already want to upgrade..

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Why is hifi so addictive.m fairly new to the hifi scene and purchased the cyrus 8power and pre xpd.I ve ordered the sa1 to go with it, but something at the back of my mind keeps saying to upgrade..and i will probably sooner than latter.would i be better of selling my 8power and getting xpower or keep 8power and buy another one and use themas monos??apart from obvious increased power going down the 2x8power in mono road is the xpower still a far better amp??

A

Anonymous

stpierre76:

Hi all,

Why is hifi so addictive.m fairly new to the hifi scene and purchased the cyrus 8power and pre xpd.I ve ordered the sa1 to go with it, but something at the back of my mind keeps saying to upgrade..and i will probably sooner than latter.would i be better of selling my 8power and getting xpower or keep 8power and buy another one and use themas monos??apart from obvious increased power going down the 2x8power in mono road is the xpower still a far better amp??

If I understand the post correctly. You are thinking about upgrading your amp before you've even had a chance to listenen to it properly..... or am I wrong?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
First of all, you've picked the worse brand for someone with upgrade-itis. Cyrus has so many ways to upgrade.
emotion-2.gif

Secondly, the reason it's so addictive is because it's so much fun. It's an adrenelin rush and deeply entertaining to buy new audio equipment. Just like most other addictions really. Researching, planning, purchasing, receiving the boxes, unpacking, installing, and experiencing the thrilling new sound, it's deliciously decadent. Hmmm...talking myself into an upgrade just writing this.
emotion-4.gif

Thirdly, men like achieving goals. And climbing the hifi system ladder is a quest. We like quests. Unfortunately, there's never a finish line in this particular quest. A wise man once told me, "never collect anything that is still being produced as you'll never finish". Hifi is like that since there is no clear way to define success. And your toughest critic is yourself. Some people can never stop. I think I'm one of them. I also like to gamble...
emotion-10.gif

Oh yeah, IMO there's nothing wrong with it at all. Upgrade all you want and have fun as long as you're not using rent money or raiding the kiddies piggy bank. But do try and have a modicum of self restraint. It's worth resisting the urge just a bit....

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you about cyrus being the worst brand if one has the urge to upgrade..I thought it be a good idea to go down the cyrus road as i could at a latter date always upgrade.problem is, later never came but asap was around the corner.
emotion-2.gif
.i guess financially that will be my limit, so don t think i ll ever get the new mono300 but can t stop about a powerx or 2 8power to add to my system straight away..i ve checked the xpower and 8 power specs and indeed the trany is far biggewr.So what does that mean in terms of speaker load,efficiency....Will adding another power8 to my system and having them running in mono be better than a xpower.At the end of the day apart from extra watts, trany is still the same no???

anyhow, hope to read from you again, thanks mate

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
stpierre76:

Hi all,

A single 8 power will drive those speakers with ease. If you feel the need to upgrade, then just buy a second 8 Power, go mono on each and drive the SA1's to within an inch of their life!!! I would recommend upgrading the PreXP to the Qx DAC. It makes a big difference...

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Have you bought the matching stands for the SA1? If not, that's worth considering as a first upgrade...then a few months later you can consider an amp upgrade.

I like to stretch out the tweaking/upgrading - gives me something to look forward to all the time!

A

Anonymous

That's a good suggestion. I thought that the matching stands were significantly better sounding than my old Apollo A4. Somehow the Apollos were brighter and some bass was lost.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hi guys and thanks for all the inputs.interesting what you mentioned about the stands and that they would actually make a big difference.when i ordered the sa1(got to wait for shipoment to arrive before i can even get my hands on them...so sad) the dealer talked about thje stand and actually showed me an article about them..and to my suprise it was rather negative..then i decided to try its theory and listen to them with the dedicated stand, acatama stands, home made ones and on shelves.and to be honest i did not hear any real differences between the spendor stands and the home made ones or acatama ones..as for me they will be place on floating shelves ( at around 800mm igh)courteousy of a very inquisitive 1 yr old boy.

m slowly building my system and eventually the home theatre aqnd hifi wil be combining in the same room so i will not compromise on hifi and still enjoy big screen movies.I intend to buy 5 spendor sa1 speakers (and use cyrus power amps)to use as a 5.1 set up and by then my boy will be in age of understanding NO means no and not allowed to touch the gear and probably get a few smack along the way..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts