Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD High Res

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, I'm thinking of changing from Spotify over to Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD High Res, as I can do so for the same price as I'm currently paying for Spotify....

I realise TIDAL is the best option but can't justify the price difference at this moment in time.

My question is, I've just watched a review of Amazon on YouTube and it mentions that you need to check that your equipment supports 24bit songs?

I am running a USB from a Laptop gaming PC into the rear USB B connection on a Pioneer N50 DAC and then out of the RCA ports and into the back of a Marantz PM50 Amplifier.

I've read the Tec Specs of my N50 DAC, and it states the below.

The front USB socket is compatible with FLAC and WAV files (up to 24bit/96kHz) and is iDevice friendly, while to the rear the inputs include Ethernet, an asynchromous Type B USB connection for computers, optical and electrical digital and a socket to which the AS-BT200 adapter can be added to give Bluetooth audio capability.

When connected to a computer using the Type B USB or streaming over a network, the N-50 can support LPCM files of up to 32-bit/192kHz.

I connect my laptop via USB to the rear USB B socket, that supports up to 32 bit/192kHz, therefore will that allow the 24bit songs through?

Many Thanks in advance 😊👍

doifeellucky

The general feeling, though I’m sure some will disagree, is that CD quality is more than enough for most, especially if you’re coming from Spotify. I’ve not used it but Tidal HiFi is now half price so the same as Spotify premium. It’s probably worth trialling some of the others to see if you notice a difference. At the moment the discovery factor in Spotify is far more valuable to me and I don’t notice any real difference between it and CD. And to clarify my first comment relates to videos and articles I’ve seen that have said the quality of the recording is far more important than the bit rate.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Amazon HD is fantastic value if you are already a Prime member.

Sound quality is first rate too. I have an eclectic taste in music and didn't found Amazon's catalogue wanting.

The only reason I didn't continue subscribing is that the service is not Chromecast compatible.

I now continue to use the HD services of both Tidal and Quobuz.

I have ot subscribed to Spotify for years because of lack of SQ.

When (eventually) they get their finger out and catch up with the rest it may be the only service I use but they have been talking it up for 3 or 4 years and we haven't seen anything!

Reactions: Tinman1952

doifeellucky

I’m sure Tidal’s recent price drop is due to the upcoming, and is taking far too long, Spotify HiFi. With Tidal and Apple now at the same price I don’t think there’s any way Spotify can charge a premium.

doifeellucky

I really wouldn’t get too hung up on bit rates. Trial the CD quality (approx 4 times the data of Spotify highest quality) tiers of Amazon and Tidal (now the same price as Spotify) and see if you can hear a difference. Don’t be surprised if you don’t.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Vincent Kars

Will my system (listed in 1st post) be able to receive it? I. E the 24bit via the rear USB?

It is USB.
Part of USB is the device enumeration. On connecting, the DAC will tell the host (PC) its properties.
If you open the Win sound panel, it will list all bit depths supported by your DAC.
It wil report 32 ( as 32/192 is its max)
Anyway, choose the highest bit depth your DAC supports.
Bit more detail USB DAC

Vincent Kars

Just found out that Amazon HD is actually ‘an average bitrate of 850 kbps’ so not full CD quality of 1411

Might it be they are using FLAC (lossless compression) so full CD quality indeed?

Tinman1952

Just found out that Amazon HD is actually ‘an average bitrate of 850 kbps’ so not full CD quality of 1411.
As Vincent says 1411 is the bitrate for a lossless CD wav file. Amazon uses FLAC files. My lossless CD rips in a FLAC container on my music server also show an effective bitrate between 750 and 850 kbps. So full CD quality....👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts