After calibration your TV warranty is void!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Heard someone on AV says this about his Samsung plasma, just wondering if anyone else knows anything about warranties being void after calibration? It's a worrying thought...

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
I don't see why, you're only adjusting the settings. That isn't going to void the warranty. Anyway, how would they know?
The picture settings are locked in, but they probably wouldn't realise unless they checked.

D

Deleted member 2457

Here it is, in the comments section at the bottom:

http://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-f8500-ps51f8500-3d-plasma-tv-review.544/page-2#tabs

From HDTV:

Will calibration void my TV’s warranty?
No. Modern flat-screen televisions have calibration controls available in their user menu, so there’s rarely any need to access the service menu.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/calibration

Paul.

The manual on Samsungs do claim entering the service menu will void warrenty. So if the calibrator enabled the daylight/nightime profiles which have to be enabled in the service menu, they could in theory void the warrenty. You are right though, they would have a tough time enforcing that in front of trading standards.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
The manual on Samsungs do claim entering the service menu will void warrenty. So if the calibrator enabled the daylight/nightime profiles which have to be enabled in the service menu, they could in theory void the warrenty. You are right though, they would have a tough time enforcing that in front of trading standards.
That is worrying although I am pretty sure Oldboy didn't have any problems like that when he got his Samsung fixed, but I am pretty sure he got a new screen.

Something to be aware of though.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
It's BS by one ignorant Samsung employee. They won't know unless you tell them. Besides, that argument won't stand in front of Trading Standards.
Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Think you would be fien, but best not say anything.

Gel is is looking to back his under warranty to get an OLED...
Possibly, I have sent a price match. *wink*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
The manual on Samsungs do claim entering the service menu will void warrenty. So if the calibrator enabled the daylight/nightime profiles which have to be enabled in the service menu, they could in theory void the warrenty.

When Stephen Withers calibrated all four of my plasma sets last year (one Samsung, two Pioneer and one LG) he did not have to enter the service menus to do so, he just used the normal (Movie or ISF) presets and adjusted them, so I should be fine.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Paul. said:
The manual on Samsungs do claim entering the service menu will void warrenty.  So if the calibrator enabled the daylight/nightime profiles which have to be enabled in the service menu, they could in theory void the warrenty.  You are right though, they would have a tough time enforcing that in front of trading standards.
That is worrying although I am pretty sure Oldboy didn't have any problems like that when he got his Samsung fixed, but I am pretty sure he got a new screen.

I had no issue what so ever gel and the service menu was never used to calibrate my TV.
I would say why would picture adjustment menus be on a TV if using them voids the warranty? Sounds like scare mongering to me.
And yes I had the panel replaced with no issue at all, the repair guys noticed my THX glass plaque and even commented that it was a good move to get it calibrated!

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Paul. said:

I had no issue what so ever gel and the service menu was never used to calibrate my TV. I would say why would picture adjustment menus be on a TV if using them voids the warranty? Sounds like scare mongering to me. And yes I had the panel replaced with no issue at all, the repair guys noticed my THX glass plaque and even commented that it was a good move to get it calibrated!
Cheers mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts