AE/Mac/ new BT Homehub

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BT is sending me the new Hub because I've changed payment options, but my existing Homehub (the older white one) connects all my wireless devices* fine.

Is there anything to be gained in swapping the older Hub for the newer one or should I just have it as a standby option?

Oh, and if I do use the new Hub is it simply a case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new one?

Or do I need to input the WEP(?) code thingy again into all my toys, as listed below?

*devices:

Airport Express
PS3
iMac

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson:BT is sending me the new Hub because I've changed payment options, but my existing Homehub (the older white one) connects all my wireless devices* fine.

Is there anything to be gained in swapping the older Hub for the newer one or should I just have it as a standby option?

Oh, and if I do use the new Hub is it simply a case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new one?

Or do I need to input the WEP(?) code thingy again into all my toys, as listed below?

*devices:

Airport Express
PS3
iMac

Your devices will "see" the new hub but wont talk to it until you type in the new WEP code.

I'd use your new hub and keep the old one as backup.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Actually, if everything is working fine, I'd keep using your old one and leave the new one as a backup - no point in rocking the boat if you don't need to.

The new hub may well be 802.11n compatible which means it will create a faster wireless network than the old 802.11g network. However, unless you intend to stream video round the house over it, this isn't really necessary.

A

Anonymous

Agreed. If everything is working and doing everything you want from it, then leave it be.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Cheers folks.

Everything does seem to be working well, so I'll keep the new Hub as back up.

In fact, the old Hub once positioned downstairs has been brilliant. Virtually zero dropouts with AE and great PS3 connectivity - often at the same time. Radical!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts