advice for solution required

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
I have got a v. large CD collection (circa 50,000) and a large number of songs itunes (approx 100,000!) which are on external HDD (not really relevant!) but due to impending house move I now need to be able to play both CDs & itunes through a single set of speakers as I have had to sell my hifi- long story!! What would be the best sounding method to do this so I can have PC connected, ipod or CD player connected so same speakers. To compound the issue, space is of the essence as well. I would like something like Arcam Solo(mini?) or maybe Cyrus? Budget is around the £1,500 mark. I thank you for your suggestions

A

Anonymous

Get yourself an Arcam Solo Mini and then plug your PC into it and buy yourself a decent DAC for the PC around £200-£300. I have forgotten the same of the infamous one everybody recommends...but that should do it anyway! This will give you fantastic quality and ease of use without compromising space! (Big Smile)!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="knacker"]I have got a v. large CD collection (circa 50,000)[/quote]

That is one VERY large collection of cd's...........Even if you listened to 5 different cd's each and every day it would still take over 27 years to go through the whole of your library!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No chance of boredom there then i guess.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bluedream"]
[quote user="knacker"]I have got a v. large CD collection (circa 50,000)[/quote]

That is one VERY large collection of cd's...........Even if you listened to 5 different cd's each and every day it would still take over 27 years to go through the whole of your library!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No chance of boredom there then i guess.
[/quote]

Glad I don't have to pick a tune at your house

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Strangely low budget for soeone with 50,000 legit CD's?

Sell them. start again with a high end system and money to spend on music you're gonna listen to.[/quote]

Good idea. At even £1 each you could sell £49,500 worth and buy yourself something special

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
fr0g,

why would I want to sell any of my cd collection that has taken me years to establish? As someone who used to own a record distributors for a number of shops, I was given a very large amount of discs by record companies, artists etc.

As for my budget, at this time I only have around the figures I said as I am building a new house and can't persuade her who must be obayed to "waste money on not important areas
emotion-8.gif

Any recommendations for speakers for the Arcam solo/mini? Ideally I would need desk based or at worst shelves for time being

A

Anonymous

Bowers and Wilkins 686 or perhaps Monitor Audio BR2...but I think the B&Ws are best. If you want to go more expensive, try ProAc Reference 8.

A

Anonymous

I think the SOLO is better than the mini, however if space is at a premium the mini is a real gem.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="knacker"]
fr0g,

why would I want to sell any of my cd collection that has taken me years to establish?[/quote]
Because you cannot possibly listen to them all. And selling some would get you a much better system. I mean where the hell do you keep them all?[/quote]

Is it really our buisness to ask such questions?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="knacker"]
fr0g,

why would I want to sell any of my cd collection that has taken me years to establish?[/quote]
Because you cannot possibly listen to them all. And selling some would get you a much better system. I mean where the hell do you keep them all?[/quote]

Is it really our buisness to ask such questions?[/quote]

Not really, he can do as he pleases imho. If he wants to collect cd's, so be it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Bowers and Wilkins 686 or perhaps Monitor Audio BR2...but I think the B&Ws are best. If you want to go more expensive, try ProAc Reference 8.[/quote]

the B&W 686s need huge power to sound good.About 100w per channel.When i demo'd them they sounded really poor ( boxy closed in dull sound) until hooked up to a roksan kandy, and even then they were duff at low volumes.Does the arcam solo have that kind of power?

A

Anonymous

Good point. I forgot about that! Nowonder I thought that Rotel RA-04 was gutless! The Solo has 50 watts per channel at 8ohms. BR2s or ProAcs then?

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I love the sound of CD's. However, I would suggest selling also but only after having stored them all onto hard disk - a lot of space required, but you could do it in stages.

With the money buy a few top end multimedia players and some truly awesome kit that most of us can only dream of.

That way you'll have all your musical library on hard disk and you will create a sound that surpasses anything you are thinking of purchasing at present!

A

Anonymous

But surely having copies of CD's you no longer own would be infringing copyright law!!!!!!!1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts