• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Amp woes

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
2
0
Tripped over a speaker cable and it's damaged the posts at the back of the amp. :(

Am I likely to accidentally zap myself if I have a look inside to see what the damage is? I'm used to working on PCs.
 

Mooly

New member
Jun 10, 2011
1
0
0
The thought of disconnecting the mains plug first comes to mind !

If you mean is there anything charged up in there that may zap you then the answer is 99.99% no. That leaves 0.01% yes if the amp happened to use a SMPS supply that was exposed.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Asked an electronix wizard friend at the gliding club, he reckoned no problem so long as it's been unplugged for 30 minutes or so.

so, it's been unplugged for a couple of days and I tried to get the top cover off. Took out the four Torx screws (two each side) and the two small ones at the back, now it's free at the back but something non-obvious is holding it at the front.

Does anyone know what I need to do next to get the cover off? At the very least I need to remove whatever is rattling inside and use the other set of speaker outputs. So far as I can see looking through I should be able to send the broken bit to Arcam and get a replacement, and it looks to be attached to 'the works' by a very thick wire so there shouldn't be a problem replacing it.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,176
1
0
plastic penguin said:
No, a passive speaker doesn't carry any voltage. It only reproduces sound, hence why you can touch bare speaker wires without hitting the ceiling.
The amp on the other hand...
 

Andrew Everard

New member
May 30, 2007
1,878
0
0
cats_five said:
so, it's been unplugged for a couple of days and I tried to get the top cover off. Took out the four Torx screws (two each side) and the two small ones at the back, now it's free at the back but something non-obvious is holding it at the front.
May well be a lip of metal at the front locating front edge of casework into front panel. Try – gently – tilting the casework up from the rear, rather than sliding it back horizontally.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thanks, have had the same comment (gently lift and pull) on another forum and yes, I will be gentle!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
It does of course help to remove all THREE screws at the back! Then the top simply slides off.

However the repair isn't as simple as I had hoped - it looks like I might have to take it apart to replace the mount for the speaker posts, so if anyone can advise on somewhere in the Edinburgh - Glasgow - Perth - Dundee area I'd be most grateful. I'm sure I can send it to Arcam, but that would involve a tidy extra sum for postage each way, plus I would be paranoid about it getting lost / damage. I do have the original packing but that has suffered a little from my damp garage.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts