AKG K451

JJ

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My AKG K451 finally arrived, after much anticipation.

I needed something that would stay as both my SoundMagic E30 and Dr Dre Monster PowerBeats kept falling off.

What I am astounded by is it's sound quality - It's RUBBISH.

How did What Hi-Fi give it a Product of THE YEAR 2012 Award and 5 ****????

I'm thinking of getting the AKG K550. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I've the 550's They sound much better but You need a big head. On the smallest setting they are a bit loose on me and not overly comfortable imo.

I'm looking for an alternative, which is a shame because they do sound nice.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I bought these the other month there and tbh you must have a bad set as they sound real good.

My son has soundmagic E30's as well (I bought em mind/santa) They sound nice but not as nice as the AKG 451's.

AGK 451 a five star ? .... you bet they are :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If the k451's are anything like the k550 then I am not surprised. I find the k550 flat, utterly lacking in bass and screachy highs too! If you can stretch to the the SoundMAGIC HP100 you will be a lot happier, they make the AKGs sound so bad and you already know the brand at least. I don't know why whf keep singing AKGs praise so much, a lot of people who try them out next to Beyers, Sennheisers, SoundMAGIC walk away from AKG. The K701 has some redeeming features but only if you throw a stunning amp at them and still don't mind pretty weak ass bass.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
If the k451's are anything like the k550 then I am not surprised. I find the k550 flat, utterly lacking in bass and screachy highs too! If you can stretch to the the SoundMAGIC HP100 you will be a lot happier, they make the AKGs sound so bad and you already know the brand at least. I don't know why whf keep singing AKGs praise so much, a lot of people who try them out next to Beyers, Sennheisers, SoundMAGIC walk away from AKG. The K701 has some redeeming features but only if you throw a stunning amp at them and still don't mind pretty weak ass bass.

I have much better Sennheisers than my AKG's but they do sound good for the money.... unless near deaf. :)

camcroft

I think these headphones are aimed more at the portable market.I wouldnt use them with my home system because I dont think that they are made for that purpose.I have some and I think that they sound good I only use them out and about.If you payed £1000++ for your system you cant expect £50 headphones to be that good.Would you put £50 speakers on a system costing that much ?

Phlegm

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
AKG451 s are excellent sound. Give them some time. Could yours be copies?
smiley-frown.gif

JJ

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so unless Richer Sounds sell fakes!

To my ears they were very flat sounding and had zero dynamism.....

'Crisp and authoritative' it definitely isn't, I'm afraid. :doh:

Thanks everyone for their input.

Correction : My SoundMagic is the E10.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts