Advice on complete new system Please

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A relative has just offered to buy my existing (ancient) hi-fi system from me. I am therefore in a position to buy a complete brand new system. I want a separates system with a cd player, an amp and speakers, and also want to be able to play my Creative Zen through it. Budget is about £1,000. Speakers need to be smallish/bookshelf as it's a small room. I know a lot of you are audiophiles, so would appreciate your advice as to how to go about this. What kit would you recommend ? Where would you suggest I buy it from - I live in west London, but all the shops seem to be either very low end, or incredibly high-end. What percentage of my budget should I allocate to each component ? My musical prefernaces are guitar rock - REM, Jackson Browne and the Who and reggae. Thanks in advance - I'm excited, but aware I really need some help here.

A

Anonymous

Excitable Boy:A relative has just offered to buy my existing (ancient) hi-fi system from me. I am therefore in a position to buy a complete brand new system. I want a separates system with a cd player, an amp and speakers, and also want to be able to play my Creative Zen through it. Budget is about £1,000. Speakers need to be smallish/bookshelf as it's a small room. I know a lot of you are audiophiles, so would appreciate your advice as to how to go about this. What kit would you recommend ? Where would you suggest I buy it from - I live in west London, but all the shops seem to be either very low end, or incredibly high-end. What percentage of my budget should I allocate to each component ? My musical prefernaces are guitar rock - REM, Jackson Browne and the Who and reggae. Thanks in advance - I'm excited, but aware I really need some help here.

That's a good budget and for me; decent 2nd hand items from the likes of eBay will always give you more 'bang for your buck'
emotion-1.gif

Would you like all seperates or would you look at a decent all in one system such as the Arcam Solo Mini or the Marantz CR603?

Something along the likes of the Marantz PM6003 amp, CD6003 CD player and some Dali Lektor 2 or Monitor Audio BX2 speakers on Atacama Nexus 6i stands with Chord CrimsonPlus interconnect and Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable would be a superb set-up

You could maybe consider the Rotel RA04SE amp instead of the Marantz or even the NAD C326BEE amp; likewise look at the NAD C545BEE CD player or possibly a decent 2nd hand Arcam CD72 or CD73 CD player.

Other speakers to look at IMO would be the B&W 685's, QUAD 12L2's and possibly the Monitor Audio RX1's...

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Excitable Boy:
A relative has just offered to buy my existing (ancient) hi-fi system from me. I am therefore in a position to buy a complete brand new system.

Might be good to know what your 'ancient' system consisted of? And as hifilover has suggested the Marantz pairing of amp and player should provide a smooth refined sound, but might not suit your tastes if you like your music 'rough and ready'.

matthewpiano

For a big-boned and driving sound I'd suggest NAD C545BEE, NAD C326BEE and B&W 685 speakers. If you want something a bit more refined but still with plenty of punch I'd go for Marantz CD6003, PM6003 and a pair of KEF Q300s.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
If you want to buy new for your budget my first port of call would be Richer Sounds and listen to some of the WHF award winners.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your advice/input. Have read a lot and listened a lot to different things. Am now thinking of going for the Marantz PM6003 amp, the Marantz CD6003 CD player and Monitor Audio Silver RX1 speakers.

Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts