Looking for a good pair of speakers and amplifier for listening to METAL MUSIC, RAP and ROCK MUSIC most!!

muchomanu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an audio equiptment for my home. My room is about 22 m^2. My total budget should not go over 1200 euros. I like warm sound with punch but with clarity if that is possible in my price range.

I've been reading a lot (when I say a lot is a lot...believe me) but now I feel pretty much the same about what to do with my money. I normally listen to metal, rock and this kind of music.

Amplifier; It's said that for the type of music I use to listen to I shouldn't get any amplifier below 100watts per channel. So good choices like Marantz PM6004 or Rotel RA-10 which both seems to be good option are out of this range. Yamaha As-500 has a good power but it's been said that they sound a little bit bright... HK3490 alsa has good reviews and gives 120 watts but it's said it's not made for music and I already have a HT with my onkyo and Harman Kardon 5.1 speakers. Besides I've read about other options like buying a chinese amp, the have a lot of power and the price is really competitive...

Any advice about an amplifier?

Speakers; Polk TSi-500, Dynavoice Dynamite 10, Indiana Line Dj 310 are my options since I know that buying a pair of Cerwin Vegas are off of my price range because of shipment costs (I live in Spain). I've heard Dali Zensor 7, they sounded very good but the price was high...

Any advice about a good pair of speakers?

Thanks thanks a lot in adavance...I really need help here.

Best Regards

Manuel

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Don't be fooled by reviews the Yamaha AS500 is an amazing amplifier for the money and perfect for rock and metal music. I listen to a lot of metal and rock and the Yamaha is brilliant its got lots of power and never goes bright, it's also got a sub out so in future you could also add a sub if you wanted more bass.

My speakers are Castle Knight 2's and are again a perfect match they are extremely powerful and pump out solid bass and warm sound i feel like i can turn the amp up forever and never blow them but i never get near half way just a quarter turn with this combo is amazingly loud and powerful.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
After a little thought I've decided to risk life and limb and answer the question.

The answer to all your prayers is a pair of Mackie HR624 active monitors. If they are not available locally they can be ordered from German pro audio dealers like Thomann or Music Store Pro for about €1k.

Massive output and a really clean sound, all you need is some music and some way of controlling the volume.

Warn the neighbours......!

muchomanu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I've been listening to active monitors and although they sound really punchy it seemed a little two much for my home. It really want some of the hifi sound not just bass and power most but not everything.

M

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
muchomanu said:
Thanks for the info!

I've been listening to active monitors and although they sound really punchy it seemed a little two much for my home. It really want some of the hifi sound not just bass and power most but not everything.

M

Fair comment, there will be people on here who can advise you on more conventional setups.

As a point of interest, I find that people often listen to active monitors at pretty high levels, partly because the music shops dem them that way and partly because they do not sound loud at normal 'hi-fi loud' levels. Their control, dynamics and bass tightness tends to encourage you to turn them up, often to levels that you would not use with a 'hi-fi' system at the same price level.

Be aware, you are allowed to play them quietly if you want.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Phil77 said:
if you listen to Megadeth, Metallica, Alice in Chains and Slayer my system is perfect

Oooohh you big tease :shifty:

Going back to the the Yammy a-s500, I have it connected to dynaudio audience speakers and it works great. I'm not into metal, but I do like electronic music and I'm happy.

D.co has a point with the Mackie's, I'm interested in listening to these as I've heard good things about these.

I've heard the dynaudio dBm 50's (active) and was impressed, if the Mackie's were too much. the specs don't say they have much power, but they filled a large room easily.

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
i listen to a lot of metal, rock music. i found the following brands best suitable

Amp and source:

Exposure

Roksan

Nad

Denon

Speaker:

Dynaudio (most of them)

Dali (some of them)

Warfadel (some of them)

muchomanu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

This saturday went to listen to some gear at a big store here in Madrid. I had the chance of hear HK3490 and Marantz 6004. The sound was pretty different between these two amps. HK 3490 didn't sound pretty well in my personal opinion, at least not with CD's I brought. At the Drive In and House of Pain. Sound was too compressed and not very punchy...too cold maybe? About Marantz 6004 I was really impressed about How they sound. Many more details and you could feel bass presence.

I didn't get the chance of listening Yamaha AS-500 because I was there for more than hour and the guy started to look at me not very kindly so maybe another day.

Dynaudio? What model do you think I should try with? I listened to Whaferdale and it sounded very well but they lack of bass punch in my opinion.

About trying monitor speakers maybe I will try again but the truth is that the sound was not very clear I don't remember made I listened to.

Best regards

M

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
muchomanu said:
Hi everyone!

This saturday went to listen to some gear at a big store here in Madrid. I had the chance of hear HK3490 and Marantz 6004. The sound was pretty different between these two amps. HK 3490 didn't sound pretty well in my personal opinion, at least not with CD's I brought. At the Drive In and House of Pain. Sound was too compressed and not very punchy...too cold maybe? About Marantz 6004 I was really impressed about How they sound. Many more details and you could feel bass presence.

I didn't get the chance of listening Yamaha AS-500 because I was there for more than hour and the guy started to look at me not very kindly so maybe another day.

Dynaudio? What model do you think I should try with? I listened to Whaferdale and it sounded very well but they lack of bass punch in my opinion.

About trying monitor speakers maybe I will try again but the truth is that the sound was not very clear I don't remember made I listened to.

Best regards

M

Tightness and clarity is usually the strong point of active speakers when compared to passive amp/speaker combinations at this pricepoint but your judgement is critical here, you have to be comfortable with what you are buying, no one else.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
ddc, there you go, big generalisations again! Really not picking on you, mate, but there are heaps of boombox actives full of tizz too. The crossover a component, but a poor box design, inadequately reinforced combined with cheapo drivers is going to have the same effect no matter whether active or passive.

To the OP, try Klipsch. Haven't heard them in years, but they have plenty of punch and clarity.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
ddc, there you go, big generalisations again! Really not picking on you, mate, but there are heaps of boombox actives full of tizz too. The crossover a component, but a poor box design, inadequately reinforced combined with cheapo drivers is going to have the same effect no matter whether active or passive.

To the OP, try Klipsch. Haven't heard them in years, but they have plenty of punch and clarity.

Hence the word usually, Al.

It suggests that there are exceptions to this statement, which they are and it sounds like the OP may have listened to some.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts