Amp for Cambridge Audio 740C?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ahoy there!

I'm looking at getting some new equipment, and I recently heard my friend's 740A 740C setup. While I liked the definition I did find the sound just a bit over-clinical and lacking in emotion. So, I was thinking of pairing the 740C with an amp that might "warm" the sound up, just a bit. For £400 or under preferably. Any suggestions of the best in that range I should test, please?

Oh, and my speakers are newly-arrived EB Acoustics EB1s.

Cheers!

T

the record spot

Depends - IMO only of course - what you mean by "best". If you look at the recommendations of the mags, then there's a chance you'll still end up with clinical and dry (I like "detailed" myself, but that's often my tonal preference anyway).

The Yamaha AS-700 is well praised, but that might be a little too neutral for your liking (so might not resolve your problem), however, Richer Sounds are doing it for about £350 and you could pair it with the 740C instore to listen (or take it home and swap it later if you don't like it). Failing that, Harman-Kardon's HK980 amp might be worth hearing. The little (much littler) brother of their award-winning HK990 is underrated but could be the wolf-in sheep's clothing. If you can get past the weird volume control...anyway...£250 from about £350 I think in RS again.

Secondhand will give you more options - an Arcam Alpha 10 might be a very good bet and there's a couple in dealers going for about £400 or so. Very highly rated amp in its' day and well worth considering. Plenty of oomph but great dynamics and unlikely to be off the pace now with the passing of a decade.

matthewpiano

The 740A is quite a clinical sounding amp and particularly so in combination with the 740C.

The 640A V2 was a more fluid and musical sounding amp than the 740A and there seems to be a few around still. It would warm up the sound nicely without losing the detail. Failing that have a look at the newer 650A.

CD player wise I'd be inclined to think more in terms of 340C + DAC Magic. It will equal the 740C's performance with CDs but give you the added flexibility of USB input for your PC. You never know when you might want to listen to Spotify or lossless files through your hi-fi. You'll save some money too.

A

Anonymous

Am going to go out in the week and hopefully look at some of these suggestions with the 740C.

I've seen a second hand Naim Nait 5i in a local shop within my budget. Any thoughts on how that might go? I have heard Naim is best with other Naim equipment...

A

Anonymous

I've heard good things about the Apollo. Would love to give that a try. It can be kind of difficult finder dealers with the exact combination of equipment you want, though. At least in my experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts