Aerial signal strength Freeview

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Last year I had a few aerials in the loft and was having a few picture problems, pixelation picture locking etc, so I had a new aerial and multi output amplifier fitted in the loft, shielded coax. All was good perfect picture.

Just before xmas I upgraded my tv to a Panasonic pz80 to get full hd. Great tv but started getting a problem with ITV, CH4, CH5 etc which are all transmitted on freeview ch48. There was no problem with any other tv in the house so I thought I had a faulty tv. The retailer would check it for me but had to take it away which I didn't want so I started checking for other solutions first.

Started swapping leads, checking plugs etc. Couldn't find anything. After a bit of research I found out that my signal could be TOO STRONG!!!!.

I purchased a variable attenuator for £2.80, fitted inline and guess what, everything sorted.

I would never have believed it TOO STRONG A SIGNAL IS JUST AS BAD AS A POOR SIGNAL.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Interesting post , hopefully Daveh75 will be able to explain this . Virgin did change attenuator on my old box a couple of years back when I complained it kept freezing needing reset 2-3 times a day and it did resolved issue can't remember if it was a higher/lower one they used.

A

Anonymous

I have had a similar problem. All my DVD's PVR's and TV's are Panasonic and all were bought within a year of each other but they report widely different signal strength and quality readings even when connected (one at a time) to the same aerial outlet in the living room. One ot the TV's is boarderline "too strong" on one mux but it copes OK 99.9% of the time.

daveh75

beater:Hi Andy H, what were the picture problems you were having on ITV, CH4, CH5 etc.Can't speak for Andy H, but too strong a signal normally exhibit's similar symptom's to a weak signal.... i.e, picture blocking and/or freezing and popping/cracking of sound.

daveh75

kena:Interesting post , hopefully Daveh75 will be able to explain this Its true that too much signal is as much of a problem as a weak signal,but not in the way you might think! It's actually the terrestrial analogue signal's that are "too strong" causing the problem and the effect it has on the weaker digital signal's.... i.e increased noise(interference) on the digital signal which leads to increased errors of the digital information. Incidentally the problem will go away with completion of digital switchover.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I've not answered straight away I've just got in from work.

All the symptons were just as Dave75 says.

It's only happening on the new tv though so I assume it's more sensative than the rest.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:kena:Interesting post , hopefully Daveh75 will be able to explain this Its true that too much signal is as much of a problem as a weak signal,but not in the way you might think! It's actually the terrestrial analogue signal's that are "too strong" causing the problem and the effect it has on the weaker digital signal's.... i.e increased noise(interference) on the digital signal which leads to increased errors of the digital information. Incidentally the problem will go away with completion of digital switchover.

What does this mean?

What is the effect of the 'analgue signal' upon the digital?

Bosth signals are analogue, one in decoded to a didital form.

Please could you help me to understand the effect you are describing.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS