Adding external fuses to a amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Some of the solder joints look a little messy for a machined PCB. Also there's discoloration to the PCB around them. Like I said I hope I'm wrong about this. Look at about 2/3 of the way down across the boadrd there's about 8 joints I'd question. Each side of C6, C8, D1 and C4.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and good to see no burns and nasties happened. Whew!

I honestly think it will be a simple repair. The fall may have made some issue with loose fitting in conectors. But best to have a shop diganose it and test it on the bench under controlled conditions. They know the procedure, have the equipment and know-how.

There's nothing to be petrified about it. Any technician who fixes laptops, tablets and phones had way more problematic things to work with that this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Looking at this

Not sure it's not be tampered with. I hope I'm wrong.

What looks out of place? Soldering seems to be factory default, no hand soldering that I can notice.

Components are dirt cheap and easy to source. Should be a simple fix if anything on the PSU board failed.

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Looking at this

What looks out of place? Soldering seems to be factory default, no hand soldering that I can notice.

Components are dirt cheap and easy to source. Should be a simple fix if anything on the PSU board failed.

If that's the case, please igonore my paranoia.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Looking at this

We have much less to be paranoid now considering new info has come forward. Surely it's better to have the unit dropped and repaired than buy it with unknown defects s/h and play detective what could be going wrong.

Now its easy for the repair technician to wrap his head arround possible issues. Newlash needs to tell him this is a wall mounted digital amp. It fell on the ground and soon after the fuses in the amp popped. Please fix it.

That's it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Looking at this 

We have much less to be paranoid now considering new info has come forward. Surely it's better to have the unit dropped and repaired than buy it with unknown defects s/h and play detective what could be going wrong.

Now its easy for the repair technician to wrap his head arround possible issues. Newlash needs to tell him this is a wall mounted digital amp. It fell on the ground and soon after the fuses in the amp popped. Please fix it.

That's it.

Thanks for the detailed inspection. It in facts looks more like a computer than an amp.

Even I tried to physically check for any burn marks and any burning smell , but couldn't find any.

I was too scared to touch the capacitors fearing electric shock. They seem to be normal nichicon caps that I found on the net. But they are surface mounted I guess, so will leave them alone for now. My initial thought was to recap too, just to be on the safe side :)

Thanks again.

Unfortunately I couldn't go to the repair shop today, as I had to take my mum for a routine check up. Will try tomorrow :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts