoofers, so they will surely need some good amount of current to shake them and keep them under control.

I think it's a good idea to buy an integreated with pre outs just in case. but then you have to be sure to buy a power amp with RCA inputs because I'm quite sure you'll not find a hi-fi integreated with XLR preouts at that price point. if you buy a power amp with only XLR inputs you're back again in the same configuration as on the beginning: integreated amp -> line cnverter -> power amp, which I think is suboptimal.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I wonder, where I can buy Rotel RA-04 for 250 pounds as stated in review page.

Model is discounted, and Finland have only one market, who sells it for 400 euros (355 pounds)

T

the record spot

As stated, are you looking to drive your speakers hard, or at friendly listening levels (as in, you have neighbours to consider?!). If the latter, forget a 40watter. You'll only end up with distortion/clipping. Better to get a powerful amp and I'd suggest a good quality used one.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Friendly levels. And when the time comes, I will buy power amplifier. Rotel RA-04 do have in fact pre-outs for external power amp.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
40 watts per channel would be enough to give you about 105dbs continuous at your listening position - with peaks above this from any half-decent amp.

This is LOUD.

Your speakers are rated at 300 watts max. 300 watts would give you about 112 dbs at your listening position.

BTW it's an absolute myth that large bass cones require large amounts of current. Current requirements will depend upon the impedance with lower impedances sucking more current from the amps. Bass cones get more efficient as they get larger, meaning that you generally need less powerful amps as you go up in size. Speakers with large bass cones, high impedance and high efficiency are as amplifier friendly as you can get.

There's every chance that any of the amps mentioned in the original post will sound fine with the Vegas.

You could also look out for inexpensive (20 to 100 euros) 2nd hand amps such as the A&R A60, Pioneer A400, Creek CAS4040 that would also sound fine.

raff

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are going to use the system for parties, I would strongly advise getting a more powerful amplifier -100watts or more. The 40w one will soon run into clipping and blow up your tweeters and even midrange (if the Cerwins are 3 way).
Believe me, at parties, the volume goes up and up!#

You could take a different route and get a PA type amplifier from Maplins. They are offer a good power/ price value.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
BTW it's an absolute myth that large bass cones require large amounts of current. Current requirements will depend upon the impedance with lower impedances sucking more current from the amps. Bass cones get more efficient as they get larger, meaning that you generally need less powerful amps as you go up in size. Speakers with large bass cones, high impedance and high efficiency are as amplifier friendly as you can get.

what you are saying is essentially true but only if you're talking about those wide-faced, large-paper-coned, SET-friendly, higly sensitive in wobbly cabinets type of speakers. I think those Cervin vegas certainly don't tick those boxes. it's hard to argue not having the impedance plot in front of you but I think such brutes would more likely burn down this poor little Rotel only if it thought of trying to reach 105db volume levels. I'd stick to 90-95db to be safe.

there's much more variables to speaker engineering than just size of the woofer. I can always find you an expample of speakers with very large woofers and very (but not extremly) sensitive speakers wich are difficult as hell to drive. Focal Maestro Utopias measure 93db/W and use twin 11" woofers and dip at 2 Ohms in 110Hz region. on the other hand it will be fairly easy to find easy to drive but very inefficient and using smallish 5" woffers speakers. look at Harbeth, which nerly never dip below 6 Ohms above 30Hz mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts