S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I am upgrading my current set up which comprises of the following -

Linn Genki CD player

Icon Stereo 40SE Valve amp

Quad 12L speakers.

Lounge is 12'x12'

I am in the process of purchasing a 2nd hand pair of ATC SMC11 speakers [version 1] cir2010. But I have been informed that the 11's are power hungry and my Icon at 40 watts per channel ultralinear might not have enough power to drive them. So I could possibly need a new [well 2nd hand ] intregated amp capable of driving the 11's?Any ideas?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't be too hasty....you'll be able to try it for yourself. I suspect you'll be OK, unless you want to run a nightclub.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I use a Roksan K2BT with SCM11 v2 with great results. Can be picked up for £450 if you shop around and ask. As mentioned above you might be ok with what you have, I feel my Brio r would have been perfectly fine with them too at moderate listening levels.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
750-A500_detail2.jpg
H160Fronttop.jpg
classic_eci5.jpg
sia2-150-front.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
I am upgrading my current set up which comprises of the following -

Linn Genki CD player

Icon Stereo 40SE Valve amp

Quad 12L speakers.

Lounge is 12'x12'

I am in the process of purchasing a 2nd hand pair of ATC SMC11 speakers [version 1] cir2010. But I have been informed that the 11's are power hungry and my Icon at 40 watts per channel ultralinear might not have enough power to drive them. So I could possibly need a new [well 2nd hand ] intregated amp capable of driving the 11's?Any ideas?

As Cno said, no haste.

I had a 20w/ch valve amplifier with Ruark IB speakers, no problem.

If you want to headbang, perhaps choose a solid state with lots of watts but then you probably wouldn't use the 11's for that anyway.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
prices: £140, £2300, £2700, £3100..

look: all ugly so needs to go out of sight

sound: all the same

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Also dont read too much into watts per channel. Ive got kefr700 speakers and im guessing are easier to drive than atc's

Well ive just sold my 120 w per channel roksan kandy k2 as it was not driving my speakers with the control at higher volume. Seems to get messy. Dont get me wrong the kandy for a budget to mid range amp is good but speakers as yours needs better amplification thats why i recomend hegel h160. Inly 30 more watts per channel than the kandy but compare these 2 side by side and it becomes clear. The speakers become alive like an upgrade

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, I was thinking down the lines of an intergated amp as I also need to add my IPOD for kitchen listening - but have been out of the hifi loop for approx 10yrs.

I will try my Icon first to see if it will drive the 11's - if not there are so many decent amps out there that will give me 100w PC to look at. Although my budget is limited hence 2nd hand.

rainsoothe

lpv said:
prices: £140, £2300, £2700, £3100..

look: all ugly so needs to go out of sight

sound: all the same

Don't disregard his suggestions just 'cause of this nonsense comment, the amps he suggested are good ones. Add Roksan Kandy K3 and K2 (smoother then the K3) to your list, if your current amp doesn't suffice. Hegel has the advantage of streaming capabilities and built in DAC. A Roksan K3, on the other hand, is cheaper.

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Budget possibly £400 max, hence why I would go down the 2nd hand market.

The NAD is possible, but the last time I bought a NAD amp it was a 3120 back in mid 80's, so not too sure how they rate nowadays?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:

The NAD is possible, but the last time I bought a NAD amp it was a 3120 back in mid 80's, so not too sure how they rate nowadays?

if £400 is your max budget why you not behringer? you could even have two units plus some audio interface from behringer or focusrite or m-audio so you'll have Dac too.. I bet it will sound considerably better than Nad.. in fact my mate replaced two Rotel power amps with two Behringers 500's to power some Dynaudio 260 and it sounds great and for £280.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There are a couple of Quad 909 power amplifiers on the bay.

One at BIN £550 with 5 days to go (Get in contact with the seller in two or three days if you're interested and if still available, and see if he is willing to compromise a little on price, I have bought loads that way) and the other one at just under £300 with three days to go. Either way you will also need a Pre but you will have good quality and powerful amplification.

I'd still try the Icon first however.

S83 Trike said:

Hi S83 Trike

NAD C370
regular_smile.gif
An excellent amp with plenty of good quality power and a good tonal match with SCM11 passive monitors
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

drummerman said:
There are a couple of Quad 909 power amplifiers on the bay.

One at BIN £550 with 5 days to go (Get in contact with the seller in two or three days if you're interested and if still available, and see if he is willing to compromise a little on price, I have bought loads that way) and the other one at just under £300 with three days to go. Either way you will also need a Pre but you will have good quality and powerful amplification.

I'd still try the Icon first however.

A very good suggestion.

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Just had a thought, I remember David telling me that I could run my Icon as a stand alone power amp - would this have any more humph by not using the pre amp section?

The Genki has a sort of pre amp section built in I believe?

Or would it still do 40 watts in linear mode as per spec?

S83 Trike said:
Just had a thought, I remember David telling me that I could run my Icon as a stand alone power amp - would this have any more humph by not using the pre amp section?

The Genki has a sort of pre amp section built in I believe?

Or would it still do 40 watts in linear mode as per spec?

It would still do 40 watts.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
Do I also need a pre amp with this Behringer?

yes.. you'll need a preamp.. big choice of preamps if remote control is not needed and less choice if you require one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts