Advice required about earphones

chris422

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

This is my first post on this site, and hopefully not the last. Anyway, I need some advice on earphones. I'm no audiophile, but I love music, and I listen to a wide variety of music. Anyway, my previous earphones were Beyerdynamic DTX80's (which I loved), but they have finally packed it in after multiple repair sessions with the jack. So now I am looking for a new pair of earphones, which provide great all round dynamic sound, without being laid back on the bass. Now, I don't have a big budget since I'm a student, but I suppose I will be willing to pay up to £120. I know for this price it is hard to get both decent sound, a good seal and acceptable build quality. So far, I have looked at the Grado iGi's, the Shure SE215 and SE315, and a few other brands that are recommended through other review websites. I will not be requiring them for running etc, mainly for home use and with my Galaxy S4 (no call features or built in mic is need nor wanted).

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I am totally lost as what to do, there are no simple reviews pointing towards one pair, one review says they are great, another says the sound could be better, the build quality is poor etc, so any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Chris.

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Where can you buy them at the price ? I have seen them for £129 at Home AV Direct, but not as low as £99.

I have a similar query: I am looking for some in-ear monitors that match the sound of my old Shure SE210 (sadly stolen) and my B&O Earset 3s. These both have lots of detail, good mid-range and a reined-in bass. I have tried the Shure SE115m model and the B&W C5s and both have too much bass for me. The Shure SE115m is more comfortable and a better noise isolator than the B&Ws, but the C5s have a better sound. Until the bass kicks in, that is, as it is too unruly. I understand the the Shure SE215 has more bass, but have not heard them. Does anyone know how these and the SE315s compare?

So, any advice on some that has a similar sound signature to the SE210s or the Earset 3s would be greatly appreciated. I cannot, sadly, afford the B&O H3 (£199) in-ears, but have seen some 2nd hand Shure SE500s and SE530s on eBay for more reasonable money. What is the bass like on these?

Finally, how do the Klipsch X10i earphones sound. I know that they get great reviews. Wold it be worth buying a new pair of these, rather than a 2nd hand pair of SE530s. i have no experience of the Klipsch sound, but have come to love the lean sound of my Shures and the B&O pair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi I replaced my Shure 110 with Klipsch X10i they are far more detailed than the Shures with a very good midrange. Bass wise I'd say its there but very controlled and tight and in know way overshadows colours the rest. A very clean sound.

Noise isolation is excellent and they are supremely easy to put in and get comfatable. And comfortable they are I use mine in bed!

Build wise the cables seem very flimsy. I enjoy them.

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have heard that the cables are flimsy. The purest in me has this dream that I will find them as magical as everyone says and then, in two years when the cables have finally become terminally damaged, I will have them reshelled by Unique Melody or similar and thus continue to enjoy them for years to come. The realist in me thinks that my beautiful wife will object to me spending £300 (in total) on a pair of earphones! Ho hum.

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't do it. Couldn't spend the money on the unknown. I bought a pair of Shure E3c earphones on eBay, £38 delivered. They are brilliant. Remind me of my old Shure SE210 and E2c, but simply better. Yep, I played safe. Happy, though. Smiling broadly, in fact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts