A massive THANK YOU

LowFeller

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Just want to say a big thanks to the regulars on this forum.

I have learned loads by lurking on here and ocassionally posting to ask for advice.

I recently acquired the final peice of kit in my system (P38 power amp) and for the past 4 weeks I have been in heaven listening to hundreds of cds.

This is a really well balanced system, and is well set up in my front room on a rack (from IKEA). It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Its soooo good I am still VERY EXCITED(!) about it a month later!!

My system is:

- Arcam A32 amp biamped with an Arcam P38 power amp

- Arcam CD192 cd player

- PMC GB1i speakers

- Acoustics Research EB101 turntable

- Van den Hul 102 III interconnects and Van Damm LC-OFC 4mm speaker cables

All purchased second hand except the cables and all in very good condition with a total cost of less than £2k.

I have been putting this system together over a 15 year period having started out with a budget separates system so its not like I have just just thrown £2k at this lot. Its been upgrade by upgrade over time and so I have enjoyed replacing each component every few years which has brought an obvious improvement (and much enjoyment) each time.

As well as being transparent, the sound is incredibly musical and well balanced. Fantastic soundstage, pace, depth, bass, mids and highs are all stunning.

There is space between each instrument and you can effortlessly pick out each instrument in a track whilst at the same time enjoying the overall sound which is just very musical and keeps you listening. (I have massive bags under my eyes because I keep staying up until the small hours because the sound just makes you want to keep listening).

What have I learned?

1. its all about synergy (and I include cables in that)

2. Buying second hand wisely is the way to go (there are loads of bargains out there, just be patient - I waited 9 months for my speakers to appear on another hifi forum which I highly recommend)

3. there is no substitute for hearing the kit yourself in your room/house -

(I have never bought something because I have been influenced by the star rating system What Hi Fi use but suspect some people still are - Its all about the synergy!!)

4. There is no need to spend loads on cables - cables do sound different but different is not necessaily better.

ie spending more does not necessarily mean an improvement and could even be detrimental to your ears.

Dont use cheap crappy cables but dont throw ££££ on this stuff either.

those of you who spend the time answering people's questions and trying to help are much appreciated.

(I dont get why anyone would waste their time posting snipey comments (trolling) just to get a rise - life's too short).

This forum has saved me money and lots of box swapping so I just wanted to say a big thank you before I retire from lurking on here further.

Cheers

LowFeller

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's always good to hear from people who have waded through the conflicting opinions, and arrived out the other side, happy with their system....which is very good btw.

LowFeller

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Michael

Cno - At some point I'll be looking into hearing what a Sneaky DS sounds like with the system although that will be some way off at the moment(!)

Cheers fella. Appreciate all you bring to this place.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LowFeller said:
Cno - At some point I'll be looking into hearing what a Sneaky DS sounds like with the system although that will be some way off at the moment(!)

Cheers fella. Appreciate all you bring to this place.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts