admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Tripped over a speaker cable and it's damaged the posts at the back of the amp. :(

Am I likely to accidentally zap myself if I have a look inside to see what the damage is? I'm used to working on PCs.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The thought of disconnecting the mains plug first comes to mind !

If you mean is there anything charged up in there that may zap you then the answer is 99.99% no. That leaves 0.01% yes if the amp happened to use a SMPS supply that was exposed.

A

Anonymous

Asked an electronix wizard friend at the gliding club, he reckoned no problem so long as it's been unplugged for 30 minutes or so.

so, it's been unplugged for a couple of days and I tried to get the top cover off. Took out the four Torx screws (two each side) and the two small ones at the back, now it's free at the back but something non-obvious is holding it at the front.

Does anyone know what I need to do next to get the cover off? At the very least I need to remove whatever is rattling inside and use the other set of speaker outputs. So far as I can see looking through I should be able to send the broken bit to Arcam and get a replacement, and it looks to be attached to 'the works' by a very thick wire so there shouldn't be a problem replacing it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
cats_five said:
so, it's been unplugged for a couple of days and I tried to get the top cover off. Took out the four Torx screws (two each side) and the two small ones at the back, now it's free at the back but something non-obvious is holding it at the front.

May well be a lip of metal at the front locating front edge of casework into front panel. Try – gently – tilting the casework up from the rear, rather than sliding it back horizontally.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, have had the same comment (gently lift and pull) on another forum and yes, I will be gentle!

A

Anonymous

It does of course help to remove all THREE screws at the back! Then the top simply slides off.

However the repair isn't as simple as I had hoped - it looks like I might have to take it apart to replace the mount for the speaker posts, so if anyone can advise on somewhere in the Edinburgh - Glasgow - Perth - Dundee area I'd be most grateful. I'm sure I can send it to Arcam, but that would involve a tidy extra sum for postage each way, plus I would be paranoid about it getting lost / damage. I do have the original packing but that has suffered a little from my damp garage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts