Amp for Mission M74?

laurencewild

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I've acquired an old pair of Mission M74 speakers and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what amp to pair it with? I have a budget of around £350.

Thanks!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
laurencewild said:
No real preference for new or used - just something that sounds good! I tend to listen to electronic music, mainly house.

You could look at NAD they give out quite a lot of bass which I think you may want with that music?

Not really up on used prices but Arcam Alpha 9s go for about £200, Im sure there are some good used amps out there for around £350.

For something more modern you can get Rega Brio Rs for about £350 nearly new, or ex-demo £400, not sure it will hav eenough power for your set up? Or Arcam A18 for £379 ex-demo. Ex-demo you often get full warranty.

laurencewild

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your replies! Having done a bit more reading, I like the sound of the Cyrus 2 and the Arcams (Alpha 9 and A18 ).

I'm looking for a warmer / bassier sound - any thoughts on which of these would be best? I also notice that the A18 is rated at 50W - would this be enough to drive the speakers well?

Thanks for your help!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For warmth I would go for the Arcam. For warmth and bass NAD are worth considering.

I would go for the Arcam A18.

50W should be enough for your speakers but depends on room size and what level you listen at.

Can you get to Richer Sounds, they have the A18 on offer with 5 year warranty, but I would hear it if you can.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
a decent second hand sony or marantz amp will be more than adequate for the m74's. i used a pretty useless old sony fe370 to drive a pair of m72's and when i stepped up to a cyrus 8vs2 there was not any night and day difference.

I reckon if you were to buy used, not to spend any more than £150 to £200.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts