Amp suggestion for B&W 606 s2 anniversary edition

debasishshom

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm planning to buy a pair of B&W 606 s2 anniversary edition speakers. I'm looking for an amp suggestion for those speakers. My budget is 1000 GBP.
I have thought about Rega Elex R and Cambridge Audio CXA81. both got very good review but Rega got no digital input and CA got no Phono input. Any other choice for those speakers where I can connect a Turntable and play music from my iPhone/ Mac? Or should I buy something with airplay (What??) with the Rela Elex R?
Thanks in advance.
Peace.

OP - if you don't mind looking at the used market then consider Rotel's discontinued RA-1062. Even though RA-1062 was released eighteen years ago and has no digital inputs or streaming capabilities however the RA-1062's (amongst it's other qualities) high current capability will likely help the RA-1062 grip, drive and energise the B&W 606's far more effectively at almost any comparable level then the amplifiers already mentioned. You should be able to find a good condition RA-1062 for around £200 - £300.

Btw, for streaming look at adding a streamer such as Yamaha's WCX-50 to the RA-1062.

Last edited:

gasolin

Really? I'm confused now! Research says a 80W amp would be a very good combination with 606 s2. Brio (50W) is a good choice though.

it's the 607 s2

2021-01-03 20_08_28-Window.png

gasolin

My amp in the review i have linked to a few times is measured at 120 watt in 8 ohm (not shure if its peak power or rms) it's enough for my speakers, if i have all my doors open in my 67 square meter apparttment i haven no problem hearing it loud and clear.

606's are 88 db så 60 watt pr channel is more than enough

gasolin

He wants digital inputs and a phono stage, and this should make a good pairing.

The cheaper Audiolab 6000A might also be a good choice, but it definitely must be auditioned first. The NAD is warmish.

Even the smallest Nad c328 has a digital input and a phonostage, the c328,338,368 and 388 are class d amps so they might not sound as warm as nad c316bee, 326bee,356bee and 375bee

Alternative to a c328 is a Nad AMP1 i don't know what the difference is but power and price is very close £495 for a nad c328 (can't find it in uk, AMP 1)

nadamp1bk_1[1].jpg

Last edited:

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
To the OP, please don’t get bogged down in power ratings and figures. Decide what you want the amp to do and then set a budget. Ignore all the posts where people just throw internet reviews at you. This is a sizeable investment so worth making a short list and then waiting until you can get out to audition. Blind purchases are a quick way to eternal dissatisfaction. Trust your ears. The 606S2 are not difficult to power but synergy is important.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say no with only 3 stars

• Rhythmically outclassed
  • Needs more subtlety

Ha! In that case the OP (or any other person who's in a similar position) should just trawl through the WHF reviews to the 5 star reviews and just pick one . He doesn't need anyone's advice off here then. What do we know?

I would say no with only 3 stars

• Rhythmically outclassed
  • Needs more subtlety

3 stars mean very little. WHFI gave 3 stars to Usher S520 but when I heard them powered my modest amplification (Arcam FMJ A18) they sounded terrific for a sub-£500 speaker.

System synergy is everything, more than professional or owners reviews, and Rotel and B&W are a cracking match.

manicm

Even the smallest Nad c328 has a digital input and a phonostage, the c328,338,368 and 388 are class d amps so they might not sound as warm as nad c316bee, 326bee,356bee and 375bee

Alternative to a c328 is a Nad AMP1 i don't know what the difference is but power and price is very close £495 for a nad c328 (can't find it in uk, AMP 1)

View attachment 1945

He said he had a budget of around 1000 pounds. So may as well get the most out of that. The AMP 1 is not available in the UK, only for a very few select countries.

Also all reviews I’ve read of the NAD digital amps - even the priciest non-Masters ones - suggest a warmish sound. NAD uses partial Hypex modules and / or their own supplementary designs in their amps.

gasolin

isn't it mostly power difference ?

Theres also the Nad D3045 2x60 watt peak 80watt and in 4 ohm 120 watt

Then theres a little he can use on cable or if theres anything else he needs, a subwoofer ?

Or just use the money he save to buy music

manicm

isn't it mostly power difference ?

Theres also the Nad D3045 2x60 watt peak 80watt and in 4 ohm 120 watt

Then theres a little he can use on cable or if theres anything else he needs, a subwoofer ?

Or just use the money he save to buy music

Yes the D3045 seems ok and the OP would be able to connect his Mac to it. From WHF's reviews of both components though the C368 is a step up in sound quality.

Me, I'd go for the C368 and save up for the MDC streaming module to get later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts