Adding Another Pair Of Speakers

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Having just updated my speakers to Tannoy Precision 6.2s I have a spare pair of Tannoy DC6 SE (Standmounts). I was wondering if it would give a good sound if I connected up the spare set of speakers in the same room, a bit like suround sound i suppose. I would just give it a go but with the price of good quality speaker cable I thought I should ask you guys with more experience!

AntAxon said:
Having just updated my speakers to Tannoy Precision 6.2s I have a spare pair of Tannoy DC6 SE (Standmounts). I was wondering if it would give a good sound if I connected up the spare set of speakers in the same room, a bit like suround sound i suppose. I would just give it a go but with the price of good quality speaker cable I thought I should ask you guys with more experience!

This is not a good idea. NO.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Multiple speakers in any room requires expert knowledge of room Acousitcs to stop a complete cacophony.

Stop now .

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AntAxon said:
I feel I should go and stand on the naughty step or at least apologies to all you audiophiles.

Maybe just get in strop because you don't like the answer you were given. Surely there were only two possible answers to this question that pops up surprisingly often here, and if you weren't prepared to handle the negative maybe you should've just gone ahead and tried it to see whether you'd like it.

Some claim to like it, but the reason hifis are also called stereos is because the sound is stereophonic - i.e. the image (sound stage/positioning) is created by using two speakers (one for each ear), so additional speakers will smear that and it will not be like surround as mentioned above. Then again, some say they like the effect even though it spoils the stereo imaging and causes other potential problems with the soundwaves interacting (peaks and nulls?). I personally wouldn't bother because soundstaging is such an important part of the experience for me.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Quite the contrary I really appreciate the advice given to me by the members of this forum who have much more experience than I. It was my, perhaps poor attempt at humour.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AntAxon said:
Quite the contrary I really appreciate the advice given to me by the members of this forum who have much more experience than I. It was my, perhaps poor attempt at humour.
I owe you an apology. I'm not always that good at picking up jokes and/or sarcasm when I read forum posts. I'm sorry I misconstrued your meaning and replied in the manner I did.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It is generally a bad idea to 'just add a couple of extra speakers'. If you have a used decent 5.1 processor on a home theatre system, you will have seen the timing and phase hoops you need to jump through to set the system up correctly. This is to correct for the time taken for the sound to travel from speaker to your ear. In a simple 2 speaker setup, the speakers are approximately equidistant from the listener and the effect is not significant. Have one pair of speakers closer than the other, and without time/phase correction it sounds a mess.

if you want to experiment, there was a technique popular years ago called 'rear channel Hafler' it tried to synthesise a rear channel from the stereo difference signal. Google 'hafler speaker connection' and have a look. Personally I was never impressed, but it might work for you.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Andyjm, thank you for your very interesting reply. It does seem that adding another pair of speakers is a pretty bad idea. I'm really pleased I asked as it saved me buying quality speaker cable and then being disappointed with the results. I only asked because it seemed such a shame not to be using my Tannoy DC6SE (standmounts) as they are really nice speakers they just lack a bit in bass, hence the upgrade. It looks like they will be going on Ebay!

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily take them to straight to the internet, perhaps you might find a use for them in another room. A friend of mine once upgraded and owing to the way his house was laid out, quietly drilled a hole through the internal wall behind the amp and fed speaker cables through it (his amp had A and B speaker inputs). Basically a poor-man's multiroom setup, he was quite chuffed though.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi LDTM, after some persuading the Mrs agreed to me putting my spare pair of speakers in the lounge. I got some off cut speaker cable from Ebay and drilled through the wall of the Beatles room to the lounge. The speaker sound much better in their as there is more room to separate them for a better stereo sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts