Alternatives for Marantz CR502 & Monitor Audio Silver RX1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent hifi sound without roomfilling seperates and I have got my eye on the Marantz CR502 in combination with the Monitor Audio Silver RX1. I have already listened to the combination and, for the money, really like the sound, as well as the looks of both. The idea is to connect a Blu-ray player as well, since I'm not really into 5.1 systems.

However, I'm no expert on the matter and the stores I have been to had little to compare it to within the same price category. Anyone any alternatives I should look at?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi Glenmo, and welcome to the forums.

Would you consider second hand? This maybe a bit different suggestion, but just yesterday I happened to listen to a NAD L53 from a few years back. It's a 'normal size' reciever, but it comes with a good 2-channel amp, a dvd-player that doubles as a decent cdp and an AM/FM tuner. Works ok for dvd-movies (although the fake surround is not that impressive) and believe it or not, it's really a pretty good stereo set. It also looks well... erm... interesting to my eyes, but I've heard people describe it as beautiful. I heard it with Klipsch RB51 (good), but pair it with any decent budget speaker to your liking and you're done.

Jack

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Glenmo,

Currently a problem with good all in one systems are
that you might only get them with DVD player in them and not a Blu Ray player.
But then soon you will find more of them coming in. If you are going to
pair a Blu Ray player (a good one) with Marantz CR502, you can consider
Marantz upcoming ER803. Essentially its a similar model to CR502 but
with a blu ray player. But it is expected to cost close to 1000 pounds.
The other thing you can do is also to go for the replacement of CR502 which is CR603. Its same as CR502 but with the addition of Network Playing capability from your computer, Digital Ipod input and Bluetooth Wireless streaming capability (with optional equipment) and it will cost about 500 pounds.

Other than Marantz if you up your budget there is Arcam Solo Mini at double the cost.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Glenmo:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent hifi sound without roomfilling seperates and I have got my eye on the Marantz CR502 in combination with the Monitor Audio Silver RX1. I have already listened to the combination and, for the money, really like the sound, as well as the looks of both. The idea is to connect a Blu-ray player as well, since I'm not really into 5.1 systems.

However, I'm no expert on the matter and the stores I have been to had little to compare it to within the same price category. Anyone any alternatives I should look at?

Thanks!

I would look at the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speaker over the RX1. The Marantz can be a bit lively and the Tannoy's help to keep this in check.

There are alternative's at the price but you cant do much better than the Marantz unless you spend considerably more on the already mentioned Arcam Solo Mini, partner this with Dali Lector 1.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your fast replies!

I looked at the Arcam Solo Mini as well, but that one is more than double the price over here (? 1.000 vs ? 400). Imo the Arcam looks even better than the Marantz and I personally love the slot loading, but I thought the difference in sound quality wasn't worth the ? 600 extra...

I didn't know Marantz is about to release an all in one though! The ER803 looks impressive! I have seen the yamaha MCR-940, which also has a build in blu-ray player, but it looks a bit old school and I was afraid it wouldn't be able to do both sound and pictures very well and I would have to settle for less on either one of them or even both. And I was told the loading times are very long with all in ones.

The NAD L53 has DVD only and the looks are not really my cup of tea. I liked the word 'interesting' you used to describe it! :) Purely based on looks: If NAD where to come with a VISO 2 with blu ray, it would be a different story...

I'll have a look at the new Marantz and the Mercury's!

Thanks again & enjoy your weekend!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts