advice on closed in floorstanders

chinmaster2011

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
morning all,

could anyone give me some advice please ? i am looking to purchase some new floorstanding speakers, unfortunately the have to be quite close to the back and side walls on both sides, i have a cyrus 9 pre power mono block combination. my musical tase are across the board and a lot of home cinema.

budget around £3k

thanks in advance

chinmaster2011@hotmail.co.uk said:
morning all,

could anyone give me some advice please ? i am looking to purchase some new floorstanding speakers, unfortunately the have to be quite close to the back and side walls on both sides, i have a cyrus 9 pre power mono block combination. my musical tase are across the board and a lot of home cinema.

budget around £3k

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

That's an awkward position for most speakers to handle without sounding boomy. Can you actually get to audition any recommendations?

I would suggest you look at some that have home cinema layouts in mind like the excellent Quadral Chromium 8, which although rear-ported, has been designed to be used close to the rear wall. HiFi World really rated them. Cost approximately £1800

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of the rear-ported Quadral's Al mentions, I respectfully would suggest you look elsewhere. They are absolutely amazing speakers but I wouldn't personally want to run them near walls. I do hear that some Rega models work well under your desired conditions but I've no experience.

There is a type of design that will work against walls & they are so-called open baffle models. They are essentially boxless so need the wall to give any bass. Unfortunately, most of these designs are DIY. Also Google clue speaker.

busb said:
As an owner of the rear-ported Quadral's Al mentions, I respectfully would suggest you look elsewhere. They are absolutely amazing speakers but I wouldn't personally want to run them near walls. I do hear that some Rega models work well under your desired conditions but I've no experience.

There is a type of design that will work against walls & they are so-called open baffle models. They are essentially boxless so need the wall to give any bass. Unfortunately, most of these designs are DIY. Also Google clue speaker.

I bow to your greater knowledge of the Quadrals. It was just that every review I have seen mentions their ability to work close to walls.

I can see that rear port could make that tricky though. Next to open baffle you have the good old sealed-box type speakers, some of which are good against rear walls.

Squidders

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
My PMC Twenty.23 speakers are front ported and work well close to my wall. The Twenty.24's are easily in your budget and sound very nice indeed. Maybe worth a listen.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Check out ATC SCM40s. Amazing speakers and work well close-ish to a wall as they are sealed. I've not heard the with your amp but the monoblocks should have plenty of power.

As with all recommendations, home demo is essential!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts