A question about aerial sockets and diplexers?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
In the past, I've replaced a single outlet TV wall socket, fed by a single co-ax cable (down lead from the aerial), with a twin outlet diplexer fitted socket. The twin outlet being marked and used by me, for both TV and FM/DAB. (n.b. I have a distribution amplifier in the loft which combines TV and FM/DAB signals from their separate respective aerials).

My father-in-law now wants to replace one of his TV sockets with a twin outlet version, but for use with 2 TV receivers....replacing an in-line co-ax splitter for neatness and less clutter.

There is a single co-ax cable from the aerial, feeding the socket.

I've been searching for a suitable twin outlet socket, but all I can find is....

1. Diplexer sockets marked TV and FM/DAB on the respective outlets (the type I have used before myself)...or...

2. Twin sockets, both in marked (TV) and unmarked form, but which are designed to be used with two separate co-ax aerial feeds (i.e. no splitter or diplexer).

There doesn't appear to be any type of splitter, or diplexer twin socket designed for splitting a single co-ax TV aerial feed to two TV outlets, or at least marked as TV outlets.

My questions are....

1. Can the TV + FM/DAB type of diplexer socket be used as a TV + TV socket, without any undue effect on the quality of the TV signal?

In other words, is the diplexer circuitry designed to filter the signal provided to the outlet marked as "FM" or "FM/DAB", in a way that would be detrimental to the quality of a TV signal (i.e. optimised to extract an FM/DAB signal)?

2. As the TV signals are now digital, does it matter anymore, or are there other issues in play?

Z

TRENDING THREADS