amp to match ATC scm 11 speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
lpv said:
prices: £140, £2300, £2700, £3100..

look: all ugly so needs to go out of sight

sound: all the same

Do you have headaches mr. dealer?

please allow all forum members freely form opinions and share them on this forum and if you experiencing headaches speak to your pharmacist. I hope you did compare Electrocompaniet ECI 5 Mk2 integrated with Behringer A500 and Hegel H160?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:

please allow all forum members freely form opinions and share them on this forum and if you experiencing headaches speak to your pharmacist. I hope you did compare Electrocompaniet ECI 5 Mk2 integrated with Behringer A500 and Hegel H160?
The name is David, and I generally don't get headaches.

Forming opinions is one thing, but presenting them as fact is quite another. I may well have heard the H160 at Bristol this year. I've not knowingly heard that specific Electrocompaniet, and never heard the Behringer, but I know a man who has heard the latter, and in his opinion I trust.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
lpv said:

The name is David, and I generally don't get headaches.

Forming opinions is one thing, but presenting them as fact is quite another. I may well have heard the H160 at Bristol this year. I've not knowingly heard that specific Electrocompaniet, and never heard the Behringer, but I know a man who has heard the latter, and in his opinion I trust.

thanks. no more question.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
as a matter of fact:

- did have both Electrocompaniet and Behringer in my listening room,

- tested them on ATC SCM 19 and Dynaudio 260

- heard Hegel long before anyone on this forum heard about the brand

- did compare all 3 amps in one evening in another country ( where Hegel is well known for more then few months)

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
No new amp required!

Icon drives the 11's OK in my listening room of 12'x12'.

The sound is deffenately more up front than with the Quads, bass is firmer. A sort of clearer sound , wow the system sings!

The volume button on the icon is set at 12, which is the half point on the dial and this is with the amp set to triode mode 19 watts!

Hi S83 Trike

Glad it's worked out
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
No new amp required!

Icon drives the 11's OK in my listening room of 12'x12'.

The sound is deffenately more up front than with the Quads, bass is firmer. A sort of clearer sound , wow the system sings!

The volume button on the icon is set at 12, which is the half point on the dial and this is with the amp set to triode mode 19 watts!

would love to hear it.

however, glad it sounds OK to you.

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I used the same speaker wire [some fancy stuff from around 1999] which i had been using bi wired to my Quads - so I set up the ATC's the same bi wire and everything sounds great.

Last night I had an idea to just use standard wiring and put the bi wire connectors back on to the rear of the speakers. Plugged everything back in and tried the system again, yes again a fantastic sound -but any difference?

No, i could not hear any difference what so ever, so I am now running the speakers the old fashioned way -conclusion, it sounds like i might have wasted all that money 15 years ago buying 4 lenghts of cable!

Hmmmmm!

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Well afetr a few weeks a newamp upgrade is required.

I 'll explain everywas fantastic for the first week or two, but as I got aroud to playing more older CD's, especially 80's stuff, the volume had to be increased on the amp to get the same listening levels and this is when I started to push the Icon into distortion!

So everything is fine on newer recorded CD's but no good on older stuff, so I am now looking for a smooth powerful amp, as my Genki and 11's are toneally forward?

Possibly NAD C370 or one of their powerful power amps [ as the Genki has a pre built in]

I have looked at also Arcam FMJ 38, audiolab 8200 then add a power amp 8000p to it? But not too sure if they will match the 11's for a smoother sound?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
S83,
I would also consider a Linn power amp. I recently changed from a Roksan Caspian to a Linn Chakra (second hand) driving the new SCM11s. The open, detailed, revealing nature of the ATCs seem to pair well with the smooth-sounding Linn amps. The results are musical and without listener fatigue. Lots of Linn power amps available second hand and your Genki will work well with them too, I imagine. You're right about power. The AtCs sounded fine with 85 watts from the Caspian but now sound so much better with over 100 watts on tap (I don't mean louder either). Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS