Amp change

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your responses. I can also find these amps (used condition) in very good price.

Marantz pm 6006, Hegel h80, Cambridge audio cxa80, pioneer a9, yamaha a-s1000, yamaha a-s501, roksan kandy k2, pioneer a400(old amp), advance acoustic x-i60.

I know that some amplifiers i mentioned are in diferrent league but maybe a cheaper one cooperates better sonically with focal. For example i've heard that focal 906 with marantz pm6006 is a good combination.

I appreciate yor answers. Thank you.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've also found a yamaha a-s2000 for a great price. Is it worth it?

Has anyone listen to both hk 990 and a-s2000 to make a comparison which is better?

insider9

ivres said:
I've also found a yamaha a-s2000 for a great price. Is it worth it?  

Has anyone listen to both hk 990 and a-s2000 to make a comparison which is better?
It looks like you're looking for a bargain as opposed to the best match. Your choices are all over the place, nothing wrong with that but advising someone like this is very difficult.

Also I'd not compare it to your old amp. I'd compare it to your current Focal + Technics setup to see how you can improve what you have.

Remind us please. What sonic traits are most important for you? And most importantly what isn't Technics doing that you want it to?

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I could live with Technics-Focal. The result is very nice. If an old amp (1978) which was not an expensive or special amp makes focal playing so good, i suppose that replacing it with a newer one (in the price range i mentioned) will give a greater reuslt.

For example when i owned monitor audio bronze 2, i used to match them with the technics amp. The result was also good. When i added harman kardon hk 990 the result was so much better.

I suppose the same is gonna happen with focal which are better speakers than monitor audio.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You should have kept the HK990 ! Can you get it back ?

The HK990 is a superb amplifier and you will have to spend alot of money to equal, let aloan better it imo.

It would have been a very good match for the Focals. *sorry2*

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, i have regretted it...That's why i asked if yamaha 2000 is a better amp than hk 990. I can find it in very good price or I'll wait for a second hand hk 990. I have also found a second hand marantz pm11s1 in very good price but a little above my budget.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have found an hk 990 so i may end up buying it. I have also a good offer for a naim nait 5i-2 (italic).

I can imagine how the hk 990 will sound because i know the amp. Despite the fact that i've been suggested meany times to end up with a combination of focal-naim after of inernet search i 've read that naim nait 5i-2 may sound harsh which is my concern.

Has anyone heard this combination?

Naim nait xs may be softer and better option but i cannot afford it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Poor Harman. You will probably never own amp as good as that one. Shame it was playing through those terrible MA's.

The Technics SU-7700 is also very hard to beat. I sold my Roksan Kandy K2BT and kept the 7700, the Technics just sounds better to me. It's a hidden gem of the vintage audio world. It can deliver current in transient peaks like a boss, the lab test results are stunning. However, you will need to clean the pots, switches and speaker relay with specialty contact cleaner to get the best out of it. You'll be very surprised how much it will open up when its squeaky clean. The volume knob probably feels smooth when you turn it now. That's accumulated dust and crud. It has very short precise detens that audibly click when it's clean. It's a very good quality Matsushita pot.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Come on MA bronze are very nice and capable speakers in their price range...I had my technics 7700 serviced and upgraded so i took its best in sound terms... but when i connected MA with the hk 990 the sound was dramatically improved...

I had also heard the yamaha a-s1000 side by side with technics 7700 and although i expected that yamaha would be much better it wasn't... they were very close...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad you hear the Technics in its full potential, and of course there's no comparason to the HK. I wouldn't compare any Naim integrated to it either. There's a lot of engineering pedigree and knowledge behind it, not just capable hardware.

IMO Monitor Audio is noise making furniture. I wouldn't even aprove the hifi sticker on them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BTW I have the SU-7700 pushing a pair of 4ohm floorstanders with dual sealed chambers. Impedance dips to 2ohms and the Technics doesn't even blink. It still has the original PSU, no upgrades done, just recapped the main board.

Now I really want the SU-8600. *man_in_love*

insider9

Vladimir said:
BTW I have the SU-7700 pushing a pair of 4ohm floorstanders with dual sealed chambers. Impedance dips to 2ohms and the Technics doesn't even blink. It still has the original PSU, no upgrades done, just recapped the main board. 

Now I really want the SU-8600. *man_in_love*
There was SU-8600 for local collection within a reasonable distance (few hours driving) from where I am. I've bid too low on it as had too many amps then. It went for £68 in the end. The guy who bought it is trying to shift it for £350.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I wouldn't suggest buying Naim 5i-2 without listening. It's a super little amp but an extended demo is a must.

He already did 3 huge mistakes: bought budget MA's, sold an HK990, now looking into budget Naim's. Selling the rejuvinated SU-7700 and buying Naim 5i would be the pinacle of stupidity.

giphy.webp

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

There was SU-8600 for local collection within a reasonable distance (few hours driving) from where I am. I've bid too low on it as had too many amps then. It went for £68 in the end. The guy who bought it is trying to shift it for £350.

You're a dummy.

BwUpSK-CUAA94gR.jpg

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

Now I really want the SU-8600. *man_in_love*

You're a dummy.
Thanks, my wife's been saying it for years but it's always best to get a second opinion :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

You're a dummy.
Thanks, my wife's been saying it for years but it's always best to get a second opinion :)

Simon Cowell of Hi-Fi is never wrong.

article-0-0F02323400000578-828_468x329.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm uploading the hi-fi magazine lab tests of 35 amps, including the Technics SU-7700. Will share the Google Drive link with the PDFs, so you can compare the squarewave and current delivery of the Technics and its competition. Most amps, even the bigger and more expensive ones couldn't handle a 2ohm load.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts