Albums that take you away......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Graham_Thomas:
Like this you mean Mike:
Bluegrass Van Halen with David Lee Roth

Nah, more like this, which is what all we Brits listen to in our pickup trucks, don't you know...?

51TJ1R5WT7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yeeehaaa, that was one kick-ass disc for the Dodge! Anyway, this guy really get me rolling down the 45 interstate...

2664032117_d04eb60d88.jpg

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:The In The Night Garden soundtrack in Lossless sounds pretty damn good.

Depending on the amount of mushroom tea you've had

ÿ

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm I like questions like this. Trouble is that there are so many but my top 5 would be:
[*]Marillion - Brave[*]AC/DC - Back in Black[*]Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing[*]Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes[*]Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Might be different tomorrow though
emotion-2.gif

Paul

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree Survivor, Ian McNabb is a great artist. I have had a few of his albums in the past but bought his autobiography "Merseybeast" a few weeks before Christmas. I would recommend the book and especially potency, which is his best of. It's a great collection of songs and would grace any collection.

I have been listening to Lonestar in my car today and have now had a change of heart. Lonestar (and bells of Berlin) takes me back to my youth, but is not good enough to grace a best of. I'd replace with So by Peter Gabriel (my first and maybe finest CD purchased on it's day of release)

A

Anonymous

Queen 11 does it for me , saying that any queen stuff grew up on it and it sends me in a differant place, wish i had as much time now as i had then to listen to it , listened last week to NEWS OF THE WORLD , its late still sounds as good as ever.

A

Anonymous

Speaking of female vocalists; Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin'. The CD sounds great.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, i remedied the femal vocalist lack by buying (again) Whoa Nelly by Nelly Furtardo, think her loose album is pants but this is sublime and as an unexpected bonus for a first album, really well produced and musical.

matthewpiano

Joni Mitchell - Clouds
Ralph McTell - Not Til Tomorrow
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream
Queen II (but I have to get it on vinyl again)
Anything by Strawbs or BJH.
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Pretty much ANY classical music transports me into a different world.

manicm

Mike_Schmidt:So how come you brits dont like good ol country redneck darn n tootin ground stompin cattle drivin deliverance style At my Jail we have bout 7 of you guys working for us and they all say the same thing no one in UK listens to it, is this true and they all laugh when asked? Cause if it is, Im moving Guns N roses Appetite for destruction or maybe Suicidal tendencies Lights camera revoultion

Mike, let me guess, your avatar background is Cape Town right? Your surname sound suspicious too
emotion-2.gif

manicm

Any Pink Floyd stuff (I think in the 70s Gilmour even exceeded Page as a guitarist), Prefab Sprout - any upto including Jordan: The Comeback.

And since I've been listening to much classical for a year I'd say Beethoven's 9th, even disregarding Ode To Joy, find the opera a bit grating, I'd say this is still some of the most sublime music I've ever heard.

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme springs to mind as well.

King Crimson.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
nick46:Queen 11 does it for me , saying that any queen stuff grew up on it and it sends me in a differant place, wish i had as much time now as i had then to listen to it , listened last week to NEWS OF THE WORLD , its late still sounds as good as ever.

Agree totally.

Not only musically, but it takes me back to being 13 again. Queen 1, 2 & Sheer Heart Attack are absolute masterpieces. I've told the Mrs I want 'Lap of the Gods..Reprise' played at my funeral.

;-)

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Queen, grew up with them, loved their stuff but rarely play them these days, innuendo ÿnow and day for the poignancy and a little something now and again for nostalgia, such a shame freddy died, think they had so much more left in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Isley Brothers - Get Out Your Guns (best album, ever IMO)

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On

The Smiths - Meat is Murder

Tim Buckley - Greetings from LA / Happy Sad

Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Misfits - Static Age

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
The one that does it for me is Brave by Marillion, and Paulq I'm glad to see someone else likes it, coz I was starting to form the opinion that I was the only one.As well as that, The Wall by Pink Floyd is a regular visitor to my CD player - shame it's on two discs though (I am SO lazy!)

A

Anonymous

Ray LaMontagne -

Till The Sun Turns Black

Gossip In The Grain

One Lonesome Saddle

Introducing Raycharles LaMontagne

Green Album Demo Disc

The OLS Sessions

All of these have much better songs than the over-produced Trouble album plus the original versions of the songs from Trouble on the unreleased albums.

Sweet, Sail-away stuff :)

A

Anonymous

Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther

Mark Lannegan & Isobel Campbell - Sunday at Devil Dirt

David Crosby - If Only I Could Remeber My Name

Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatourium

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:Hey manicm that picture is at the Calgary Zoo in Canada. No suspicion here....well maybe a little LOL

So you work in the Canadian Prison Service then ?

A

Anonymous

to bring in some current albums

lara marling - alas i cannot swim

antony and the johnson - the cryling light

frank turner - love, ire and song

elbow - the seldom seen kid

then you have classics such as

pink floyd - wich you were here, dark side of the moon

echo and the bunnymen - ocean rain

the beta band - the 3 E.P's

paul weller - stanly road