Amp change

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

1211hk.inside.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That heatsink format is called a chimney. I don't think other manfacturers use them ever since the big Sansui and Technics era. Those are the biggest ones I've seen inside an amp. Convex cooling on steroids.

1239072-harman-kardon-hk-990-hk990-2-channel-stereo-integrated-amplifier-excellent.jpg

19601d1335552430-harman-kardon-hk-990-143_foto2.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My advice for the amp longevity is to raise it an inch on added legs, or even better seat it on mesh surface so air is coming up unobstructed completely. Those chimneys suck air like mad.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ivres said:
Vladimir please tell me your opinion.

Would you trade yamaha for harman or roksan kandy k2 or i should give more time to this combo?(yamaha-focal)

Today after listening about 3-4 hours I liked a little more this combination. So, either I got used to it or day by day the speakers play better beacause they have played just 20- 30 hours. Or both...

Even yamaha is not bright, i can now realize that it does not forgive bad recordings or bright radio stations etc...so it does not round the sound...Maybe this means neutral!

If I had that Harman only way I'd let it go is from my cold dead hands.

That amp has more history, pedigree and engineering behind it than any Sugden or Krell or whatever. It's design concept from Harman's golden years, a Matti Otala Citation XX progeny. I had its grandady the HK6900, best amp I ever had.

It also runs first few watts in class A to achieve minimal unmeasurable Intermodular Distortion (the one we hear and hate, unlike THD). That's why it runs hot even when idle. The high biasing and extremely high current delivery capability got it banned from the European market as too dangerous.

I'd keep that baby forever, recapp it in 15 years.

PS - keeping it has a downside that you will have no audiophile friends. People will suggest you 50W british integrated to replace the "AVR" Harman as "your first real hifi amp". 99% of people in this hobby are ignorants, it's your decision how much you prefer pats on the back over actual hifi.

+1 *good*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
27,000uF per channel, operating at +/- 60 V.

x10 200W 15A rated bipolar transistors per channel, speeding at 30MHz.

Preamps are slotted cards with RCAs dirrectl connected. Shortest signal path possible and I would say required in such high current environment.

Headphone amp is a dedicated specialized can amp TPA6120A2 by TI. I use this one for my AKGs, sounds clear and powerful.

The amp is cooking at 70C in idle mode, it's high biased class AB. You will listen to class A sound 90% of the time with this beast. Only downside: The Samxon chinese electrolytic caps are ****. They will crock out faster than premium japanese ones. Recapping is imminent.

I've heard it some years ago at a dealer and I was pleased it retained its dark sonic character like its predecesors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts